Sign in to follow this  
Towtug

It Does Happen!

When I towed my Eriba Puck L, it was normal to see other caravans displaying all the no,no's of overloading.

Too much nose weight, too little noseweight, wagging tails under inflated tyres, badly loaded, grass still in the

wheel rims from where they had dragged the caravan straight out of the field they kept it in. The OP's young

man was just unlucky. Me? I fitted towing mirrors and they kept me out of it :D

Edited by gumdrop

Great. Upload it then. :)

It may infringe the Data Protection laws if the photo was uploaded.

It may infringe the Data Protection laws if the photo was uploaded.

Not if the reg is obscured.

I was just curious to see what one of these tickets look like, no big deal.

There is only one way to establish an accurate axle weight for any given outfit and especially with a twin axle caravan -

a Dynamic Axle Weighbridge/Beam.

Consult with your nearest VOSA site or if you live within a short distance of Runcorn,Cheshire the ring the manufacturer of those weighbridges/beams :--Axle Weight Technology Ltd. Picow Farm Rd, Runcorn WA7 4UN

Hours:
For the sake of a visit and a few pounds for a weighbridge confirmation ticket - you could find yourself in serious trouble.
These bridges are the most accurate that you will ever visit.

Apart from the fact VOSA has been replaced by DVSA. ..

On my way down to Tamworth on the M6 I overtook ford C-Max towing a Luna delta twin axle, That had me pondering for a while.

An accident waiting to happen. the driver would have been prosecuted as the maximum towing weight on the C Max is 1500kg and that is lower than the MIRO of the Delta TI. Problem is that today's traffic police rely too heavily on cameras hence people get away with many offences and carry on blissfully unaware that they are a danger to other road users.

An accident waiting to happen. the driver would have been prosecuted as the maximum towing weight on the C Max is 1500kg and that is lower than the MIRO of the Delta TI. Problem is that today's traffic police rely too heavily on cameras hence people get away with many offences and carry on blissfully unaware that they are a danger to other road users.

Cuts have meant that Traffic Police are a thing of the past - and any prosecution would have to be for something else like exceeding the GTW as the towing limit isn't a plated figure.

It looked really odd one of those scratchy head moments, I'm sure traffic would have looked at it the same way and pulled it over, mind you I very rarely see traffic police on the motorway, unless they are all undercover.

Edited by J1966

This is why we like pulling our caravan with a new custom van. MPTLW of c'van 1465

Payload of custom, 900kg.

Would have to go some to overload it

Cuts have meant that Traffic Police are a thing of the past - and any prosecution would have to be for something else like exceeding the GTW as the towing limit isn't a plated figure.

This guy was seriously overloaded by 820 kg over the vehicles trainweight . If he had an accident his insurance company would refuse to payout I should think for his new 2017 Sportage .

1140+1170+890+1020 actual = 4220 kg and with a 3400 kg vehicle Mtw = 820 kg .

I think that is the most overweight caravan outfit I have read .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

This guy was seriously overloaded by 820 kg over the vehicles trainweight . If he had an accident his insurance company would refuse to payout I should think for his new 2017 Sportage .

1140+1170+890+1020 actual = 4220 kg and with a 3400 kg vehicle Mtw = 820 kg .

I think that is the most overweight caravan outfit I have read .

Dave

I wasn't suggesting he shouldn't be prosecuted for exceeding the Gross Train Weight - he just couldn't be prosecuted for exceeding the towing limit.

It's good that DVSA carry out spot checks and prosecute where appropriate.

• Like 1

I wasn't suggesting he shouldn't be prosecuted for exceeding the Gross Train Weight - he just couldn't be prosecuted for exceeding the towing limit.

It's good that DVSA carry out spot checks and prosecute where appropriate.

Yip ! Some of the sights I have seen on my travels beggars belief. Lack of towing mirrors. On the spot Fine. Malfunctioning lights. On the spot fine. Cracks on the walls of the Tyres. Wrong rear number plate. On the spot fine. That's just for starters ! If I get stopped by VOSA in the lorry and have any of the faults I have just mentioned I will be heavily fined and the Company will be put on the VOSA Traffic Light Scheme which is a certain future check and more. ...

Don't know why more vans are not pulled at the VOSA Check Points . ....

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh

On my way down to Tamworth on the M6 I overtook ford C-Max towing a Luna delta twin axle, That had me pondering for a while.

