Sign in to follow this  
Madcat

Onboard Caravan Charger

Hi, I'm new here and to caravanning. We recently bought a 2009 Lunar Delta RS. Overall we love the van but we have a problem with the leisure battery. ..or rather the on board charger. The battery at the moment is draining after only 2 weeks so my only conclusion is that the charger must have failed? Stupid question here but where would I find the on board charging unit? I have searched everywhere but cannot seem to locate it. Could anyone point me in the right direction as I have searched everywhere including all the handbooks with no luck. .. Thanks in advance, Cat.

The charger may be located behind the main control panel, the one with all the MCB's on it. IIRC, lift the right/ off -side lounge seat and you should see where the MCB unit is boxed in. You'll need to get the lid off this and then you should see the charger.

Hi, I'm new here and to caravanning. We recently bought a 2009 Lunar Delta RS. Overall we love the van but we have a problem with the leisure battery. ..or rather the on board charger. The battery at the moment is draining after only 2 weeks so my only conclusion is that the charger must have failed? Stupid question here but where would I find the on board charging unit? I have searched everywhere but cannot seem to locate it. Could anyone point me in the right direction as I have searched everywhere including all the handbooks with no luck. .. Thanks in advance, Cat.

I would also check to see what is still powered up, things like the TV aerial amplifier, the heater fan, tracker, alarm etc etc will all pull down on the battery.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the replies. It's quite difficult to get behind the MCB unit as it is all boxed in but will try and get a look later.

Easy way to test if the charger has packed in is to put a voltmeter across the battery terminals to check the battery voltage then do the same thing after connecting the van to the mains via the hook up, if the voltage at the battery increases in value then the charge circuit is working if no increase in voltage then charge circuit is suspect.

Sorry can't help with charger location though.

Bryn.

Probably a kettle type plug on rear of the charger, make sure it is fully plugged in ??

Atty

Thank you will try that too.

I've just had a similar problem, but mine was more dramatic. Once connected to the mains in my driveway, the charger (which is fitted in the top of the underbed MCB) decided to fry itself! The first clue was when I opened the van door and smelt a rather toxic smell, which I instantly recognised as burnt PCB. I tracked it down to the charger which is supplied by BCA and fitted to many different makes of van, including Bailey, Coachman and Lunar. Further investigation on the internet showed this part fails very often and costs around £100 to replace if you fit it yourself. Some failures and symptoms are less dramatic, but I decided to take it apart, and found several components on the board totally destroyed. Not wishing to replace it with another BCA unit, I found a company called Apuljack Engineering Ltd, who will supply their own modified version of this charger. It claims to be much more reliable, and has an intelligent charger and numerous safety cut outs. I rang the company, but they are waiting on a supply of components to make a new batch, and put me on their waiting list. They said they had had a "run" on these lately! I'm not surprised after reading comments on some of the caravan forums!

Changing the unit is a 5 minute job, (see the videos on their web site.) Fortunately I was a copier service engineer before retiring, so power supplies and such like are very familiar to me, but even with no technical knowledge, this type of charger is easy to replace. When I get the new charger, I'll see how it performs but I'd be very interested if any of you have already bought and fitted this one from Apuljack Engineering?

They call it the AE276 and its a direct replacement for the PS276-1-BCSM

Apuljack have a good reputation ;)

Apuljack have a good reputation

Thanks Paul, that's a relief as these chargers are not cheap items! The BCA chargers seem to be rubbish, so I didn't want to fit another one. Apuljack were very helpful when I rang them, If their charger is good, I think they will be selling many more of them!

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info!. We have someone coming out from a local caravan service company. The van is under a dealers warranty until September so if they find it is the charger at fault they will replace it for us under the warranty. I would be interested to find out how the Apuljack one performs though for future reference.

How about removing the battery and taking it to your local quick fit or the likes and get them to perform a heavy duty drop test on the battery. Usually its free, because they have an opportunity to sell you a new battery, if the test reveals a less than healthy battery. With the battery eliminated, then look towards the charging unit.

You say the battery is draining after 3 weeks, I assume that whilst the caravan is not being used and is not connected to EHU?

It may be that the leisure battery, at 8 years old, has reached the end of its life!!

Andy

For those of you possibly interested in replacing the troublesome BCA PS276 charger, I have today received an email from Apuljack Engineering to confirm my order of their new version of this charger. They now call it the AE276+ and its got some extra features, which I've copied from their email to me.

The AE276+ is a direct drop in replacement for the problematic PS276

2 year warranty

Added ventilation to avoid overheating

It has the same shape and size case and the same connectors

Intelligent 3 stage charger

Ultra-quiet internal cooling fan

Compatible with UK & European mains voltage

Fully tested to EU standards and CE marked

Can be used with or without battery

240V AC input

Suitable for 12v dc systems

For your information the new features are;

Precision laser cut case for a more accurate fit

Unique cable loop to positively retain the mains connector (common problem on the PS276)

Additional low voltage ‘mains on’ output for modern electronic systems

Power Factor Correcting (PFC) mains input for reduced interference

Mains power switch for easy control

Neon Mains indicator to ensure EHU integrity

Delivery to me should be next week, and the cost is £98 + next day shipping £7. 50 + VAT = £126. 60 Its a bit dearer than the old BCA unit which I've seen for around £100 but I'd rather pay the extra and go with this one. Hopefully it will solve my problem, and I won't have any other issues! I'll update this forum when it arrives and I've fitted it.

So, any feedback on the Apuljack unit? I've just ordered one to replace my charger which has been playing up, sometimes it works sometimes not. It refuses to charge after the 13 pin plug has been used, if left alone for over 24 hours then it works ok again, which no good when touring

Hi GKF,

I installed the Apuljack charger in my Lunar Lexon several months ago, and its been excellent. Delivery from Apuljack was fast, the unit was simple to fit and its performed exactly as advertised. After I installed it, I checked the voltage at the battery with a digital multimeter, and it performed as explained on their web site, with the voltage dropping in stages after the battery becomes fully charged. It performs in a similar way to a stand alone C-Tek charger I have which is an "intelligent charger".

When you receive your charger you will notice it has many more holes for ventilation in the case in addition to the built in fan, and a place on the case to secure a cable tie, if you need to secure the mains plug from falling out which I understand is a common fault with the old charger. I found the charger to be silent in operation, and although mine is under a bed locker, when checking its temperature before replacing all the panels around it, I found it to be only slightly luke warm and certainly not hot. I did find an extra white output wire on the new Apuljack charger which I asked them about, in my case on the Lunar it was not required, but is on some vans, so I just left it unconnected.

I've used the charger on two longish away trips to Clumber Park and York, and some local trips, plus its often on charge in my driveway at home. So far its been faultless, so I can thoroughly recommend this unit and have much more faith in it than the old PS276 unit which had a reputation for being unreliable. Here is a link for those that need a new charger, go to Apuljack you won't regret it, as they have a military engineering background, which says it all.

http://shop. apuljackengineering. co. uk/index. php?route=product/product&product_id=53

Edited by Bunce
duplicate post oops!

Often chargers provided by manufacturers inside the control boxes have insufficient ventilation for cooling; they then over heat and die. If you replace a unit it is best to mount it somewhere else with a good supply of air. These units get very hot and it is best to mount them with a gap between the unit and any supporting surface with off set blocks or the like.

• Like 1