Review: Outlander Phev

We're considering moving to a spot that has a solar array installed on the roof. Apparently it's a 2012 installation and is therefore on an early FIT tariff which has another 19 inflation proof years to run. The owner tells me he got £1,600 in FIT payments this year and his energy charges were about £1,200. I reckon that with a bit more judicious insulation and the fact that he fitted a new boiler last Autumn I can get those charges down to about £1,000 a year, so the FIT payment will exceed the energy bill by about £600 a year. It's overall effect though is to reduce our outgoings by £1,600 a year, which can't be bad.

Sadly current FIT tariffs, even with the much lower costs of installation, mean you only make about £500 to £1,000 'profit' over investment by the end of the 20 year contracts that are available now. The current owner of the place we're considering is trying to recoup some of his original installation costs in a premium on his property asking price.

Having read up on these things I have a query as to whether the the DC/AC Inverter is due for renewal, or has been renewed. Apparently they last around 5 years and cost about £800 to renew.

We had a solar array fitted in 2012 which was the sweet spot for Fit payments against installation costs. Taking into account the feed in payments and the feedback payments as well as the savings on bills ours are already at breakeven. I am not sure if a premium on the house price is really justified as It can also put off some buyers. We don't intend to move so it was never an issue for us.

Have considered an electric car for commuting but unless we had batteries in the house the solar panels would not really help which is a shame.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our neighbour's son has a PHEV and every time he visits his parents the car is plugged into the socket in his Dad's garage. I bet if it was a normally fuelled car he wouldn't dream of pinching fuel f

Just following up on this, I recently stayed at one of our favourite CLs in Cambridgeshire and, simply, asked the owner how much extra I would need to pay to charge my PHEV. He asked how much a charg

Just returned home from the Lake District with our 15 plate PHEV Outlander and for the first time decided to check on the petrol side of our hybrid motor. We tow a Bailey Pageant Burgundy which tows

thebriars

Posted July 18

On 16/07/2017 at 22:37, Angel1 said:

Just returned home from the Lake District with our 15 plate PHEV Outlander and for the first time decided to check on the petrol side of our hybrid motor. We tow a Bailey Pageant Burgundy which tows well behind the PHEV. Just before pulling onto the M6 we filled up with petrol, I brimmed it which is not recommended but thought it would be easier to work out the mileage when filled on arrival at home, I reset the clock to zero and off we went. We did not make home and stopped off on the M1 Wakefield turn off and a couple of hundred yards after the slip road filled up at the first garage we came to. I made a note of the mileage, and the amount of fuel to brim it again. I had an idea it was a little thirsty, a 2 litre petrol pulling a heavy car and a reasonably heavy van will not return good figures. I was not prepared for the result, 17. 1 mpg. I was so surprised I re-calculated but got the same figure. 99. 9% of the mileage was motorway with the cruise control set at 60mph, verified by our sat nav.

We have had two 4. 2 Toyota diesel Landcruiser Amazons which blinded the PHEV on mpg. So it's a no brainer, our next towcar will not be another hybrid PHEV that's for sure.

The hybrid is ok round town if you do less than 25 miles and can get back home to charge it up again. For rural driving and towing I have to say it's use is very limited.

Was this running solely on petrol, or was the car also recharging the batteries?.

Ideally such a test should be done with the batteries full and then run on petrol only.

Apologies in the delay in replying to your question.

Question 1) When towing the caravan all the electrical energy generated is required to tow the van, it will not charge when towing.

Question 2) When towing the van, the batteries are drained within 15 miles-ish. Add these 15 miles to my original calculations and it makes very very little difference. As I have stated before, the PHEV is an ok car in many ways, the electric battery technology is just not there yet. I think it will take many years before we can tow on electric.  

Phil*

• 1 year later...

Well here I am digging up an old thread as I'm sure many of you are aware I have pretty strong views about Hybrid cars not being the holy grail that theyre said to be. I also was one that reported Mitsubishi to the ASA for their misleading adverts regarding the Outlander PHEV which was upheld. I also said that I'd like an Outlander PHEV for my other half because her car use is a perfect fit for the PHEV.

Well......... I own one, the Galaxy died with a dodgy Powershift Gearbox and a 2015 PHEV purchased. I can confirm a) all what said about fuel consumption is correct, the electric range isnt good but it is amazing! In 3 weeks we've had 100% electric driving apart from the 200 miles collecting it. It charges overnight on economy 7 tariff at 8.3p per unit, zero road tax, cheaper insurance and in some places free parking!

AJG

Need to change my name now to AJPHEV LOL