Hi J. Would either of these two images have had you pondering ?

post-71536-0-12555000-1490954846_thumb.jpg

post-71536-0-81956800-1490953748_thumb.jpg

The point being - do the traffic police and the traffic officers (VOSA) go by what they know or by what they are able to pull up on a data base ?

The point being - do the traffic police and the traffic officers (VOSA) go by what they know or by what they are able to pull up on a data base ?

My guess is that initially they use neither! They simply go by what looks "iffy".

If an outfit looks in proportion, rides reasonably level and at a proper sort of height, is travelling at a sensible speed and appears to be in good condition they ignore it! Both the photo's fall into the "ignore it" category irrespective of the numbers.

Unless, of course, they are doing a campaign on caravans and things are a bit quiet, in which case they simply pull up the next one that comes along.

Hi J. Would either of these two images have had you pondering ?

attachicon.gifImports from Verbatim External Hard Drive 882. jpg

attachicon.gif210420141391. jpg

This outfit definitely looks iffy. Who would have such an awful clash between the car colour and the caravan trim? Shouldn't be allowed on the road.

• Like 3

This outfit definitely looks iffy. Who would have such an awful clash between the car colour and the caravan trim? Shouldn't be allowed on the road.

Hi tb's. Could you be more specific as there are clearly two entirely different cars with the same caravan.

If in your opinion they both look iffy then what about the next two.

In actual fact all three of the cars that had a Blue finish that actually in the flesh (metal) so to speak looked absolutely OK

As for the Ash Gold V70 - well I was not about to change my caravan just on a fashion whim - that said I was however wearing my Gold Llame shreddies in preparation for some fashionable posing :D

post-71536-0-26010200-1490958292_thumb.jpg

post-71536-0-79830400-1490958299_thumb.jpg

My guess is that initially they use neither! They simply go by what looks "iffy".

If an outfit looks in proportion, rides reasonably level and at a proper sort of height, is travelling at a sensible speed and appears to be in good condition they ignore it! Both the photo's fall into the "ignore it" category irrespective of the numbers.

Unless, of course, they are doing a campaign on caravans and things are a bit quiet, in which case they simply pull up the next one that comes along.

Hi Stevan. The hidden (from sight) gem with the image of the Phase 1 1997 V70 T5 CD Auto was that it was actually pulling a caravan that according to a particular well known 'Bible of Towing' data base was totally iffy,it was listed as being 1345kgs kerbweight which was actually one of 5 different figures all of which were given for the same input of vehicle details albeit the maximum braked towing weight was 1600kgs.

The caravan MTPLM was 1750kgs but in that particular image it weighed-in at just below the maximum braked towing limit of the V70.

That was on-route to Anglesey were the North Wales Traffic Police are known to descend like vultures on a carcass.

Just because something looks right and proper doesn't mean that it is - the caravan would ride perfectly OK even when loaded to the MTPLM as was often the case with the later Volvo V70's.

Edited by AWanderingLancastrian

I recently bought a new kayak and fancied the green one, that was until my wife said i had to buy the blue one to match the car!

My point is it looked odd enough to raise suspicion, a bit like the Subaru forester with its bonnet and headlights pointing to the stars towing a twin i noticed leaving site once, you could see right through the front wheels, I raised an eyebrow at that as well.

Am I the only person here who has noticed that this outfit was singled out because it was visibly overloaded?

Had they kept the loading within reason, irrespective of whether they were a few kilos either way on any of the four axles, they would have simply sailed past unchallenged as, no doubt, did many others.

On top of that the overrun brake was defective the lights did not function effectively due to a homemade taped up connection from the 13 Pin Plug to a 7 pin socket, and he had no towing mirrors.

Edited by xtrailman

MOT Caravans! . .... :D

I would be wondering why someone would fit rear big-feet back to front or maybe its an optical illusion :ph34r:

MOT Caravans! . .... :D

How does that stop over-loading?

How does that stop over-loading?

It will make some of the less aware perhaps more aware ;)

On top of that the overrun brake was defective the lights did not function effectively due to a homemade taped up connection from the 13 Pin Plug to a 7 pin socket, and he had no towing mirrors.

Yes but, the other points, except perhaps the absence of towing mirrors, would only be seen after it had attracted attention and been stopped. Even the lack of towing mirrors would be unlikely to attract attention unless the operation was targeted at caravans.

• Like 1