Leisure Battery Charger/charging Advice

Hi all,

Hope some of you can advise me. I am pretty new to caravanning having only started 7 months ago. I went away over the weekend but had a right game with my mover as it kept cutting out. I live on a steep hill with a steep drive so using the mover is essential. Having spoken to someone on the site we were staying on they said they were having the same problems and that it is almost certainly the leisure battery not maintaining enough charge.

I bought a new leisure battery yesterday, the one linked below, and fitted it and found when I got home this morning using the mover was fine and it didn’t cut out.

http://www. alpha-batteries. co. uk/12v-platinum-100ah-agm-leisure-battery-agmlb6110l-ncc-class-a/

I want to make sure I look after the battery though and keep it charged but can anyone advise on how I should do this and which charger I should use. I have found the one linked below but not sure if this is the right kind of thing.

http://www. roughtrax4x4. com/electronic-smart-battery-charger. html?gclid=CNjjoq_MmdMCFQu3GwodnUoGAA

Any advice much appreciated.

Hi all,

Hope some of you can advise me. I am pretty new to caravanning having only started 7 months ago. I went away over the weekend but had a right game with my mover as it kept cutting out. I live on a steep hill with a steep drive so using the mover is essential. Having spoken to someone on the site we were staying on they said they were having the same problems and that it is almost certainly the leisure battery not maintaining enough charge.

I bought a new leisure battery yesterday, the one linked below, and fitted it and found when I got home this morning using the mover was fine and it didn’t cut out.

http://www. alpha-batteries. co. uk/12v-platinum-100ah-agm-leisure-battery-agmlb6110l-ncc-class-a/

I want to make sure I look after the battery though and keep it charged but can anyone advise on how I should do this and which charger I should use. I have found the one linked below but not sure if this is the right kind of thing.

http://www. roughtrax4x4. com/electronic-smart-battery-charger. html?gclid=CNjjoq_MmdMCFQu3GwodnUoGAA

Any advice much appreciated.

Hi markavfc

i assume that as you mentioned a steep drive that is where your van is kept

Is it not possible to to connect the van to a suitable power outlet from the house as the vans charger will keep the battery top up.

I have a large twin axle with quad movers connected to a waterproof outlet on the garage wall protected by an RCD of course and have no problem with the battery not having enough charge when needed to move the van off my drive.

As for the battery charger you mentioned, if you must charge it off the van seems a little cheap to me, i have a smart charger purchased from Halfords at a cost of about £50 wouldn't trust a cheapie charger with what can be an expensive piece of kit.

Edited by Talewis

i assume that as you mentioned a steep drive that is where your van is kept

Is it not possible to to connect the van to a suitable power outlet from the house as the vans charger will keep the battery top up.

Hi Talewis. Thanks for the reply. Yes I can and do plug the van into a power outlet but I was under the impression this will only charge the battery to 85% of its max charge and that every so often you had to fully charge the battery to maintain it/ensure it lasts.

Just wanted someone to point me in the direction of a decent charger, or confirm the one I have found is ok, and advise how often I should take it from the van and fully charge it.

Edited by markavfc

Spec Sheet Reads Well

attachicon.gifSpec. png

Agreed.

This is what they call a Smart charger, so can safely be left connected to the battery without fear of overcharging.

I'm sure there are those who will recommend a more expensive CTEK charger - The one you have appears fine to me.

Paul

The charger looks OK. IMO a charge up once a month for 24 hours is far better than leaving a battery cooking away contnuously.

Others may differ

The charger looks OK. IMO a charge up once a month for 24 hours is far better than leaving a battery cooking away contnuously.

Others may differ

Have had three vans over the past 6 years all were connected continuously, never cooked a battery yet :rolleyes:

I do like a bargain but stick by not buying a cheap charger however good the spec sheet looks

Take a look at this £34. 95 on ebay at the moment have had mine for the past 4 years excellent piece of kit

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Ring-Automotive-Intelligent-Smart-Battery-Charger-12v-car-bike-rsc504-/252241730385?hash=item3abac75b51:g:mi0AAOSwJkJWl20d

Edited by Talewis

Thanks for all the advice. Would I just buy this charger, or another smart charger, and leave it connected to the battery whilst it is on the caravan? or I could just connect for a day every couple of weeks or so?

