Dealer Damage

Alinoakes

We had some minor damp repairs done on the bathroom window seal under warranty by our dealer a few weeks ago. We collected the van and went away for the weekend. We set up the van then went to the pub for a few hours. When we got back there was water EVERYWHERE! The aquaroll was empty so 40 litres of water had leaked from the bathroom and across the van floor.

We returned the van the next day and they were full of apologies and said they'd investigate. Apparently one of the pipes had been cut during the warranty repairs. They've been drying the van out all week and say they've now got the damp down to 9%. But to us we're not going to have 'worry-free' caravanning as we're always going to be wondering whether there is more significant damage.

Do we have any recourse? Can we ask for a replacement van of the same value? I know 9% is insignificant but that's 9% today. ..who knows what damage has been done?

Any advice on how we manage this situation?

I wouldn't think that an aquaroll full of water would be sufficient to cause lasting damage if the van has been dried out as you say, and certainly not as much of an issue as your original damp repair.

Its highly likely that damp readings would have been 9% or higher beforehand.

Its not unusual for damp readings of 12-15% when annual services are carried out, and many manufacturers (Swift particularly) will not entertain warranty work for damp unless readings exceed 25%.

Personally, I would not be thinking in terms of any problems arising from it, but I would insist on further damp tests (free of charge) in, say 3 months and 6 months time, just for peace of mind.

If any of your belongings were affected by the "flood", that should also be addressed.

Edited by hp100425ev

The thing that I would be most concerned about would be damage to the plastic veneered wood units.

This water leakage is one reason why I try to remember to turn off the water pump when I go out for the day.

Edited by Easy T

We had some minor damp repairs done on the bathroom window seal under warranty by our dealer a few weeks ago. We collected the van and went away for the weekend. We set up the van then went to the pub for a few hours. When we got back there was water EVERYWHERE! The aquaroll was empty so 40 litres of water had leaked from the bathroom and across the van floor.

We returned the van the next day and they were full of apologies and said they'd investigate. Apparently one of the pipes had been cut during the warranty repairs. They've been drying the van out all week and say they've now got the damp down to 9%. But to us we're not going to have 'worry-free' caravanning as we're always going to be wondering whether there is more significant damage.

Do we have any recourse? Can we ask for a replacement van of the same value? I know 9% is insignificant but that's 9% today. ..who knows what damage has been done?

Any advice on how we manage this situation?

Edited: They've contacted us again and are concerned as damp is reading 27% today. So confused now :-/

As water is absorbed into the floor edges of various units

it can cause the laminate to expand and "bloat"

As water is absorbed into the floor edges of various units

it can cause the laminate to expand and "bloat"

This is what happened with us on a previous caravan in about 2006 even though we were able to dry out the caravan quite quickly as we were in it when it sprang a leak.

This water leakage is one reason why I try to remember to turn off the water pump when I go out for the day.

Yes, we do that too - just reach up and press the button over the door as we go out.

John

Yes, we do that too - just reach up and press the button over the door as we go out.

John

We try and remember, but forget on occasions. Luckily our water pump shuts down once the barrel is empty however by that time we have 80 litres of water in the caravan which is one disadvantage with an onboard tank

Thanks everyone. So, we've learnt to turn the water off when we leave the van. Not something we've thought of before, but we live and learn. They're now reporting 29% damp so we'll go in tomorrow and have a chat with them about our options, such as replacement van or repair and extra warranty.

Following a flood like this I would insist on a full independent examination before making any decision. It is impossible to dry out a floor, for example, if it is covered with lino as I suspect yours is, without lifting the lino. Water will almost certainly have traveled between the two.

If the furniture is immersed in it for long enough then it will have absorbed some as well. Some types of strata can take that and be dried out with little if any damage. Many can not and will slowly swell over a period of time. Some glues will be fine forever, but once the wood they are sticking gets wet then they loose most if not all their strength.

Then you have the wiring and things like hidden areas where you simply cannot do a decent check without stripping the van down. Places like under the shower tray and the Toilet pedestal, any wet locker trays etc.

This is one for proper investigation and whilst it may look fine now, a few years down the line it could come back to bite the owner.

The dealer has a 'duty of care' and should put things right in a manner that does not disadvantage you in any way. I will be very surprised if they do not have insurance to cover accidental damage to customers vans. they certainly should have. Get an independent assessment made by a qualified engineer of your choosing is the way to go. Unless they just hold up their hands and replace your van to your satisfaction. Whatever you do keep a diary of conversations etc.

Insist that any verbal promises are made in writing - I do

That's good news and a good dealer giving good customer service.

We read here so often of problems going on and on.

Can I be a bit nosy was the orginal caravan new or second hand and is the Coachman same make and model?

Coincidence. Just read this after posting a similar post.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/121662-disappointed/

So this has made interesting reading indeed. Hope my dealer does not give me problems on Monday. And hope OP gets a satisfactory result.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

That's good news and a good dealer giving good customer service.

We read here so often of problems going on and on.

Can I be a bit nosy was the orginal caravan new or second hand and is the Coachman same make and model?

Thanks David. The original van was second hand, purchased from the same dealer and the Coachman is also second hand with one previous owner. Not had a Coachman before. We knew as soon as we saw our van that we needed out and they were really understanding. They've handled it really well. I don't think either side gained or lost. It's just one of those things.

Coincidence. Just read this after posting a similar post.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/121662-disappointed/

So this has made interesting reading indeed. Hope my dealer does not give me problems on Monday. And hope OP gets a satisfactory result.

John

Sorry to hear this John. You need to think about what damage has been done as a result of this and whether this impacts on your caravan experience. make a note of every conversation and have photos etc. If you're a member of caravan club you can phone their advice line. Make a note of expenses incurred such as lost time without the van and time spent trying to fix problems. Above all try to be reasonable. They are far more likely to listen and compromise if you've thought of reasonable solutions first.

Good luck!

Thanks David. The original van was second hand, purchased from the same dealer and the Coachman is also second hand with one previous owner. Not had a Coachman before. We knew as soon as we saw our van that we needed out and they were really understanding. They've handled it really well. I don't think either side gained or lost. It's just one of those things.

You are allowed to name and praise you know.