Motor Mover On Twin Axle

Kathy657

Our caravan is 7. 9 metres overall. Never had a problem siting it anywhere.

Strange how people's experiences can be so different.

I meant with the car attached but yes you are right . Maybe its because we had a single axle caravan before and expected this to move in the same way

I had a Truma 2wd on a 2000kg 8m van for a couple of years and changed it to a Pwrtouch 4wd, what a huge difference going in and out of my drive and on sloping sites.

Since then I have had 2 more big vans and both have had the 4wd Pwrtouch fitted.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

When we first had our current Sterling TA @ 1900kg, we had a single mover (Purpleline) fitted. It did OK but was not really powerful enough and also stuggled on tighter turns. I got another one from Ebay and fitted that myself. All you have to do is re-start the handset in program mode and set things to 4WD and it allows feathering and blocks pirouetting. It is now fine. Also, having been used to escape from some horrible, wet steam fair pitches last year, I don't think it would have managed if all the wheels weren't singing off the same sheet.

I am happy to accept that Powertouch probably make a more powerful unit than mine and 2WD would suffice most of the time.

However, I would hate to find out when it really mattered!

Before we bought our 2wd we did a lot of searching.

One of the things I studied was a video which compared the turning circle of a 2wd mover on a twin with a 4wd. I'm dammned if I can find the thing now, as it would be helpful to those undecided about which to get as it lets you see how tight the respective turning circles actually are.

If anybody knows where it might be a link would be good.

Edited by Tin_Snail

Is this it.

Peter

Before we bought our 2wd we did a lot of searching.

One of the things I studied was a video which compared the turning circle of a 2wd mover on a twin with a 4wd. I'm dammned if I can find the thing now, as it would be helpful to those undecided about which to get as it lets you see how tight the respective turning circles actually are.

If anybody knows where it might be a link would be good.

I know the one you mean from when I looked at a twin mover against a AWD and the difference is slightly better but your never going to get a twin turn like a single axle and then balanced against cost and added weight and loss of payload I decided to have a few more shuffles to turn but to turn mine I have my mover on the rear axle and place car skates under the front wheels to turn a 180 on my drive .

The video showed the caravan turning from a elevated position and the difference between the 2 and 4 motors .

Edit

The one that Wasp has posted is the one or part of a edited version .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Our last TA, Challenger 630 had a Purpleline Titanium 2WD on the rear axle, no problems whatsoever. When we bought the current van rather than swap the mover off the Challenger they gave us a new Powrtouch again 2WD on the rear axle and again, no problems to date. I raise the front of the van as high as possible to take the weight off the front axle when manoeuvering and have a foam filled jockey wheel. I have to do a 90 degree turn to get the van on my drive and it does it in one go.

I've witnessed 4WD movers on a large Bailey and to be honest it didn't look significantly more manoeuverable than my set up.

I have a Truma XT2 on a TA Bailey, 1800kg MTPLM. It suits us but there is clearly a compromise. I don't find the reduced turning circle any issue at all, but when trying to get over a lip, in one case a concrete slab pitch, the rollers can slip on wet tyres. Similarly I can significantly reduce the turning circle by leaning on a corner, and carry some thin plastic grip sheets to help in those situations. On a sloping pitch with wet tyres again I may have to lean against the front or rear for extra assistance. I might adjust the tyre clearance this year to improve the roller grip.

But in my opinion and for my current state of health it's a reasonable compromise. I save a big chunk of weight and leave the jacking points clear. If I was less able I can well understand that someone may decide that a 4WD mover is the only choice. Or is regularly having to park on a steep drive through an 'S'. So far I've always been able to get the van in position even if I have to recouple the car right at the end in an awkward location to push it into final position.

Truma have a good cartoon showing the relative turning circle of 4WD vs 2WD on their web site.

