Sign in to follow this  
Keefmac

Reversing A Caravan. .

Put one hand on the bottom of the steering wheel - then if you move your hand to the left the back of the caravan will go to the left (and vice versa).

No! Top of steering wheel towards full mirror.

Come on guys, don't fall out over this. You're both saying the same thing here. Either method will work so use whichever you find easiest ;)

Bottom of the steering wheel in the direction you want the caravan rear to move will straighten the caraven.

Top of the steering wheel towards the mirror that shows most caravan, will straighten the caravan.

• Like 3

Its what movers were invented for.

• Like 2

Come on guys, don't fall out over this. You're both saying the same thing here. Either method will work so use whichever you find easiest ;)

Bottom of the steering wheel in the direction you want the caravan rear to move will straighten the caraven.

Top of the steering wheel towards the mirror that shows most caravan, will straighten the caravan.

Very true but it is better to only think of one method when actually doing things otherwise it all gets mixed up in your brain.

• Like 2

So just got to agree on what the head shaking and manic arm waving movements all will mean then Keefmac. :rolleyes:

We have to reverse along a short, slightly awkward private lane to get the van onto our drive. We find it helps to have the wife on her mobile behind the van guiding me back whilst I am on 'hands free' . At least I can hear the squeals of anguish when she is about to be pinned against the wall!

When we had our van on order I had tried to book onto a manoeuvring course - but they were all booked up through the summer. So I consulted the oracle. ..You Tube. ...and found quite a few helpful videos which proved invaluable when we came to reversing and after a couple of years practice I'm reasonably confident. But I have never been too proud to draw up parallel to a pitch and use the mover.

Its what movers were invented for.

A motor mover is no replacement for being able to reverse properly. Dont get me wrong they are very useful tools for when on site or getting into storage but everyone towing on the road should know how to reverse to get them quickly and safely out of potential situations. IMO unhitching and using the mover on the road shouldn't be an option unless absolutely necessary.

Edited by tom_1989
  • Like 4

In addition to a towing course a mover is also often cheaper than a new clutch ;-). Being able to reverse is definitely a skill worth having in case you need it out on the road but for on-site pitching I wouldn't get too worried about it. I just do whatever is easier for me. .. sometimes that's reversing but quite often it's the mover. As I have an al-ko lock to align through the wheel I am going to end up engaging the mover anyway. ..

I agree with others about using the mirrors, that's exactly how I learn't. Turn the wheel towards the mirror where the van is appearing to keep it straight.

Mark.

• Like 2

Re item 2, do NOT forget the car. Unless you are alone in a big open field, your car can still collide with stuff.

. .....especially trees, water points, other cars, other caravans. .......!

If you are going to have a go at reversing, most important thing is to make sure OH knows what she (or he) has to do.

That is, make sure that you can see them and hear them at all times.

If you cant see or hear them, stop and don't move again until they move so that you can.

• Like 1

My hubby does the driving. We too have a motor mover, and only use this when on the campsite. When we get home, he backs the caravan onto the drive as we are at the end of the cul de sac, and its perfect area for reversing the 'van. We did go on one site in France that you could not use the mover, but had to use the car to reverse it because there was quite a steep bank onto your pitch. You would never be able to man-handle it on, and the mover wouldn't be able cope. Never seen anything like it. Somewhere around Troyes area.

If you want to watch, and have "been there, done that", then watch "Last of the Summer Wine", when Jack Harry Teesdale and his wife come back from their weekend away in the caravan. His wife loves going, but really hates coming back because she knows what's coming :D. If you've ever watched LOTSW, its the series with Seymour in it, not Foggy or Truly of the Yard. ;). Its so funny

Over the years we have developed a signalling system, well my wife has which seems to be as follows.

Manic arm waving - too far to the left.
Manic arm waving - too far too the right.
Manic arm waving - too far back.
Stomping around in a circle with head shaking - why you not listen to me.

• Like 5

I have the windows down and the wife in earshot and view at all times.

Quite lucky today as I could straighten up fully and reverse it back straight onto the pitch but other sites have required a 90 degree reverse onto the pitch (without hitting anything which is rather stressfull!).

I'm going to have doodle tonight and get my head round it.

