Used A Cover For The First Time-so What Did We Do Wrong?

Rikster

So if you understand it that well why did you suggest a dehumidifier, perhaps you can explain how a dehumidifier will help air circulation?

I think the post you quoted explains that.

You added a bit - where did I say it would help with circulation please?

I think the post you quoted explains that.

You added a bit - where did I say it would help with circulation please?

If it is a lack of air circulation that is causing the problem and increasing the air circulation is the solution please explain how suggesting a dehumidifier will help!

If it is a lack of air circulation that is causing the problem and increasing the air circulation is the solution please explain how suggesting a dehumidifier will help!

Increasing the air circulation is one solution definitely yes, but a dehumidifier won't do that (nor did I ever claim it would) A dehumidifier would however remove the residual moisture in the air (and resulting mould) which is a consequence of the poor ventilation as it can be in a house.

The point of our disagreement seems to stem from whether we agree or not as to whether the conditions in the 'van with a cover on replicate a closed room in a house or not (where you agree a dehumidifier would work).

I am saying possibly yes those conditions could be the same you seem to be saying no they are not.

PS I should have added I agree with the earlier suggested need for a damp check too BTW.

Edited by Tin_Snail

Gentlemen, please accept you have differing opinions.

The best way to prevent condensation and mould it to ensure the caravan has a clear air flow to all surfaces, cupboards and lockers.

That is my understanding too

So despite your best intentions, your suggestion is based on a lack of understanding

Without wishing to put down Tin_Snail I believe you have summed up the situation.

Tin_Snail,
I know you are trying to help the OP and you probably have the best of intentions. In this instance I really do believe that the problem is not so much too much moisture in the air but rather a lack of air circulation. Despite the claims from the cover manufacturers that the material they use is breathable so allows air to pass while keeping water out, they will all reduce the general air flow to a level below what an uncovered caravan would experience, while at the same time making a dehumidifier ineffective because of the fixed ventilation low down.
I am not an advocate of directly covering a caravan and the only kind of cover I would accept for my caravan is something like a car port.
Rallier.

I have never successfully used a cover for a caravan and decided years ago that the best protection for our pride and joy was polish. It therefore is washed regularly and polished every couple of months or so. Over the years the polish built up and and it can now be cleaned with little more effort than running a hose over it and leathering it off.

If a van is being kept at home would a small mains powered de humidifier help?

That's what we use.

Comes on 3 times a week for 8 hours.

The covers are very onerous to fit. We are thinking next year of one which just covers the roof. Plus no grit issues with the majority of the windows

That's what we use.

Comes on 3 times a week for 8 hours.

The covers are very onerous to fit. We are thinking next year of one which just covers the roof. Plus no grit issues with the majority of the windows

:)

So if you understand it that well why did you suggest a dehumidifier, perhaps you can explain how a dehumidifier will help air circulation?

Our de-humidifier is dessicant based meaning it works in cold environments. It creates very nice air flow which is slightly warm.

Caravans are designed and built to live outdoors, I don't see a need for a cover at all, ^^^ this further proves my point that cover cause more harm than do any good ^^^. Nobody covers a static caravan in winter do they.

Tend to agree. ... Never had a damp issue with my Ace. Never covered it in the seven years of ownership since new. I think another positive point was I was south facing in the storage and had no shade of any type giving me maximum sunshine all year round.

Only time I had the green fairy dust was in a particular cold winter but also winter toured so was injecting heat into the van all year round.

I use a Maypole cover and I have no problem with damp. I don't open any windows I just open all locker doors and under bed access and I can honestly say I have never had any problems. I check it on a regular basis as it is stored at home. One big plus for me is that the van is always clean and the roof is not covered with pine needles and leaves. I never use a dehumidifier or use the heating as I consider it a waste of time in such a draughty unit as a caravan.

Tin-Snail, I can but agree with you re the effective use of various de-humidifier solutions (my own favourite being salt trays with a twist of newspaper in them to collect the water, proven to work over many years experience). You are wasting your time trying to convince the 'none-believers' as they know (or at least think they do) better. I have to wonder if they've ever actually tried anything, or is it just down to uninformed opinion? After all, if they don't like it, or can't be bothered, then they don't have to use it. The rest of us can carry on reaping the benefits of continuing use. . It's a personal choice after all,, not a legal requirement.

It is a fallacy that an empty, stationary, caravan experiences a large natural air flow through its vents, this can only be driven by a temperature difference or external, localised, air pressure. Apart from hot (if only LOL) early morning sunshine &/or windy conditions there is virtually no natural flow. There is simply nothing to drive it. If there was then the ground air would just as likely be damper than that inside, so where’s the advantage in that? Having a cover on merely restricts what little ventilation there is still further, Not that this is a bad thing as a fan-driven de-humidifier would be even more effective.

In older 'vans (with gas lights!) which had large wall vents there was much more flow, perhaps these are the ones being referred to, where it definitely doesn’t work?

It costs very little to try it, but it dose incur some effort, perhaps that is the real problem.

You believe what you want, and I'll do the same, but if I agreed with you we'd both be wrong ;)

You are wasting your time trying to convince the 'none-believers' as they know (or at least think they do) better. I have to wonder if they've ever actually tried anything, or is it just down to uninformed opinion?