I have two movers on my twin axle Barcelona. Worked very satisfactorily for years. Then I noticed it was struggling to turn the van and speed had dropped significantly and discovered one of the movers had stopped working (due to a broken spade connector to the motor). Once it was repaired, it worked fine and again had full manoeuvrability.

With this experience, I'd recommend AWD movers if cost allows.

• 3 years later...
On 31/03/2017 at 14:02, CommanderDave said:

I have no problem with my twin axle and just one axle driven . Climbs kerbs and slopes with no issues

Single axle mover will turn a caravan by one wheel stopping and only one wheel driving a twin axle when turning the outside wheel is driven and the inside wheel will pulse or run at half speed . My control box has a change over switch to allow fitting to single or twin axle caravan .

Dave

What mover do you have please?

Just now, sewfunkybaby said:

What mover do you have please? Desperate to sort some for my van just keep going round 8n circles can't decide on which ones.

On 31/03/2017 at 14:02, CommanderDave said:

I have no problem with my twin axle and just one axle driven . Climbs kerbs and slopes with no issues

Single axle mover will turn a caravan by one wheel stopping and only one wheel driving a twin axle when turning the outside wheel is driven and the inside wheel will pulse or run at half speed . My control box has a change over switch to allow fitting to single or twin axle caravan .

Dave

What mover do you have please?

1 hour ago, sewfunkybaby said:

What mover do you have please?

What mover do you have please?

This is quite an old thread if you look at the date (2017) but if it’s any help we have a powrtouch mover on the rear axle of our twin axle Swift. Performs perfectly adequately. 

We have an Emove EM303 driving just the front axle on our twin axle van and find it quite adequate. The EM303 is designed to move single or twin axle vans but can be linked with a second set of the same movers without any special linking components as detailed in the OP in order to make all wheel drive.

A second pair of motors will assist with turning the van, but will still not enable the caravan to turn around it's own axis as a single can, as twin axles by design simply can't do that. Neither will they move the van faster, as the speed of movement is set by the control box and one pair of motors on our 1700kg van are sufficient to reach that maximum speed. 

Ours works well enough for us, that doesn't mean that all wheel drive would not be any better, just that the advantages would not warrant the extra expense. 

I see I made a post here back in 2017 about the Truma XT2 two motor mover on a Bailey Barcelona. As another reference point we still have the same van and mover and 3 years later I'm completely satisfied. There's ample speed and power for any hill I've encountered and it's very controllable. OK it won't turn quite as sharply as a 4WD but the extra time needed for a shuffle is seconds only, not minutes or hours. Since I last posted I've adjusted the roller clearance correctly and no longer have the wet tyre issue I mentioned before.

I also like that the jacking points remain clear since the mover is on the front wheels.

If I can think of any issue at all it's that the remote needs two hands to operate unlike our old powertouch.

Ditto, another Truma XT2 mover on the rear axle.

There has never been a place that I haven't been able to put the caravan with the 2WD mover.

• 1 month later...

Interesting read. We have a twin axle swift fitted with powrtouch 2wd system from new (2019)  and we are struggling with manoeuvring it round 90 degree bends. Wondering if we should splash out and upgrade it to AWD for next year as it is spoiling our enjoyment at the moment to be honest. 

On 06/09/2020 at 17:21, Grumpy2 said:

Interesting read. We have a twin axle swift fitted with powrtouch 2wd system from new (2019)  and we are struggling with manoeuvring it round 90 degree bends. Wondering if we should splash out and upgrade it to AWD for next year as it is spoiling our enjoyment at the moment to be honest. 

We have one of the current Reich AWD movers on our 2000kg Bessacarr and it turns it effortlessly.

If anything, using the direct turn mode on the hand control for sharp turns on tarmac looks a bit alarming as it looks as though the tyres will be dislodged from the rims.

No different though to what happens in a jack knife reverse manoeuvre I suppose when done with the car.

There is a slow turn option, that gives a very slow turn but less punishing on the tyres.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845