New Electric Meters, Erratic Readings?

At 13. 38pm today we had used 3. 8 kw of electricity.

By 18. 00pm the meter had went to 67. 28 kw.

No heating,(15 C outside temp) fridge on, kettle boiled twice and 10 minutes of hoovering.

Does anyone think this consumption is possible?

We have just done November to March in the same van on a different site with a total cost of £14 for electricity.

Anyone came across meter accuracy issues before?

The meters are DDS53

http://electricmeters. co. uk/portfolio/single-phase-din-rail-1-module-meter/

These meters are brand new,can they be calibrated?

On our winter pitch with everything on full, we averaged 7 kw per weekend.

Confused!!

No heating,(15 C outside temp) fridge on, kettle boiled twice and 10 minutes of hoovering.

We have just done November to March in the same van on a different site with a total cost of £14 for electricity.

The meters are DDS53

Confused!!

Note: it is not kW but kWh you are charged for, the quantity of power [ energy] not level of power.

Well,that's 7 kWh over a weekend with everything on full simply does not stack up. Even if the heater is using just 1 kW of the available 3. 68 kW from a 16 A supply, it only needs to be on 7 hours of the 48, ie one 7th of the time.

There is the potential with everything on full of using 177 kWh, which if charged at only 12. 5 p/kWh would rack up £22.

You simply can't use 63. 5 kWh [67. 28- 3. 8] in 4. 62 hour on a 16 A supply, only 17 kWh. So the meter or meter reader is misreading.

If the site owners argue in anyway report immediately to Trading Standards.

Edited by JTQ

I agree with JTQ.

7kWh over a winter weekend is very frugal use of electricity indeed. There must be an error somewhere.

Also to use 63. 5kWh between 1338Hrs and 1800Hrs is extreme.

Something's amiss here, maybe the meter or maybe your readings.

Paul

We don't trust metres,and are holding off fitting one at home until we are forced to, that day will come whether we like it or not

The meters are DDS53

Confused!!

I would find out now if there is an issue as said it sounds a lot . Could it be 6. 728 ?

New Meters can be wrong . Sister had a new smart meter fitted and after a year they noticed their billing and use had quadrupled . When they started checking their use they found their was no way the reading was right and had a electrician check the wiring . The electric company sent in their men and they said the meter would be checked and replaced it with a new one and they got a about £1000 cheque back .

Dave

Thanks for your replies, especially your highly detailed explanation JTQ.

PaulJohn there may be erratic meter readings from me, which could explain it. .................but I can't really see any other way to read them.

The "everything on" term I used is not exactly scientific more of a generic term meaning we weren't freezing in the van! ;)

I have attached the readings.

post-52274-0-45267400-1490603462_thumb.jpg

post-52274-0-25905800-1490603494_thumb.jpg

We had similar on a site in Wales. During the day consumption was minimal but over night our consumption trebled although heating, fridge etc was on gas. I challenged the owner about it and was told that the meters had been calibrated the wee before however he was quick to offer a refund which made me suspicious. Never been back there.

Yes, meters can be wrong. I've had a year long battle to get my work meter replaced and the over charging repaid. - nearly there, just awaiting the cash!

It all started in April 2013 when a new meter was installed.

I use around 90% of my electricity on the night rate, but the meter was set some 6 hours slow, which meant that during the night I was mostly being charged at the day rate and during the working day, (rarely start before 14. 00) I was still mostly being charged day rate

I didn't notice the timing being wrong for 3 years, only that the bills were higher.

In the six months it took to get the meter checked / changed, it mysteriously died and had no display, and did not have any indication that it was recording anything, so nothing could be checked.

Now 5 months after finally getting a new meter, my usage has been recorded 2454 kWh night rate & 292 kWh day rate, so now they are working back through the total readings that they have, to apportion the readings and make the adjustments accordingly.

The Ombudsman service were the ones who got the electricity company to actually do anything - so all thanks to them.

Thanks for your replies, especially your highly detailed explanation JTQ.

PaulJohn there may be erratic meter readings from me, which could explain it. .................but I can't really see any other way to read them.

The "everything on" term I used is not exactly scientific more of a generic term meaning we weren't freezing in the van! ;)

I have attached the readings.

The difference between the 2 readings is 63. 6Kwh. In order to consume this in 4. 5 hrs you would have used 14Kw per hour! That's a physical impossiblity without melting the supply cable as the Amperage would have been well over 60Amps! Have a polite word with the site operator, and if they don't agree to get it sorted immediately, report them to Trading Standards.

A hint of a practice I use is to digitally photograph the meter readings at least at the start and finish.

If no more it saves my knees and I have a timed and dated record readily available.

With the older coin operated meters it also records how they have the "rate setting" pins positioned, which might be damning evidence if needed.

