Electric Pump On Bradcot Air - Question For Electrician

Yorkshireman

Here is a question for an electrician.

Just purchased a bradcot air awning. Came with electric pump. Pump has short electrical lead with two crocodile clips for attaching to a battery. My van has battery on opposite side to awning so won't reach. Not practice to park car close to where awning is inflated. My solution is to extend the flex by 5mand use some quick connectors that are waterproof and can be seperated if need be. For power connection I have 3 thoughts and need a caravan/auto electrician to advise. I want connection to the pump when on site to be really easy. Do I :-

1) Connect to 12v lighter in car. Is feed sufficient

2) run feed direct from car battery to a connector conveniently located behind a grill.

3) can the hitch electrics be used in some way to rig a feed

4) do I connect to 12v in van. Is feed sufficient

5) do I run a dedicated feed from van battery to locker on awning side with quick connector or similar on end.

Ok that's 5 options. Or a combination of a few to give options. Any thoughts welcome.

In the interim I will use a spare leisure battery but rather not lug 25kg about just to inflate the awning.

Thanks

David

Edited by Yorkshireman

My suggestion would be no 5. Run a dedicated feed, via a fuse, direct from the van battery to a polarised non-reversable socket on the awning side of the van. Use at least 2. 5mm cable for the wiring.

I don't like cigar. cigarette lighter connectiors. IMO they aren't robust enough for high current usage, although the pump shouldn't be running for long enough to cause a problem - use good quality as cheapies can overheat.

The fact that the pump has alligator clips suggests it draws quite some current. Have a look on the pump label which should tell you how much current it draws. If not look at the manufacturers web site.

Anything above 10A will probably need a direct battery connection - which can be extended with suitably thick cable.

5A or less you can definitely draw from the 12V socket inside the caravan - most such sockets are fused 5A.

Have a look at the fuses - if the socket is fused 10A then you can draw 10A.

You will not be able to extract power from the hitch connector as it has relay switching. Your car may be able to supply it from the socket but you will likely need to have the engine running.

You could of course make up a longer lead with croc clips and use the car battery from a distance?

There are several 12v boost starter packs available which contain a battery much lighter than a full leisure battery. Many also contain a tyre pump, lamp and an inverter, very useful pieces of kit. Lots at around £50, but you could pay more and have a really light one with a Lithium battery.

I wired a 12v Hella waterproof socket (fused) to the underside of my caravan.

Mine was mainly for the air compressor tyre pump. much better quality than

most of the other cigarette lighter plugs and sockets on the market.

http://www. hella. com/MicroSite/soe/sites/default/files/downloads/J00271_Elekt_Steckverbindungen_EN_HKG. pdf

Edited by gumdrop

My Vango pump is 13. 5 amps with a 15 amp fuse in its cigarette lighter plug which is at the end of a 5 metre extension cable.

Too much for the cigarette lighter socket in the van, rated at 6 amps. Shame because the socket is in a convenient location inside the front nearside of the van.

I thought about using the permanent live in the tow hitch socket which should be good for 20 amps and the wiring was factory fitted, but I didn't want to risk running the car battery down because Discoverys are sensitive about low batteries. I regularly use this socket to charge the car so know it goes direct to the battery.

I checked the rating of the auxillary cigarette socket in the rear of the car and it's 20 amps, but the engine needs to be left running otherwise the socket goes to sleep after a couple of minutes. In the end this is what I used as it was a windy day so less chance of getting gassed by the exhaust fumes.

My alternative is to fit an auxillary cigarette lighter socket in the front nearside wet locker, as per above advice from Matelodave in post #2.

I've found a suitable socket http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/12V-24V-20A-Cigar-Lighter-Accessory-Power-Supply-Socket-Durite-0-601-01/221214835614?_trksid=p2047675. c100005. m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC. MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3D16174833c07f4bb7989608573058b668%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D271180792605

My next challenge is to connect this socket to the battery, but I believe that means drilling yet another hole in the battery box, although I suppose I could piggy back off the motor mover control box terminals (would need to have the isolation switch turned on).

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

The fact that the pump has alligator clips suggests it draws quite some current. Have a look on the pump label which should tell you how much current it draws. If not look at the manufacturers web site.

Anything above 10A will probably need a direct battery connection - which can be extended with suitably thick cable.

5A or less you can definitely draw from the 12V socket inside the caravan - most such sockets are fused 5A.

Have a look at the fuses - if the socket is fused 10A then you can draw 10A.

