Sign in to follow this  
Durbanite

Buccanner Caravan Nose Weight - Important Information

Recently I wrote to the Explorer group asking them to confirm the nose weight on the Buccaneer caravans as there appeared to be conflicting information. The website stated that the maximum nose weight for the Buccaneer caravans built since 2000 was 100kg which is incorrect.

As per the reply below from the Explorer group;

Further to your email of recent date.

Firstly, could we kindly ask you to provide ourselves with details of where you have obtained the information from on our website, that states the maximum nose weight of Buccaneer Caravans to be 100Kg, as this is incorrect. We will certainly amend our website as soon as possible to avoid any further confusion.

We can confirm the Max nose weight on the Buccaneer model is 150Kg and it has been 150Kg for the last few years.

We hope this clarifies the information in which you require.

• Like 5

Elddis are asking you to provide where on their website the 100kg is staded, can't they read or are they doubting you !!

There is still another can of worms with the E&P being safely operated to lift the nose with that nose weight, does need clarifying too.

• Like 2

Unbelievable.

After Friday at the weighbridge I hope to bring some technical data to this debate.

• Like 1

Unbelievable.

After Friday at the weighbridge I hope to bring some technical data to this debate.

Only two more sleeps :lol:

• Like 1

Yep, bored so I just checked every model of tech spec on their website. ..non have a nose weight, which is a bit odd in itself. ...?

post-63409-0-39534100-1491405161_thumb.png

Odd as I'm sure I read somewhere before that the nose weight was 150kg which is pretty standard across the big twin axles our current sterling certainly is

Odd as I'm sure I read somewhere before that the nose weight was 150kg which is pretty standard across the big twin axles our current sterling certainly is

i'm surprised the sterling is 150, I thought all Alko chassis where 100.

You live and learn. ....

• Like 1

The maximum load on the ALKO hitch is 100kg so at 150kg, it will be well over the maximum and may pose a safety issue.

no im mistaken it is only 100kg for sterling not sure where i thought it was 150

Elddis are asking you to provide where on their website the 100kg is staded, can't they read or are they doubting you !!

There is still another can of worms with the E&P being safely operated to lift the nose with that nose weight, does need clarifying too.

As per E&P and my underlining;

It is safe to go off what the Elddis handbook says as they have built and tested the system especially for that particular van.

Our user manual states the maximum is 100kg, however this is a generic rule of thumb which includes systems retro fitted to other makes and models which do not have additional support in the floor.

As per the user manual, when operating the system in manual override, you should always have the axle jacks down first before attempting to lift the front or the back of the van as they are what carry the main weight.

I hope this helps. Please do not hesitate to get back in touch should you require any further assistance.

• Like 3

well i would beg the differ. if you look under the van you will find the 2 jacks are positioned forward of the rear axle. therefore when you lift the weight of the rear axle it would imply more forward weight, as the 2 front wheel will be hanging. therefore giving a heavier nose weight than when all 4 wheels are on the floor.

If you have a nose weight gauge you will find that placing it under and get a reading. then lower the jacks and take off any amount of weight you will see the nose gauge become heavier. which is what i provided to them when looking into buy ing ours. yet if the jack where on the front axles it will lower the nose weight,but this cannot be done as it makes the van rear heavy and making it like a see-saw.

well i would beg the differ. if you look under the van you will find the 2 jacks are positioned forward of the rear axle. therefore when you lift the weight of the rear axle it would imply more forward weight, as the 2 front wheel will be hanging. therefore giving a heavier nose weight than when all 4 wheels are on the floor.

If you have a nose weight gauge you will find that placing it under and get a reading. then lower the jacks and take off any amount of weight you will see the nose gauge become heavier. which is what i provided to them when looking into buy ing ours. yet if the jack where on the front axles it will lower the nose weight,but this cannot be done as it makes the van rear heavy and making it like a see-saw.

Why don't you phone E&P and discuss your observations with one of their technical staff and then come back on here with any updates?

i have only spoke to explorer group on this. dont know who i spoke to but it was from there tech dept. i explained this in detail and they where in agreement but they said it wasnt up to them as they only install the e and p. its for me to speak to them. thats about as far as i got, as i rang up installers and they sid they only fit them. haaha. but dont you think im correct in what i am saying?

basically lifting the rear wheels will make the front end heavier. ?

also if you take a look at motorhomes you will find they are bolted to the chassis. so maybe they dont care if it pushes the floor thru the roof on a acaravan?