Edited by JTQ

Yes, meters can be wrong. I've had a year long battle to get my work meter replaced and the over charging repaid. - nearly there, just awaiting the cash!

It all started in April 2013 when a new meter was installed.

I use around 90% of my electricity on the night rate, but the meter was set some 6 hours slow, which meant that during the night I was mostly being charged at the day rate and during the working day, (rarely start before 14. 00) I was still mostly being charged day rate

I didn't notice the timing being wrong for 3 years, only that the bills were higher.

In the six months it took to get the meter checked / changed, it mysteriously died and had no display, and did not have any indication that it was recording anything, so nothing could be checked.

Now 5 months after finally getting a new meter, my usage has been recorded 2454 kWh night rate & 292 kWh day rate, so now they are working back through the total readings that they have, to apportion the readings and make the adjustments accordingly.

The Ombudsman service were the ones who got the electricity company to actually do anything - so all thanks to them.

That's what my sister was told by the guy that changed it in that as soon as the meter was disconnected it lost its reading and they gave her a refund based on her previous consumption using her previous bills but it took about 6 months of argument to get it sorted that they had been overcharged .

Edited by CommanderDave

Because we frequently used sites with metered electricity in Spain (3 months @ high price) i fitted an Ampy meter in our caravan. It keeps a permanent display when disconnected. I kept a little log sheet next to it and monitored our consumption at all times. I was never once asked for the wrong amount. These Ampy meters are available and cheap to buy on tinternet.

• 3 weeks later...

The initial 63kwh has been written off by the site. The contractor who did the refit admitted it was impossible, and they had never seen it before.

The consumption has settled down a bit but still seems on the high side to me.

I have been supplied an Owl to cross ref meter readings, and offered a new meter or connection to a different post.

Allegedly the site is now 16 Amp the same as our winter site,but the kettle and heater on together still trip the supply.

Unlike the 16 Amp on our winter supply.

Still confused!😐

If the kettle is a standard 3kW kettle then it will draw 12 Amps. So the heater drawing more than 4 amps is bound to trip the MCB.

What power is the kettle and the heater? It is why we use gas to heat the kettle.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Allegedly the site is now 16 Amp the same as our winter site,but the kettle and heater on together still trip the supply.

Unlike the 16 Amp on our winter supply.

Still confused!

That depending on what the Wattage of the kettle and what the heating was set to, can very easily be done, on a 16 Amp EHU.

The 16 Amps at typically a mains voltage of 230, get you 3. 68 kW.

A domestic market kettle can be up to 3kW and the heating can be up to 3 kW.

Then there will be other loads depending on the kit fitted to the van, fridge, inbuilt charger, possibly a separate water heater and maybe a TV was on.

Don't forget in your calculations that in most cases it is 240V in the UK and 220V in Europe - 230V is the homologated figure and the permitted tolerances on that figure cover both 240V and 220V with ease.

I would like to see a 3KW kettle. If you look you will find there are few if any above 2200W, probably due to some arcane EU regulation like the one that said you could not have a vac of more than 1600W which IMSMC is now 900W maximum.

I would like to see a 3KW kettle. If you look you will find there are few if any above 2200W, probably due to some arcane EU regulation like the one that said you could not have a vac of more than 1600W which IMSMC is now 900W maximum.

https://www. pattersons. co. uk/product/HI-00001-Russell-Hobbs-Orleans-Kettle-1. 7ltr?vat=1&gclid=CNfYmLb1oNMCFcwK0wodqaYMLA

https://www. pattersons. co. uk/product/HI-00001-Russell-Hobbs-Orleans-Kettle-1. 7ltr?vat=1&gclid=CNfYmLb1oNMCFcwK0wodqaYMLA

As well as the two in our home though the caravan's is a French 1. 3 Watt unit.

Edited by JTQ

• 4 years later...

Around a year ago, I had smart meters installed but the Gas one never connected with EDF (no longer with them) who, despite prompting, appeared to do nothing to rectify situation.  Eventually, I got them to send me the display which connected immediately to the electricity meter but not to the gas.  I had always assumed that because the gas meter is underneath an old 'cold slab' in what was a pantry, it was just a comms issue but wherever I place the display it will not connect.  

Does that mean the the gas meter itself must be faulty please?

From the original query, is it possible that the two readings are from different charging rates, i.e. daytime full rate and night-time economy and the meter has switched or been switched between the two?

1 hour ago, Woodentop said:

From the original query, is it possible that the two readings are from different charging rates, i.e. daytime full rate and night-time economy and the meter has switched or been switched between the two?

Thanks for reply but I don't understand it!  I don't have night time economy.

I have an old EDF smart meter which still connects to gas and electric meters after 2 changes of supplier. Although it shows meter readings it doesn't broadcast the readings to the supplier, I have to go online and do it. It may be that your gas meter is faulty, as you suspect.