Sign in to follow this  
RYCKO

Weights With A Van Pulling A C'van

I'm slightly embarrassed to ask as I know towing weights have been done to death several times, but we tow with a new Custom Van, and we want to know if my wife on a 'B' only license can tow the outfit ?

According to 'What Tow Car' the c'van fully loaded is 1445MPTLW which is also confirmed on the door tag, and the van with a user payload of 150kg gives us a GTW of 3440kg, which according to Cat 'B' license needs is just under by 60kg - this gives us a 71% ratio

However - the technical max weight the van can also have put in it is 900kg user payload giving us a GTW of a nats whisker under 4. 2T which of course I know she can't pull around on a Cat 'B' but also gives us a 51% ratio

So what do you look for - the Max it 'CAN' be loaded, or the realistic weight ?

I'm just thinking if I can't drive with my BE for what ever reason, can she get us home ??

Personally I'm thinking I need to view it as the maximum everything can be loaded to - am I right, if so - How do we get home if I'm 'broken' :)

As far as I know there are no acceptable ways of driving without the appropriate driving licence. I believe that it is the plated maximum weights which apply for driving licences.

Edited by Ern

I preferred your other answer before you edited it :)

Have a look here

Category B - if you passed your test on or after 1 January 1997

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).

You can also tow heavier trailers if the total MAM of the vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg.

Your assumption in your last sentence seems to be correct. As for the question about being "broken", I would say that the legal answer is to get someone with B+E to come and get you.

Or put the wife through B&E test.

Edited by hp100425ev

You say that the caravan has an MTPLM of 1445kg, but you don't say what the GVW of the towing Custom Van is. To be able to tow on a B licence, its GVW must not exceed 2055kg, regardless of any GTW or payload.

It's Gross Vehicle Weight plus MTPLM.

Although I believe that the outfit can be used with L plates provided the driver is accompanied with a suitably qualified supervisor. So assuming that you aren't unconcious and can accompany your wife i reckon you should be OK.

It's worth checking though be fore doing it

Edited by matelodave

The GVW of the Custom (when loaded to the nuts) is 2900 - which when coupled to the c'van gives us 4345kg :(

I know this is way over the top for 'B' only - but the issue is how do we get home if I can't

It's an extremely remote chance, but there is always the what if ? scenario

Edited by RYCKO

The GVW of the Custom (when loaded to the nuts) is 2900 - which when coupled to the c'van gives us 4345kg :(

I know this is way over the top for 'B' only - but the issue is how do we get home if I can't

I have Mayday for this reason as they can supply a driver if the main driver is unable to drive for some reason .

Dave

• Like 1

Personally I'm thinking I need to view it as the maximum everything can be loaded to - am I right, if so - How do we get home if I'm 'broken'

Recovery and breakdown insurance

As posted above, it's the sum of the MAMs that matters for licence purposes - at 4345 kg that needs BE.

Two observations:-

- it's legal for your wife to drive the outfit with B only if "L" plates are displayed and accompanied by a driver with BE who isn't incapacitated - that includes motorways so no need to change route - your wife should get some experience of the outfit while you're available so share the driving between you

- if you are incapacitated, then all you're short of is a BE driver and you may well find voluteers for that.

It does seem to make sense for your wife to take/pass the +E test at some time in the future.

Edited by Black Grouse

I preferred your other answer before you edited it :)

You were on the ball then. I had second thoughts and decided it was a bit too abrupt. Subsequent posts suggest it was wrong too. We all learn! Edited by Ern

I'm slightly embarrassed to ask as I know towing weights have been done to death several times, but we tow with a new Custom Van, and we want to know if my wife on a 'B' only license can tow the outfit ?

According to 'What Tow Car' the c'van fully loaded is 1445MPTLW which is also confirmed on the door tag, and the van with a user payload of 150kg gives us a GTW of 3440kg, which according to Cat 'B' license needs is just under by 60kg - this gives us a 71% ratio

However - the technical max weight the van can also have put in it is 900kg user payload giving us a GTW of a nats whisker under 4. 2T which of course I know she can't pull around on a Cat 'B' but also gives us a 51% ratio

So what do you look for - the Max it 'CAN' be loaded, or the realistic weight ?

I'm just thinking if I can't drive with my BE for what ever reason, can she get us home ??

Personally I'm thinking I need to view it as the maximum everything can be loaded to - am I right, if so - How do we get home if I'm 'broken' :)

So where are you and I assume you are going back to St. Albans.

So where are you and I assume you are going back to St. Albans.

At home. It was just a thought. One of those "lets go away again moments but what if. ....."

