Sign in to follow this  
Sea&Sand

Automatic Water Supply Control From Site Tap

A little knowledge of hydrostatics would have helped to realise that even the reducer opening as much as a pinprick hole feeds the full pressure into a static system.

You might like to check the specified max pressure for an Alde boiler, mine states 3 Bar. Possibly Alde don't know what their kit is suitable for, I take the view they as the designers could well do so.

I disagree with the 'site tap only opened enough to provide an adequate flow' has much relevance. Whether the tap is only slightly or fully open the pressure when there's no flow is the same. There would be full mains pressure available and it would only reduce the overall volume delivered over a given time.

There is a max pressure figure for the caravan plumbing and the pump by design delivers less than that as does a correctly working Aquasource. The same can't be said for mains pressure. At home ours used to be 6. 5bar and regularly meant the washing machine needed new electric valves. A piece of grit in the Aquasource valve will deliver full pressure but admittedly a lowish flow That pressure is almost certainly greater than the van pipework rating.

Certainly the answer is to close off the water supply or pump when absent whichever route is taken.

I no longer use the Aquasource because of the poor pressure to the taps and shower compared to the pump.

I have no personal experience with a failure, but when negotiating the cost of a new van got the Aquasource included in the price. When I collected the van the service manager told me "I'd never use one of those if I was you!". And went on to say that they'd dealt with several van floor repairs caused by flooding from that cause, that year.

Only anecdotal I know but the best I have.

Edited by TinShack

I'm a simple guy and when I went looking for the options as described I spoke to a salesman who directed me to the head of service and he said not to use a direct feed but to use an aquaroll indirect feed. This I have done and am very happy with it. Its cheap, simple and seems to be very effective.

Simple is always good in my opinion.

• Like 1

As said above even a small leak into a closed system will eventually bring it up to mains water pressure, may take an hour or more but would get there eventually. .

We've had a valve replaced in our boiler recently, luckily the pressure relief valve saved the day dumping excess pressure before anything worse happened. .

So how many folk have had their caravans flooded with thousands of pounds damage?

• Like 1

I think there have probably been many water leakage problems with the plumbing in caravans. Our last caravan was a Swift and it flooded twice, in both cases the semi-rigid tube popped out of the push-fit fitting. Swift knew there was a reliability issue at the time and it was never publicly stated what the real cause was. I was given a bag of free fittings by Swift and advised to change all that I could gat access to, while away in Spain. A friend of mine with a Bailey had the same problem. In neither case was the caravan connected to the mains water supply. Obviously there was an issue with the fittings. The same fittings would fail in any application i. e. a house.

Considering the risks of failure in a caravan I think of the following:-

A. Caravan with mains water connected via float valve in the Aquaroll, internal leakage of push-fit fitting, water pressure in caravan system drops, pump starts to flood caravan, Aquaroll supplies a scrillion gallons of water via caravan pump.

B. Caravan with mains water connected via pressure reduction valve (Truma/Whale), internal leakage of push-fit fitting, exactly the same consequences as A.

C. Caravan with mains water connected via pressure reduction valve (Truma/Whale), valve malfunctions and water pressure supply to caravan same as mains pressure. What would fail? Push-fit fittings and semi-rigid pipes are used in new build houses these days, and they are not known to be a problem. Even mains water pressure at up to 6 bar is only 90psi.

Edited by Ern

As I don't always stay on fully serviced pitches when touring the aquaroll always travels with me.

A DIY torbeck valve connection doesn't cost much so why spend loadsa money on a solution that has more risk of flooding.

As I don't always stay on fully serviced pitches when touring the aquaroll always travels with me.

A DIY torbeck valve connection doesn't cost much so why spend loadsa money on a solution that has more risk of flooding.

The attraction of the Truma/Whale direct connection is that the Aquaroll becomes unneccesary. Assuming one doesn't need an Aquaroll for any other site on tha trip, it's one less bit of kit to carry about.

So how many folk have had their caravans flooded with thousands of pounds damage?

That is the $64,000 question isn't it. Nobody has claimed either to have or even to know somebody that has suffered caravan flooding as a direct consequence of an AquaSource failure or an internal plumbing failure with either an AquaSource or an AquaRoll connected.

One wonders if opinions would change if the real world incidence of such flooding mishaps was to show that both methods were of equal risk. ..?

One also wonders if companies like Alde maintain records of boiler destruction arising from the use of AquaSource type connections. ..?

I've been using the whale aquasource for over ten years now, with no problems at all. In fact the aquasource limits the pressure to less than the on board pump gives, with just the aquasource the water only dribbles out of the taps, so I need the pump on as well to give a decent flow.

Never heard of a caravan flooding with the aquasource.

I have heard of more than one case where the Torbeck sticks open and the pitch gets flooded when the aquaroll overflows.

• Like 1

I imagine that after all this discussion that the OP has gone for a lie down.

