Leaking Gas Bottle

tom_1989

Hi Everyone,

When our caravan was serviced the engineer said the gas bottle itself had a very slight leak on it. He explained its not unusual and there was nothing to worry about as it was so minimal the gas level could never be high enough to cause a fire as the locker is vented and fine to use, he did say though if you start to smell it inside then get rid of it asap.

Do you reckon i could save myself a few quid and get a free replacement from Calor? Its already half empty as we used it a few weekends last year.

Cheers, Tom

How old is your bottle, if it's Calor Lite there is a product recall, go onto Calor Web Site for full details, if your is not on the recall dates i would request/demand a full refund or replacement

No leak should be ignored.

Some people are under the impression that you need a box full of gas to create the correct circumstances for an explosion.

In actual fact the flammability limits for propane are 2. 1% to 10. 1% gas in air, so you don't need much propane mixed with air for it to ignite.

Hi Everyone,

When our caravan was serviced the engineer said the gas bottle itself had a very slight leak on it. He explained its not unusual and there was nothing to worry about as it was so minimal the gas level could never be high enough to cause a fire as the locker is vented and fine to use, he did say though if you start to smell it inside then get rid of it asap.

Do you reckon i could save myself a few quid and get a free replacement from Calor? Its already half empty as we used it a few weekends last year.

Cheers, Tom

I think 'ignoring a gas leak (however small)' comes into the category of 'seriously bad advice'.

Personally I would be changing both the cylinder and the 'engineer'.

If it's a calor lite bottle I understand that the ones that have been recalled and repaired have a hole drilled into the metal tag that surrounds the neck (According to a CC warden I might add as a caveat).

Personally I would be taking it back to the dealer and asking for an exchange (free or at least at half cost) if you get no joy contact Calor.

Be safe get it changed.

This is home but I had some gas pipes worked on by a Gas Safe engineer the next day a friend called and he said he smelt gas I could not but when he gone I rang the Gas emergency number. They responded very quickly and did tests around the new work with his sensitive equipment and found a joint leaking. He said extremely small leak and if any less would have been no leak at all and my friend must have a very good sense of smell.

FWIW Calor's web site says -

Might be worth giving them a bell.

Emergencies

If you smell gas or detect a gas leak, please call our 24 hour hotline:
03457 444 999

Reason my bungalow doesn't have a large Calor tank in garden any longer . . we could always detect 'something in the air'.

Likewise I have had two bottles with an aroma and both have been changed by dealers without question. ....perhaps I am a little more picky than some but as most of you know we lost a caravan to a gas leak and resulting fire.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I have had a bottle that leaked about the valve to bottle joint; it was changed without issue. I would certainly not expect to pay for an exchange under these circumstances.

Take leaks seriously, look at todays papers, Wirral the Merseyside!

I reported a smell of gas on my way home at the end of a shift, the

operator told me it was the river I could smell, I insisted that they

sent someone out and waited. There were some very red faces as

it turned out to be the huge gas main just above Keynsham station

that fed Fry's of Somerdale factory that was leaking.

They were working on it for weeks.

Quote " the engineer said the gas bottle itself had a very slight leak on it. He explained its not unusual and there was nothing to worry about as it was so minimal the gas level could never be high enough to cause a fire as the locker is vented and fine to use"

First of all DO NOT Use the cylinder,,take it to a Calor dealer and get a replacement, which should be free as there is a fault with the valve.

It is true that leaking valves are not uncommon as they are only changed when a fault is reported or when the cylinder goes for pressure testing, which is once every 10 years.

Second: Find a new engineer as a matter of urgency, the one who told you what he did should NEVER be allowed near a caravan, or anything else, again.

​When LPG changes from liquid to gas it expands 420 times, so you can NEVER ignore even the smallest leak.

LPG is a "seeking" gas which is always trying to find its way out of its container which is why it is so important to ensure all your connections and pipework are in the best condition.

Edited by Brecon

Hey that's Horace Batchelor territory isn't it!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I had a bottle leaking last year, I fitted one of these, no more bottle leaks and can check the whole gas system for leaks

http://www. gaslowdirect. com/epages/cyujrhdmmu67. sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/cyujrhdmmu67/Products/01-1610

Edited by solarpower

I had a bottle leaking last year, I fitted one of these, no more bottle leaks and can check the whole gas system for leaks

http://www. gaslowdirect. com/epages/cyujrhdmmu67. sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/cyujrhdmmu67/Products/01-1610

It doesn't stop a gas bottle leaking either from around the valve seat or from a perforation of the cylinder. .