Thankfully I'm fit and healthy but following an incident with a friend unrelated to caravaning it was a simple thought process

The law is -

B licence driving B+E set up with L plates and correct insurance along with a person holding a B+E in passenger seat who is over age 21 and has held that for 3+ years

The interesting thing is that the B+E holder in this case does not need to be insured unless they are going to actually drive it

The B+E holder needs to be ALERT (not under the influence etc) when supervising but there is no law stating they must be able to drive - hence the no need to be insured to do so

I think many of us are in the same 'what if' boat. Although she had a licence which would have allowed her to tow the caravan, my wife would never have done so, not even in an emergency. She wouldn't even drive my car solo because she perceived it as being too big for her.

Our combination is 5030 Kg and almost 13m long (I have a CE licence so no probs), there is no way on this earth or the next that I'd let the Mrs drive it, she struggles with parking our Suzuki Swift bless her. If I was incapacitated I would get ADAC (German AA) to come and sort us out.

Just to ask, as I have a friend who wishes to buy a van, but only has the B class license, their car has a GVW of 2100kgs, so am i correct in saying they can tow a van that has a MTPLM of 1399 kgs or less WITHOUT needing a B&E test?

That's the way i understand it, but don't want to give them wrong or misleading info. Local test centre said they needed a B&E to tow full stop!

Just to ask, as I have a friend who wishes to buy a van, but only has the B class license, their car has a GVW of 2100kgs, so am i correct in saying they can tow a van that has a MTPLM of 1399 kgs or less WITHOUT needing a B&E test?

That's the way i understand it, but don't want to give them wrong or misleading info. Local test centre said they needed a B&E to tow full stop!

Correct - well technically 1,400kg - the law is worded that 3,500 kg is ok, 3,501 kg isn't.

It seems to be a common "urban myth" that you need BE to tow anything.

• Like 1

Do you know what it is. Our van has an empty wet weight of nearly 2t and load capacity of a further 900kg. 2100kg fully loaded seems small in terms of a van. Meaning it's own empty weight may not be big enough to pull a 1400kg c'van as the van could weigh less than the c'van ?

Do you know what it is. Our van has an empty wet weight of nearly 2t and load capacity of a further 900kg. 2100kg fully loaded seems small in terms of a van. Meaning it's own empty weight may not be big enough to pull a 1400kg c'van as the van could weigh less than the c'van ?

I took KWF's post to mean that their friend has a car MAW 2100kg and looking to buy a (cara)van up to 1500kg.

The 'what if' can happen. It did to us, sort of. I had a bit of a fall when I was picking the caravan up from storage last year. I didn't think much of it, apart from 'I'm going to be sore tomorrow'. Being a bit dim, I hooked up, drove home, loaded and we went away for the weekend. It was only after we'd got everything set up that I realised it actually did hurt quite a lot, so off we went to A&E. Cue a diagnosis of a broken wrist and torn ankle ligaments. So a cast on my wrist and heavy strapping on my leg. As I said, I'm a bit dim.

My wife isn't licensed for our outfit, so couldn't tow the caravan home. It's an irrelevant point anyway, she wouldn't go near it even if she was allowed. Fortunately we were only 30 odd miles from home, so a friend was able to come out next day and tow it home for me. It does play on my mind a bit what would happen if we were at the opposite end of the country. Our insurance is up for renewal shortly, and it's in my mind that it offers something to cover that eventuality, I must remember to check.

I took KWF's post to mean that their friend has a car MAW 2100kg and looking to buy a (cara)van up to 1500kg.

Oops. I should learn to read a bit better. I think your completely correct. My bad !

that's correct, i got them to check the chassis plate rather than the manual, it actually says 2230 MAM figure rather than the manuals 2100kgs. So they are limited to 1270kgs MTPLM caravan. Makes choices a little more difficult but not impossible.

Despite the car having the power to pull more, chassis plate has a maximum of 1400kgs anyway. So i have advised them to pickup a lighter van, and see how they get on with a caravan. IF they enjoy it, and want to make a bigger investment, then do the B&E course and consider a larger van, but if they want to go over 1400kgs, then they would have to change car as well. Think they saw my Twin axle and thought 'great we can get one of those!' and i am sure they are not the first to think it either.

that's correct, i got them to check the chassis plate rather than the manual, it actually says 2230 MAM figure rather than the manuals 2100kgs. So they are limited to 1270kgs MTPLM caravan. Makes choices a little more difficult but not impossible.

Despite the car having the power to pull more, chassis plate has a maximum of 1400kgs anyway. So i have advised them to pickup a lighter van, and see how they get on with a caravan. IF they enjoy it, and want to make a bigger investment, then do the B&E course and consider a larger van, but if they want to go over 1400kgs, then they would have to change car as well. Think they saw my Twin axle and thought 'great we can get one of those!' and i am sure they are not the first to think it either.

Sounds like they're getting excellent advice - to keep under 1270kg MTPLM may mean buying older - but that has the advantage of being cheaper and lower losses if they don't like it and sell it off.

• Like 1