Sign in to follow this  
Keefmac

Reversing A Caravan. .

A little off topic, but as new people come to the hobby and have to take a test and show they can reverse to pass, will motor movers die out?

I don't think so. I'm not bad at reversing but I do find the mover useful. Usual drill is to reverse the 'van onto the pitch with the car to the approximately right place ( sometimes smack on ) and then my wife likes to fine tune things using the mover including levelling side to side using bits of wood or wedges and chocks.

The mover is essential at home where the 'van is kept. Years ago, when 'vans were lighter and we were stronger, we pushed the 'van into it's resting place but now my wife ( keeper of the remote ) uses the mover to park the 'van at home which the neighbours find very impressive.

I imagine others find the mover useful in similar ways and for that reason I think that movers are here to stay.

John. :)

• Like 1

You can always get out of the car a couple of times as needed to have a look.

I might buy a little orange marker cone so I can aim for one corner of the van. .

• Like 1

I might buy a little orange marker cone so I can aim for one corner of the van. .

Actually, that's a good idea!

I've been in two sites this week where 'van has to be in middle of peg, considering you can't see it from the car it makes life very interesting. .

Yes, I've had to do that a few times.

I ask swmbo to stand 2m to the rhs of the peg so I have something to aim for - yes, I know, 1m to her left. Works well as the car is lhd!

An aquaroll makes a good bollard!

• Like 1

I only have three pieces of advice, the first is the same as Stevan hand on top of the steering wheel and while watching in the mirrors to go straight back when the caravan appears in the mirror move the steering wheel slightly the same way.

Second give yourself more space than you think - it takes more space than you think to initiate the turn. And

I have never seen this posted before so here goes when you are reversing onto a pitch for example don't stop in a straight line stop at an angle pointing into the space, this makes the turn so much easier to control as it has already been initiated.

Good luck

Over the years we have developed a signalling system, well my wife has which seems to be as follows.

Manic arm waving - too far to the left.

Manic arm waving - too far too the right.

Manic arm waving - too far back.

Stomping around in a circle with head shaking - why you not listen to me.

Hahahahaha I'm laughing so much I'm crying! . . Why?, because that's me and the OH!!! He won't get out and let me have a go we're both control freaks.

We compromised and BOUGHT A MOTORMOVER!!!!!!

Aquaroll sounds like a good marker idea!.

All good suggestions I'll have a good read through later and make a list.

Makes sense pulling up at an angle if possible as you say half the turn's already done then.

I'll just have to practice where to start the turn in relation to the 'vans back wheels!.

Watched a few 'vans coming in and out, looks a lot more manageable when you can see the full outfit, might invest in a drone!.

An aquaroll makes a good bollard!

. ...or a caravan step. :D

John.

Often thought if car parks and caravan sites etc were set out herringbone ie at 45 degrees it would make parking a lot easier.

• Like 1

Often thought if car parks and caravan sites etc were set out herringbone ie at 45 degrees it would make parking a lot easier.

That takes slightly more space because of all the difficult to use triangles.

It would!.

That takes slightly more space because of all the difficult to use triangles.

Surely some clever person with a computer could work it out with minimum loss. With it easier to reverse into maybe the roads would not need to be so wide.

Surely some clever person with a computer could work it out with minimum loss. With it easier to reverse into maybe the roads would not need to be so wide.

Even when arranged for minimum loss, herringbone still uses slightly more space, that's why it is seldom done. Also makes it more difficult if people come in the wrong way.

• Like 1

We can never account for the general public getting it right, someone would always go the wrong way. Haha.

• Like 1

Great idea . .....herringbone pitches. ...love it means when you look out of the side window you aren't looking into someone elses van.

No,in my experience reversing onto a pitch doesn't improve with time.

I went on a CC course and was OK on that,four years later and I still make a cobblers of it every single time,without fail.

I just cannot do it.

Have reverted to the motor mover in most cases now.

Ian

• Like 2

I've watched a few people arrive today and most take 2 or 3 goes at it to get it spot on.

Think expecting to do it cock on first time in one smooth movement is asking to much (for me anyway!).

As long as it ends up in the right spot in the end and I don't damage anything in the process it takes as long as it takes!.

• Like 3

Great idea . ... . .herringbone pitches. . . .love it means when you look out of the side window you aren't looking into someone elses van.

And you don't when parked in lines ?

Two simple tips:-

1. To reverse straight, look in your mirrors and move the top of the steering wheel towards whichever side of the caravan you can see most of.

2. Forget the car, reverse the caravan.

I would echo the second point. In fact I'd go further. Think about where you want the wheels of the caravan to end up.

Draw an imaginary line between where the wheels are initially and where you want them to end. Put markers down along the line if it helps just to one side of where the wheels will be.

Then reverse to the line.

The caravan will end up where its wheels are so focus on that.

• Like 1

Only one real way to get good at reversing a trailer and that's practice, practice and more practice.

My father would have us purposely reversing around the yard and farm buildings continuously when we were kids until we could eventually reverse a trailer almost as good as towing it forward. Great memories :) .

Supermarket / Retail Park car parks are a good place to practice at quiet or closed times.

Will have to go and scout out a few good sized carparks out!.

Main problem is when putting back into storage, quite tight between two other vans normally (ones a nearly new caravan and I would be gutted if we touched it with ours!).

I'm going to invest in a mover I think, can get practice in where possible but the van's just too heavy to move it manually if I cock it up. At least with the mover the pressures off if we get to an awkward site plus easier putting it into storage. .

You do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable mate. :)

No need to place unnecessary pressure on yourself to the point of spoiling the whole experience.

That's the thing, family are all well into caravanning now so don't need a grumpy Dad worrying about getting it parked on a packed site or back into the storage pitch.

Money well spent even if it doesn't get used. .

• Like 1

A motor mover is no replacement for being able to reverse properly. Dont get me wrong they are very useful tools for when on site or getting into storage but everyone towing on the road should know how to reverse to get them quickly and safely out of potential situations. IMO unhitching and using the mover on the road shouldn't be an option unless absolutely necessary.

well said.

macafee2

Sign in to follow this