Edited by markavfc

Have had three vans over the past 6 years all were connected continuously, never cooked a battery yet :rolleyes:

I do like a bargain but stick by not buying a cheap charger however good the spec sheet looks

Take a look at this £34. 95 on ebay at the moment have had mine for the past 4 years excellent piece of kit

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Ring-Automotive-Intelligent-Smart-Battery-Charger-12v-car-bike-rsc504-/252241730385?hash=item3abac75b51:g:mi0AAOSwJkJWl20d

Perhaps you've never seen the result of an exploding battery which has gone faulty when on continuous charge - makes a bit of a mess.

I've been specifying chargers and batteries and involved in the maintenance of all sorts of batteries over the past 40 odd years and those that are kept on continuous charge are very closely monitored, but as I said, each to their own

Edited by matelodave

That's a really good price for a good charger. I use a CTek charger on mine connected 24/7. This Ring charger should be equally happy doing the same. We fit CTek chargers to every one of these we build and incorporate the charging plug into the wiring harness

post-73226-0-61148300-1491831133_thumb.jpg

Perhaps you've never seen the result of an exploding battery which has gone faulty when on continuous charge - makes a bit of a mess.

I've been specifying chargers and batteries and involved in the maintenance of all sorts of batteries over the past 40 odd years and those that are kept on continuous charge are very closely monitored, but as I said, each to their own

Obviously there are times when things go wrong so one should never connect and leave without checking periodically, in my case a couple of times a week.

I keep the battery constantly charged for the alarm and internal wifi camera set to motion detect just incase anybody takes a shine to our pride and joy and manages to remove the wheel lock,wheel clamp,hitch lock,caravan cover and thats after they have moved my car from over the drive.

I got the one I linked to in my opening post above and it came today.

It seems fine and the battery is now on charge. It shows 13. 7 v and still charging. How high will it go? this is the battery -

Also how often should I look to put the battery on charge? would after every trip I make over the spring/summer be okay so say every 2-4 weeks. This would also be after I have used the mover to get the caravan back up onto my very steep driveway.

With a decent true smart charger you ought to see 14. 4 odd volts before it backs off into maintaining mode, so could miss seeing it.

Our batteries last longer if they are always as charged up promptly as possible; time at levels less than fully charge contrive to degrade the battery's "life".

That said once charged there is not much to gain or lose by taking if off or leaving it on charge with a decent smart charger. Leaving a crude charger on will wreck a battery by gassing off the water.

I simply leave mine [several batteries really] connected year in year out when at home. That for me is convenient and one less thing to think about.

Edited by JTQ

I simply leave mine [several batteries really] connected year in year out when at home. That for me is convenient and one less thing to think about.

Cheers for the advice. It is showing 14. 2 now.

Do you take your battery from the caravan to charge it or just connect it to the charger whilst it is still in the caravan and then just leave it connected.

I have a 60 Ah portable "second" battery for the caravan's TV / satellite system and that I leave between trips on a CTEK charger.

I have another portable battery, this a 90 Ah for the caravan's mover, that lives all its life on another CTEK charger.

The van itself has a built in Schaudt charge/control unit that is a smart charger, that is plugged into an EHU whenever the van is at home year in year out.

[ps; I have a separate mover battery as 95% of the mover' use is at home getting the van in and out, so that mover battery can live in the garage being "charged" all other times. The van's battery is a very expensive GEL type, its technology does not take well to driving the mover over the climbs involved, hence I use a suitable battery for that role.]

If I was facing a more conventional situation I would leave a smart charger on the van's battery in situ, and simply not connect the van's system to an EHU.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a CTEK charger, and although not cheap, its been excellent. As my van is parked in front of my garage when its at home, Its a simple job to connect it to the charger every few days to keep the battery in tip top condition. I've had no issues in the couple of years I've had this charger.