Also if the on/off valve passes gas when closed it is not a way of checking for leaks as the gas passing the valve can be equal to the gas leaking out.

This is why a gas engineer will first test the on/off valve for passing gas and then once satisfied it is not, he will then test the system for soundness.

I agree that the cylinder needs to be replaced but think carefully how you transport it. The caravan has a well ventilated locker but you car does not.

Tom if you turn on the gas and put some soapy water around the pipe connection you may see some bubbles, thats how I found my leak. I disconnected the pipe and checked and wiped the joints, refitted and checked ok, the Gaslow fitting has a soft nose and only needs to be hand tight and no spanner needed.

I am not saying not to get it checked but the pipe connection is the most likely as it is a brass to brass tapered joint and I had many of these leak on oxygen, acetylene and propane bottles during my working life.

Tom if you turn on the gas and put some soapy water around the pipe connection you may see some bubbles, thats how I found my leak. I disconnected the pipe and checked and wiped the joints, refitted and checked ok, the Gaslow fitting has a soft nose and only needs to be hand tight and no spanner needed.

I am not saying not to get it checked but the pipe connection is the most likely as it is a brass to brass tapered joint and I had many of these leak on oxygen, acetylene and propane bottles during my working life.

The op states the gas bottle itself is leaking not the connector.

In the days when I still used the butane snap-on type of connector I actually had the connector shoot off! Turned out the (new!) bottle spigot was under-sized. I also had a bottle that leaked from around the valve treads & a (new again!) regulator that had a crack in it. So much for health & safety regs. Take nothing for granted it's potentially your life at stake.

As a PS it is worth mentioning looking for gas leaks should only be done with a proper gas leak detection spray.

Soapy water can leave a flamible residue which is why professional gas engineers don't use it. (or rather shouldn't!). A miniscule risk perhaps but it doesn't cost a lot to keep one in the tool box.

http://www. screwfix. com/p/arctic-products-gas-leak-detector-spray-250ml/95781

Thanks everyone, will take it back and see if I can get the FOC replacement. It is a standard bottle not the light version.

As its a problem with the bottle its most probably been leaking since we go it around 9 months ago and he only noticed because he was looking for it. I understand the reaction about the engineer but with gas bottles tested so infrequently its probably something that happens a lot more often than you would care to think.

Unless I've missed something the precise description of the leak hasn't been given. It may be leaking at the conical connection, in which case it will only leak when the valve is open, and the leak may even be cured by re settling the hose connection. The leak may be caused by a damaged cone on the hose connection - or o' ring. It may be leaking at the joint between the canister and the valve in which case it will always leak and should be returned.

I had a leak once at the fitting a quick clean of the bottle female fitting sorted it as there was something interfering with the pigtail fitting.

I had a leaking Calor cylinder a couple of years ago. The dealer would not take it back for a "refund" but swapped it at normal rates. I had to contact Calor with a form that the dealer gave me.

If you have an actual Calor depot nearer, it might be easier.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Unless I've missed something the precise description of the leak hasn't been given. It may be leaking at the conical connection, in which case it will only leak when the valve is open, and the leak may even be cured by re settling the hose connection. The leak may be caused by a damaged cone on the hose connection - or o' ring. It may be leaking at the joint between the canister and the valve in which case it will always leak and should be returned.

Quite so Ern.

The metal-to-metal seal is, at best, not totally reliable in real world use as it is too prone to dirt contamination & abuse. At the very least the surfaces should be cleaned prior to use, but how many people do this? Without being told to I doubt it would, quite understandably, even occur to most people. We aren’t born with the necessary knowledge, after all, LOL.

That is why I use pigtails with a neoprene male seal, though I still make sure they are clean. The added advantage with them is there is no need for a spanner as finger tight provides a good seal.

I always crack the valve open to remove any debris before fitting the gauge, I've only had one that leaked and that was an incompatibility issue with the gauge, I fitted my spare gauge and it cured it :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I had my caravan checked for a gas leak, I could smell gas

and even leaving the locker door open did not seem to

diminish the smell. I changed the pigtail for a stainless one

the smell still persisted I had it checked for leakage, none that

registered. Could it be possible that the regulator diphragm leaks?