Edited by smino0_1

i have only spoke to explorer group on this. dont know who i spoke to but it was from there tech dept. i explained this in detail and they where in agreement but they said it wasnt up to them as they only install the e and p. its for me to speak to them. thats about as far as i got, as i rang up installers and they sid they only fit them. haaha. but dont you think im correct in what i am saying?

basically lifting the rear wheels will make the front end heavier. ?

also if you take a look at motorhomes you will find they are bolted to the chassis. so maybe they dont care if it pushes the floor thru the roof on a acaravan?

I am not technical so have no idea what you are saying. I was hoping that you could do all the technical jargon with whoever and give it to us in plain English.

Does anyone have any evidence that the leveling system has caused any damage to a caravan?

I believe the system has been fitted to Buccaneers since 2015 and I have never heard of an issue.

• Like 1

prob not a issue they are going to broadcast. but i will bring it back up with them. as said i dont feel lifting 150kg is doing the floor much good. if not how long will it take for the floor to flex too much and break?hopefully long after ive done with it. .going onto another problem with the floor i am going to start another thread about the sealing of the floor.

E&P had a stand at last year's National and I had a long chat with them, assuming they have one this year I will have a chat with them again about the weight differences.

Ian

prob not a issue they are going to broadcast. but i will bring it back up with them. as said i dont feel lifting 150kg is doing the floor much good. if not how long will it take for the floor to flex too much and break?hopefully long after ive done with it. .going onto another problem with the floor i am going to start another thread about the sealing of the floor.

as I have posted before why is lifting 150kg any different from supporting much more when say 4 people are sat in the front. All the weight on the corners jockey wheel swinging in the breeze.

yes this is true, but your not lifting 150kg. your only steadying the weight. as with non e&p you would not jack up the side or front with corner steadies would you?this why they reduced the lifting to 100kg for the pressure of the hydrolics and not the floor.

taken from the last time i had a conversation with explorer.

That's my point. With a conventional caravan the weight is taken on the jockey wheel/A frame and then supported or steadied using the legs. With the e/p system the total weight is always on the steadies, the A frame is not supported as we are not advised to use the jockey wheel as a support after levelling. The corner steadies and the chassis see the same weight whether lifting or in its final position. The weight restriction is more to do with hydraulic capability to lift. Once locked off the hydraulic legs are able to manage more load. So by the same token the chassis will see a great increase with 4 person sat down in the front with no support from the jockey wheel/A frame.

Reply from E&P, actually they replied the same day I emailed them but it went into my spam folder.

Ian

'Hello Mr Bennett,

It is safe to go off what the Elddis handbook says as they have built and tested the system especially for that particular van.

Our handbook guide is a generic rule of thumb which includes systems which have been retro fit to other makes and models which do not have additional support in the floor.

I hope this helps. Please do not hesitate to get back in touch should you require any further assistance.

Kind regards,

Matthew

Internal Sales Administrator'

• Like 1

On the subject of nose weight I've just seen a van with German plates on it and the jockey wheel has a weight measurement device on it as part of jockey wheel similar set up to some torque wrenches. Not seen this before.

On the subject of nose weight I've just seen a van with German plates on it and the jockey wheel has a weight measurement device on it as part of jockey wheel similar set up to some torque wrenches. Not seen this before.

They've been around for quite a while ;)

When we got the Cruiser last year I said to the dealer I wanted one he talked me out if it, not very often a dealer does not want to sell you something! So when I found one I went for the heavyweight Milenco upto 400KG nose weight gauge.

Steve

Edited by Stillroaming

The jockey wheel is an AlKo premium with built in noseweight gauge. They're rubbish tbh. Mine greatly overestimates noseweight by about 30kg. The E&P system is fine for vans with more than the 100kg stated in their manual so long as the floor has been strengthened to suit. My Van has a 150kg noseweight limit on an AlKo chassis (2500kg chassis) which I run at about 135kg to 140kg for best stability.