It Does Happen!

Towtug

I had the opportunity this week to take part in a Multi Agency intervention on one of the routes to the South coast . Despite all of the published information about vehicle weights and the musings on this site, it would seem that for some people if their car will pull it, it doesn't even cross their mind whether it is legal or not.

One individual, a guy in his late Twenties, with Wife, Two kids and a large dog, plus luggage knew "absolutely everything" (his words, as he was a law graduate) about traffic law, but still failed to comprehend the basics before setting off for Easter with the In laws in Spain.

He was pulled in because the outfit looked "backside heavy" despite being a tandem axle van (Lexon 640) being pulled by a 2017 Sportage 1.

The Lexon was plated at MTPLM 1800 kg, the Sportage has a Towable Mass of 1400 Kg, no problem with that but the actual masses were as follows

Sportage Axle 1 1140 Kg (Plated 1280 )

Axle 2 1170 Kg (Plated 1150) This was with the caravan coupled so included the imposed load

MAM is plated at 2000 Kg

Caravan Axle 1 890 Kg (Plated 900)

Axle 2 1020 Kg (Plated 900)

The Sportage MC weight is 3400 Kg

The caravan was being used more as a trailer as they were delivering a new flat packed kitchen (amongst other stuff) that they were going to fit whilst stopping in the van.

On top of that the overrun brake was defective the lights did not function effectively due to a homemade taped up connection from the 13 Pin Plug to a 7 pin socket, and he had no towing mirrors.

As far as I know, he is still there telling the Police and DVSA guys that they are wrong.

Edited by Towtug

When is the next episode.

The first one is very promising.

Bob

I thought it was just me :)

When is the next episode.

The first one is very promising.

Bob

It was all being filmed but I'm not sure it was for the TV, I think they should of let him go and let him take his chances with the French plod.

It was all being filmed but I'm not sure it was for the TV, I think they should of let him go and let him take his chances with the French plod.

Caravan Finder TV often film this type of thing, perhaps it'll turn up on an episode soon.

Graham are you reading this?

As a matter of interest how is the average caravanner meant to check axle loadings on their car and then caravan?

Blatant overloading is one thing but can any of us be 100% sure of what loads they are being put under? Yes we can weigh stuff as we load up the car and caravan but surely the actual loading on the axles is dynamic based on where stuff is actually placed in the vehicle/trailer.

As a matter of interest how is the average caravanner meant to check axle loadings on their car and then caravan?

Blatant overloading is one thing but can any of us be 100% sure of what loads they are being put under? Yes we can weigh stuff as we load up the car and caravan but surely the actual loading on the axles is dynamic based on where stuff is actually placed in the vehicle/trailer.

Reich weight gauge is one method . I was surprised first time I used mine as I would of not thought I was over .

Dave

Reich weight gauge is one method . I was surprised first time I used mine as I would of not thought I was over .

Dave

The reviews on Amazon don't inspire me with a great deal of confidence. .......

At one point I tried two both gave different readings one being 100kg different to the other at times and I could never get the same weight twice even when rolling over at the same speed using a mover.

On the same day my caravan showed 1420 kg on a certified weighbridge and 1330 kg using a Reich weighing device. My only error with the Reich may have been not to give it time to stabilise to the ambient temperature, which was quite low.

John.

Can't quite understand how first axle was light yet car seemed tail heavy !!!!

The post states that 'the outfit' seemed to be 'backside heavy' not the car.

The 120kg over weight on the rear caravan axle could have been the cause!

I had the opportunity this week to take part in a Multi Agency intervention on one of the routes to the South coast . Despite all of the published information about vehicle weights and the musings on this site, it would seem that for some people if their car will pull it, it doesn't even cross their mind whether it is legal or not.

One individual, a guy in his late Twenties, with Wife, Two kids and a large dog, plus luggage knew "absolutely everything" (his words, as he was a law graduate) about traffic law, but still failed to comprehend the basics before setting off for Easter with the In laws in Spain.

He was pulled in because the outfit looked "backside heavy" despite being a tandem axle van (Lexon 640) being pulled by a 2017 Sportage 1.

The Lexon was plated at MTPLM 1800 kg, the Sportage has a Towable Mass of 1400 Kg, no problem with that but the actual masses were as follows

Sportage Axle 1 1140 Kg (Plated 1280 )

Axle 2 1170 Kg (Plated 1150) This was with the caravan coupled so included the imposed load

MAM is plated at 2000 Kg

Caravan Axle 1 890 Kg (Plated 900)

Axle 2 1020 Kg (Plated 900)

The Sportage MC weight is 3400 Kg

The caravan was being used more as a trailer as they were delivering a new flat packed kitchen (amongst other stuff) that they were going to fit whilst stopping in the van.

On top of that the overrun brake was defective the lights did not function effectively due to a homemade taped up connection from the 13 Pin Plug to a 7 pin socket, and he had no towing mirrors.

As far as I know, he is still there telling the Police and DVSA guys that they are wrong.

More interesting is how were the outfits weighed was it just each axle or were any units unhitched?

What equipment was used please?

It says coupled .

3400 kg Mtw and looking at those axle weights he will be lucky if he don't get a guest appearance to use his law graduate training in court to explain why he is dangerously overloaded .

Dave

More interesting is how were the outfits weighed was it just each axle or were any units unhitched?

What equipment was used please?

I didn't witness the weighing I was involved with the main target of the day Agricultural vehicles and was told about it afterwards. In the past we have used portable weigh pads and weighed each axle. If there is cause for concern the vehicles are then taken to a weighbridge.

It's always a case of measuring axle loads as that is what is plated both on the statutory plate of the vehicle and on the axle itself.

I didn't witness the weighing I was involved with the main target of the day Agricultural vehicles and was told about it afterwards. In the past we have used portable weigh pads and weighed each axle. If there is cause for concern the vehicles are then taken to a weighbridge.

It's always a case of measuring axle loads as that is what is plated both on the statutory plate of the vehicle and on the axle itself.

You must have taken incredibly detailed notes of what you were told. ...

You must have taken incredibly detailed notes of what you were told. ...

It's my job to be detailed I often have to write reports as evidence . ... but in this case I took a photo of the weigh ticket.

It's my job to be detailed I often have to write reports as evidence . ... but in this case I took a photo of the weigh ticket.

Great. Upload it then. :)

Am I the only person here who has noticed that this outfit was singled out because it was visibly overloaded?

Had they kept the loading within reason, irrespective of whether they were a few kilos either way on any of the four axles, they would have simply sailed past unchallenged as, no doubt, did many others.

Am I the only person here who has noticed that this outfit was singled out because it was visibly overloaded?Had they kept the loading within reason, irrespective of whether they were a few kilos either way on any of the four axles, they would have simply sailed past unchallenged as, no doubt, did many others.

Combined with a lack of extended mirrors???

Combined with a lack of extended mirrors???

I imagine that's what got them noticed first, then finding them overweight was just a bonus.

On my way down to Tamworth on the M6 I overtook ford C-Max towing a Luna delta twin axle, That had me pondering for a while.

Am I the only person here who has noticed that this outfit was singled out because it was visibly overloaded?

Had they kept the loading within reason, irrespective of whether they were a few kilos either way on any of the four axles, they would have simply sailed past unchallenged as, no doubt, did many others.

That's how good "policing" works - old-fashioned common sense - problem is that the politically correct lobby gets it banned for "harassment"

Thats the theory i normally work on, if it looks right i should be alright. This is the case for many people especially when towing plant trailers or large flatbeds, i have never seen anyone get a nose weight gauge out in a builders yard when they are loaded up its normally just looking at the set up making sure it all looks levelish.