Sign in to follow this  
Durbanite

Buccanner Caravan Nose Weight - Important Information

Not sure that people can say stability is better when higher. lots of other factors come into the equation. ive seen some place this right at the back to get nose weight up a bit. it would be better if a newbie was told the whole story behind a correct nose weight.

I refer to my van having tested other noseweights. My outfit runs most stable at about 135 to 140kg. Other setups will differ. My van is loaded as well as I see fit having 27 years experience, keeping heavier stuff down low near the axles where possible. I'm a newbie in comparison to alot here I would add. I made no attempt to advise others, it's just what I have experienced myself. I would advise (if asked) testing your setup carefully until you find what works best for you.

The 140kg nose weight is not an issue if the towing vehicles nose weight is greater than the nose weight of the caravan. If the nose weight of the caravan is higher than the nose weight of the car, then the front of the car will be lifted giving less traction on the road. If it is too light then it may lift the rear of the vehicle with less traction on the rear wheels. I may be wrong but that is the way I look at it.

With the e/p system the total weight is always on the steadies, the A frame is not supported as we are not advised to use the jockey wheel as a support after levelling.

I always wind the jockey wheel down after levelling so it just takes some weight, I find the van comes down with quite a thud otherwise, if the jockey is touching the floor is seems a lot smoother, maybe yours doesn't do that

It does to a certain degree, but the thud comes more from the side ram retracting and the wheels talking the weight.

• Like 1

Having just bought a Buccaneer I am too a little confused as to what thet nose weight when towing SHOULD be??? The van has a MTPLM of 2000kgs, but does not say what the towing nose weight should be?

Having just bought a Buccaneer I am too a little confused as to what thet nose weight when towing SHOULD be??? The van has a MTPLM of 2000kgs, but does not say what the towing nose weight should be?

On the manufacturer's plate, usually at the bottom of the door, it gives the weights as; "0 150". "1 1000". "2 1000". This means "Nose weight 150" "1st axle 1000" 2nd axle 1000 all kg's.

As stated before the 150 kg nose weight would only apply if your towing vehicle is capable of this nose weight.

In April 2017 I notified Elddis of the mistake regarding the nose weight on the Buccaneer and in the Help and Support section of the website under "towing" it states the following;

Q: What is nose weight, why does it matter and how can I check it?

A: Nose weight is the download on a tow bar caused by the weight of your caravan when hitched.
Remember, this is not the maximum weight of your caravan, as the weight is distributed between the axle wheels (2 or 4) and the jockey wheel. For all Elddis, Compass, Xplore and Buccaneer caravans built since year 2000, our maximum nose weights are 100kgs. Check yours by supporting the coupling head on your bathroom scales, ensuring that your caravan is level at all times.

• Like 1

In April 2017 I notified Elddis of the mistake regarding the nose weight on the Buccaneer and in the Help and Support section of the website under "towing" it states the following;

Q: What is nose weight, why does it matter and how can I check it?

A: Nose weight is the download on a tow bar caused by the weight of your caravan when hitched.

Remember, this is not the maximum weight of your caravan, as the weight is distributed between the axle wheels (2 or 4) and the jockey wheel. For all Elddis, Compass, Xplore and Buccaneer caravans built since year 2000, our maximum nose weights are 100kgs. Check yours by supporting the coupling head on your bathroom scales, ensuring that your caravan is level at all times.

And the same duff data is still there.

And the same duff data is still there.

Yep despite me updating them as I think it would be very difficult to get the nose weight of the Buccaneer down to 100kg without comprising safety.

• Like 1

Why do E&P not recommend the jockey wheel is lowered to the ground after levelling?

Why do E&P not recommend the jockey wheel is lowered to the ground after levelling?

I have never seen that recommendation? Once levelled, we never bothered with the jockey wheel. The only thing I can think of is if the jockey wheel is lowered and you forget to raise it up when lifting the steadies, it may cause some issues?

I don't know but I always lower it because if you don't when you raise the legs you suddenly realise the nose is low and you are going to have to wind it back up to hitch up.

Ian

• Like 1

I don't know but I always lower it because if you don't when you raise the legs you suddenly realise the nose is low and you are going to have to wind it back up to hitch up.

Ian

Another reason we do not bother with it is that after awhile the steadies may sink into the ground and you then have to manually adjust the levelling. Could be awkward if you forget the jockey wheel is lowered.

yes with a awning attached on uneven ground means raising the legs and then re leveling . which could be rather a mess is you have to re adjust your awning too.

yes with a awning attached on uneven ground means raising the legs and then re leveling . which could be rather a mess is you have to re adjust your awning too.

Why raise the legs? In the past I found it easier to get out the leveller, switch levelling to manual and adjust. You do not have to raise the legs and then put them down again. Easier than using the auto function. :D

just wish you could raise the legs manually too

just wish you could raise the legs manually too

It would be handy at times when you have to set up the caravan manually levelling it on a sloping pitch and you over extend the legs. No need if the caravan has already been levelled and you just need to "top" it up again to level a few days later.

Posted (edited)

Can anyone recommend a good nose weight gauge. I have a milenco but the max load is 130kg. Just tried my Cruiser and it passed  130kg. I moved things around a bit and it is probably just over 130. But I'd like to know exactly so I know where I am when towing. I'm towing with a Defender and a max nose weight of 150kg.

The NCC paperwork I have with the van suggests and ideal nose weight of 134.5 (7%) of MTPLM for stable towing.

Apreciate any views including any from Buccaneer twin axle owners. I posted earlier this week my experience of my jockey wheel coming up though the van A FRame when I was moving it prior to a trip. Hence my interest and checking.

Edited by Gedgemeister

On 06/04/2017 at 08:48, Durbanite said:

The maximum load on the ALKO hitch is 100kg so at 150kg, it will be well over the maximum and may pose a safety issue.

Alko may well offer various ratings for the A-frame and hitch - the fact that most caravans use 100 kg doesn't mean that all alko chassis'd caravans are.

17 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

Alko may well offer various ratings for the A-frame and hitch - the fact that most caravans use 100 kg doesn't mean that all alko chassis'd caravans are.

Current Buccaneer nose weight is 150kg max and it is on an ALKO chassis.  The good news is that Milenco does have a calibrated gauge that can measure a nose weight up to 400kg.