So top of wheel towards full mirror to straighten up then?, makes sense as it will push the hitch.

First few times I must have got very lucky, reversed it perfectly onto the drive and into storage spot. Now I seem to be overthinking it and it all goes pear shaped then. .

Thanks for all the replies!.

Over the years we have developed a signalling system, well my wife has which seems to be as follows.

Manic arm waving - too far to the left.

Manic arm waving - too far too the right.

Manic arm waving - too far back.

Stomping around in a circle with head shaking - why you no listen to me.

a few years ago I was walking around the site and came across a woman doing just that and more, she was ranting and raving and her hubby had the window up, couldn't hear a thing. I laughed 'til I cried, even thinking of it now sets me off.

So advice, Keefmac. Sort it out between you what the signals will be and put your car window down for when she has to scream, "stop" before you hit something :D

Very true but it is better to only think of one method when actually doing things otherwise it all gets mixed up in your brain.

That is why I said, "Either method will work so use whichever you find easiest" :D

My hubby does the driving.

My wife was just as good at reversing the caravan as anyone so whichever of us was towing the caravan, the other one knew exactly where to stand to be seen by the driver, and provide an additional set of eyes for reversing onto a pitch. I would say she's a better driver than me having driven for the local council for many years transporting children round in various buses. It is such a shame that she's had to surrender her licence because of ill health so it's now down to me to park the outfit.

Gordon

• Like 1

The tip that has been most useful to me and I still use.

Put one hand on the bottom of the steering wheel - then if you move your hand to the left the back of the caravan will go to the left (and vice versa).

+1

Another thing I picked up when I did my HGV1 eons ago was small inputs from the steering and if it all goes pear shaped pull right forward straighten up the rig and have another go. Dont just pull forward a foot or two.

• Like 4

It can be quite difficult to reverse and line up the caravan with the coloured peg at a CMC site.

Best solution, just use the motor mover. Second best, reverse, ignore the other half's frantic and random waving and then just realign the peg with the van!!!

Edited by PandR
  • Like 5

A little off topic, but as new people come to the hobby and have to take a test and show they can reverse to pass, will motor movers die out?

A little off topic, but as new people come to the hobby and have to take a test and show they can reverse to pass, will motor movers die out?

I doubt it given that there is a need for some park their caravans at home where a car could not push them and also it is nice to be able to pitch a caravan 'nose in' sometimes on site to get the best view from the front.

I believe however that everyone who tows should be fully competent to control their outfit at all times on the road, whether travelling forward or in reverse.

Gordon.

• Like 2

I'm ok at reversing but wouldn't be without my mover :)

No because a well trained monkey could do the reversing part of the B+E test. ...actually doesnt have to be that well trained come to think about it.

Edited by tom_1989

I don't reverse the caravan ever!

Broke a flywheel because of this, so now even on the easiest pitch motor mover every time.

One reversing tip I have picked up over the years to save burning out the clutch is

Buy an automatic.

• Like 2

It can be quite difficult to reverse and line up the caravan with the coloured peg at a CMC site.

Best solution, just use the motor mover. Second best, reverse, ignore the other half's frantic and random waving and then just realign the peg with the van!!!

Nope the best solution is not to go to any site that is so regimented you have to precisely line up with a peg.

Normally don't have any issues reversing even on small sites except as some one else when some one is watching you or even worse decides to assist, prefer it when OH just keeps an eye out and tells me when to stop. Oh and I have an automatic no clutch to worry about :D

Edited by Mogwyth

I've been in two sites this week where 'van has to be in middle of peg, considering you can't see it from the car it makes life very interesting. .

I don't know if its still the same, I was at CC Dunnet Bay a few years ago and they had a large drawing in reception "How to pitch your caravan", the centre of the rear of the caravan had to be in line with the peg and the hitch had to be over a white disc.

A mover was very usefull that day.

A motor caravan parked in the next pitch to me and he shuffled about a bit to get level, the warden came over and gave off about him not parked square, he was about 18 inches off. He told the warden he would move it in the morning, I asked him later how long he was staying, he said "One night".

I've been in two sites this week where 'van has to be in middle of peg, considering you can't see it from the car it makes life very interesting. .

You can always get out of the car a couple of times as needed to have a look.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this