With respect,

I have spent most of my working life in building services, so I do speak from a position of knowledge when it comes to the workings of humidifiers, dehumidifiers, heating systems, air conditioners et cetera. Trust me when I say you're wasting your time dehumidifying just the inside of a caravan, because any moisture removed can immediately be replaced by moisture from outside air entering. The best way to dehumidify is to immerse the caravan in dry air - in other words open all of the windows and the door on a dry sunny day and give it time.

It is a fallacy that an empty, stationary, caravan experiences a large natural air flow through its vents,

External air movement will cause sufficient air movement within a caravan, even if half of the vents are obstructed, to compensate for any air that had been dried inside the caravan.

All I can do is give my opinion and leave each member to do whatever they think best for their situation.

Rallier

Care to explain/elaborate exactly why please?

Floor vents allowing air in from outside.

If a 'van has a cover on it surely the issue is that it's not fully 'open to atmosphere' - so why exactly would a small electric dehumidifier not work?

Already covered, cheers.

Sorry I tried to tidy up your post so I quote you correctly but it's too much of a faff on an iPad.

Edited by Tin_Snail

With just my 'breathable' cover on for 4 months and as much ventilation as I could throw at it, I poked around with my damp meter during the period (not calibrated) and did not find any real increase in previous damp readings from my meter.

Think the cover almost acted as an air pump as it moved around in the zephyrs. ...not even a smidgen of mould. .....;)

Serviced one week after cover off and a sparkling damp report.

Deleriously happy here. :)

Edit: Fat fingered typo.

Edited by Griff

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Wow, that caused an interesting debate!

In answer to one of the posts, I think we may have a bit of damp at the back where we have a leaking seal at a locker-would'nt have thought it would have caused this much mould throughout the van though.

If we persevere with the cover next year, we will ensure the windows are cracked open-and I will will check it regularly, instead of just leaving it for 4 months untouched!

With respect,

I have spent most of my working life in building services, so I do speak from a position of knowledge when it comes to the workings of humidifiers, dehumidifiers, heating systems, air conditioners et cetera. Trust me when I say you're wasting your time dehumidifying just the inside of a caravan, because any moisture removed can immediately be replaced by moisture from outside air entering. The best way to dehumidify is to immerse the caravan in dry air - in other words open all of the windows and the door on a dry sunny day and give it time.

External air movement will cause sufficient air movement within a caravan, even if half of the vents are obstructed, to compensate for any air that had been dried inside the caravan.

All I can do is give my opinion and leave each member to do whatever they think best for their situation.

Rallier

You are wasting your time trying to convince the 'believers' as they know (or at least think they do) better. I have to wonder if they've ever actually tried anything else, or is it just down to uninformed opinion?

You are wasting your time trying to convince the 'believers' as they know (or at least think they do) better. I have to wonder if they've ever actually tried anything else, or is it just down to uninformed opinion?

I thought it was a simple case of an alternative opinion being offered.

Not everything might be as black and white on the subject, there may actually be room for a difference of opinion here?

Leave it there shall we ladies? ;)

Would be nice then to ask these designers why do so many leak like sieves?

The big difference between statics and tourers is that statics do not undergo the continual twisting and flexing that our tourers do which can open up small cracks in the sealants.

In the winter water lying in these small cracks freezes, expands and gradually forces the joint further apart and sealants can become breached, this was my reason for choosing to fit a cover and keep freezing water out of any, well that's my theory anyhow. :unsure:

I use used a Protek cover for the first time from last November until the end of March.

The caravan was polished all over to a pristine finish before it went on.

The roof lights and windows at each end we're left ajar by about 10mm to ensure good air movement and all floor vents were left clear of obstacles.

I placed mouse traps by each open window just in case.

I did not use any of the salt bowls.

Cover off end of March and still pristine with no mould at all, I had been checking for that weekly though.

Parked mine up end of November left it till yesterday hand brake on no cover, all working fine no mouldy bits, quick wash with lidl diamond shine looks brand new.

Any drops of moisture will freeze, we don't have winters we have temperature changes that cause condensation that could become trapped under a cover no matter how breathable, fresh air circulation helps prevent mouldy atmospheres, yes water freezing splits joints I don't believe a breathable cover would prevent this.

Been using a breathable cover for the last few years, open the roof vents slightly, open all cupboards & stand cushions in the isle. Never had an issue with mould or excessive moisture, van nice and clean when uncovered. Never used salts or humidifier, I have no experience or qualifications in the subject so opinion purely from real life experience. :)

Used maypole covers on my last 3 vans internal locker doors left open windows and roof lights shut tight never had any mould.

Van is as clean as when it was wrapped up, one thing for sure never leave the heating running with a cover on that's a sure way of growing some mould

I collected my van fro winter storage yesterday. Van sits inside a shed although it is open to the air and van has a Protec cover on it to keep the dust and birds off it.

I could practically drive straight to a site as I always give it a final polish before the cover goes on.

As for mould I make sure all surfaces are cleaned down with a good household kitchen cleaner and I put the windows on vent.

Just to keep the missus happy I place one of those moisture thing'ys in the toilet. I also remove the toilet pump and dry out the flush reservoir.

Never had any signs of mould when collecting the van.