You will not be able to extract power from the hitch connector as it has relay switching. Your car may be able to supply it from the socket but you will likely need to have the engine running.

You could of course make up a longer lead with croc clips and use the car battery from a distance?

No label on pump showing draw and can't find manufacturers info. Having looked in my van perhaps I could connect a main. Artery feed inside to the terminals rear of mover control as shown in picture. Before switch.

post-60576-0-80305400-1491669174_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yorkshireman

The Hella kit can handle higher amperage than

some of the dubious cigarette lighter plugs that

are around

My Vango pump is 13. 5 amps with a 15 amp fuse in its cigarette lighter plug which is at the end of a 5 metre extension cable.

Too much for the cigarette lighter socket in the van, rated at 6 amps. Shame because the socket is in a convenient location inside the front nearside of the van.

I thought about using the permanent live in the tow hitch socket which should be good for 20 amps and the wiring was factory fitted, but I didn't want to risk running the car battery down because Discoverys are sensitive about low batteries. I regularly use this socket to charge the car so know it goes direct to the battery.

I checked the rating of the auxillary cigarette socket in the rear of the car and it's 20 amps, but the engine needs to be left running otherwise the socket goes to sleep after a couple of minutes. In the end this is what I used as it was a windy day so less chance of getting gassed by the exhaust fumes.

My alternative is to fit an auxillary cigarette lighter socket in the front nearside wet locker, as per above advice from Matelodave in post #2.

I've found a suitable socket http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/12V-24V-20A-Cigar-Lighter-Accessory-Power-Supply-Socket-Durite-0-601-01/221214835614?_trksid=p2047675. c100005. m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC. MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3D16174833c07f4bb7989608573058b668%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D271180792605

My next challenge is to connect this socket to the battery, but I believe that means drilling yet another hole in the battery box, although I suppose I could piggy back off the motor mover control box terminals (would need to have the isolation switch turned on).

Looks like a decent socket, just make sure you get a decent plug as well. I quite like te Hella Din plugs & socket as they have a retainer in the postive centre pin which holds the plug in.

The cigar plug/sockets don't and can overheat on the centre pin. I've had several that have melted the plug on my coolbox which only draws 5 amps. I've not found a decent one yet

Edited by matelodave

Looks like a decent socket, just make sure you get a decent plug as well. I quite like te Hella Din plugs & socket as they have a retainer in the postive centre pin which holds the plug in.

The cigar plug/sockets don't and can overheat on the centre pin. I've had several that have melted the plug on my coolbox which only draws 5 amps. I've not found a decent one yet

The pump comes with its own ciggy plug with built in fuse and I've used it plugged into the car with no problems, so fairly relaxed about that bit.

Just need to find a suitable hole saw for the wet locker, but I think my son has something I can borrow.

We use one of these fits in the bag with the pump, very easy to use

Interesting, how many inflates do you get between charges?

Interesting, how many inflates do you get between charges?

I think you would easily get 5 or 6 inflations as the pump isn't on for very long. We also carry a little 1. 5amp battery charger so that if needs be we could charge it up.

I fitted a 12v power outlet on the awning side of my van but I'm not a real electrician :unsure:

Awning Heater Outlet

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I fitted a 12v power outlet on the awning side of my van but I'm not a real electrician :unsure:

Looks good, I think best route is direct feed of15 to 20 amp cable fixed with 'o' ring terminals to terminals under front seat that feed mover taking cable around to front locker (cables can run inside front cabinets so won't be seen) with

An inline fuse on live. Then have a quick connector on the end and 5m of cable that can the drop out of frond locker and connect to pump. All I need now is a local auto electrician to wire it for me. Anybody a CT member and a caravanner/electrician in Rotherham that would like to help out at a reasonable price?

Edited by Paul_B
To remove from quote box

My solar controller is rated at 20a. I ran a socket initially for the TV switched with a relay from the van circuit. It connects to the accessory outlet of the controller.

I can run my Sevylor pump off this no problems.

Good point Jiffy, my solar panals controller is on the correct side and feeds to battery. I wonder if the feed from controller to battery can be tapped into rather than a separate feed from battery. Van I'm talking about is 2016 schooner if anybody is knowledgable about the layouts.

Edited by Yorkshireman

We use one of these fits in the bag with the pump, very easy to use

So do I but it was a lot cheaper than that on the bay.

Used to have a 13 pin plug so could plug into car but could not always get the car close enough.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.