Ian

• Like 2

I imagine that after all this discussion that the OP has gone for a lie down.

Ian

:D, I have been following all along Tandem Man.

The various view points are interesting.

I've been using the whale aquasource for over ten years now, with no problems at all. In fact the aquasource limits the pressure to less than the on board pump gives, with just the aquasource the water only dribbles out of the taps, so I need the pump on as well to give a decent flow.

Never heard of a caravan flooding with the aquasource.

I have heard of more than one case where the Torbeck sticks open and the pitch gets flooded when the aquaroll overflows.

Same here - never carry aquaroll nor waste water carrier. No problems whatsoever and, particularly those with onboard tanks, there is really no argument at all about risk. I switch to 'fill mode' every morning and once full, outside tap is off till next day but even without on-board tank with last van, I still used aquasource - great bit of kit.

Unless an internal pipe/joint fails. As soon as the pressure drops, the water pump will be activated to restore the pressure. It may achieve that pressure (depending on the degree of failure but as it drops again, so the cycle will restart) or it may not. Either way, unless the pump is switched off, the potential for internal flooding remains the same using a mains fed Aquaroll.

A standalone Aquaroll limits the flooding to a mere 40L in the same scenario.

So only 40Lt pumped into the caravan; that's OK then. :unsure:

I wouldn't have mains pressure feed to the caravan. I accept the likelyhood of failure leading to flooding is tiny, but the potential for damage and a ruined holiday and possibly caravan far outweighs the risk - in my humble opinion.

Worth mentioning is the Mid-Service Centre automatic pressure switch which cuts out after 30 seconds of low-pressure and high flow, which it interprets as a leak.

So only 40Lt pumped into the caravan; that's OK then. :unsure:

Nicely taken out of context there. ..

. .. only 40 litres (assuming the standalone AquaRoll is full) is obviously not ok but if I had to choose between a maximum of 40 litres OR heaven knows how many litres from a mains water connection on the day I'd gone out for the day.

It's all in the context. ..

Nicely taken out of context there. . .

. .. only 40 litres (assuming the standalone AquaRoll is full) is obviously not ok but if I had to choose between a maximum of 40 litres OR heaven knows how many litres from a mains water connection on the day I'd gone out for the day.

It's all in the context. . .

Nobody goes out for the day and leaves the mains tap on do they Boser Duck? Any road up, with the amount of holes in a van floor, doubt that the carpets would get much more than dampish!!

There's been several threads on here about leaking push-fit connections. Many times, it seems that the connection has leaked not because it's a bad design or faulty but the fact that the pipe hasn't been cut correctly, the pipe not inserted properly, connections have been strained etc. . All of these "faults" often come about because of poor installation at the factory, so there's the weak link as to why we get leaks in 'vans. Some will argue that all fittings aren't to John Guest (or similar) quality but that's another matter that 'van manufacturers' should address. Yet again, there's a price v performance issue which seems to be rife in the 'van world :unsure: .

So if we get a leak when on direct mains fed water, Aquaroll fed via mains or whatever, it matters not what the water source is but the numpty at the factory who put the plumbing system together :angry: .

Nobody goes out for the day and leaves the mains tap on do they Boser Duck? Any road up, with the amount of holes in a van floor, doubt that the carpets would get much more than dampish!!

Always leave the pump switched on and we invariably have a mains connected AquaRoll if the opportunity is there. Only problem we ever had was a poor joint under the washroom basin. Caught and fixed before it caused any damage though.

Some people never learn though :D

Always leave the pump switched on and we invariably have a mains connected AquaRoll if the opportunity is there. Only problem we ever had was a poor joint under the washroom basin. Caught and fixed before it caused any damage though.

Some people never learn though :D

Bit of a daft place to smoke it, I reckon. ;)

• Like 1

Can I have your very respected views please.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/122010-automatic-water-supply-control-from-site-tap/

A recent long repeat of this query for you to read.

I have and use an Aquasource. Maybe for almost 20 years. I would probably go for a water barrel valve if buying today, if the costs stacked up. But finding roll-flat food grade hose is not easy, and probably not cheap. I like how compact it is and store it in the original bag.

Service manager says: send 3s 4d methinks?

I don't doubt some internal floods occur from poorly fitted or (physical/frost)-damaged pipes and connections but not all will be resultant from use of PRV connections.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/122010-automatic-water-supply-control-from-site-tap/

A recent long repeat of this query for you to read.

I have and use an Aquasource. Maybe for almost 20 years. I would probably go for a water barrel valve if buying today, if the costs stacked up. But finding roll-flat food grade hose is not easy, and probably not cheap. I like how compact it is and store it in the original bag.

Service manager says: send 3s 4d methinks?

I don't doubt some internal floods occur from poorly fitted or (physical/frost)-damaged pipes and connections but not all will be resultant from use of PRV connections.

Agreed. I use ordinary blue hose with a 'tail' of blue flat from the aquasource about 18" long terminating in a male push connector.