Awning Pegs

joanie

I know that this has been discussed before, but it is getting now nigh on impossible to get the peg into the hardstand. I have e-mailed the CC about this, I expect a reply in about a month. I know that we can use drills and marquis pegs but it wasn't always like this. My OH thinks that the pitches need a couple of layers of topping as he thinks that we are now down to the base material. We had to buy some more pegs as a lot of ours bent trying to get them in. I know the answer will be "sorry to hear this" and that will be the end of it, but if you feel as strongly as I do, please let the CC know. I did a live chat to them and a grass pitch was suggested, like I told the person, not at this time of year.

It's great having an air awning, takes no time at all to get up, all the time is wasted on pegging it down.

Edited by joanie

I have always carried 2 sets of pegs. Red plastic pegs typically supplied by Isabella, but also available elsewhere - good for soil or softer ground, they grip well. Also a set of toughened steel 25cm rock pegs with green replaceable plastic heads - will go into just about anything including tarmac on one occasion, but not solid concrete - will definately go into any compacted hardcore like on CC sites. These have to be thumped in with a heavy hammer and come out by twisting with a pair of grips. On loose hardcore I sometimes use a rock peg to make a hole first, then knock a plastic one in its place.

+1. Strong pegs and a big hammer!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

These have to be thumped in with a heavy hammer and come out by twisting with a pair of grips.

Agree. I find a 4lb club hammer sorts most problems in life! Best accessory purchase of the lot.

I know that this has been discussed before, but it is getting now nigh on impossible to get the peg into the hardstand. I have e-mailed the CC about this, I expect a reply in about a month. I know that we can use drills and marquis pegs but it wasn't always like this. My OH thinks that the pitches need a couple of layers of topping as he thinks that we are now down to the base material. We had to buy some more pegs as a lot of ours bent trying to get them in. I know the answer will be "sorry to hear this" and that will be the end of it, but if you feel as strongly as I do, please let the CC know. I did a live chat to them and a grass pitch was suggested, like I told the person, not at this time of year.

It's great having an air awning, takes no time at all to get up, all the time is wasted on pegging it down.

On two different occasions I have complained to the CC about this as sometimes even good quality rock pegs bend. On one occasion I used a 550w hammer drill with a masonry bit on a hard standing at Malvern and even that had difficulty penetrating the hard standing. We now mainly use screw pegs which seem to work a bit better. The pitches are compacted rock hard!

Went on one CC site on the east coast. The hardstanding was basically rocks. I was told by the warden to highlight this for site feedback because he personally couldn't get anywhere with HQ.

Agree. I find a 4lb club hammer sorts most problems in life! Best accessory purchase of the lot.

Agree. My lump hammer is the undefeated heavy weight champion of the world. The biggest issue I have had is getting the blighters out!

Agree. My lump hammer is the undefeated heavy weight champion of the world. The biggest issue I have had is getting the blighters out!

A lump hammer to bash them in and a claw hammer to lever them out.

The biggest problem I have is pegging the skirt down, it's OK on grass the plastic ground sheet pegs work, but for hard standings I use 125 mil nails. I have some nylon bar in the workshop and keep meaning to turn some caps to fit the nails so they don't mark the skirt. Don't say the skirt doesn't need fixed, I was once sitting at the table reading the paper and a gust of wind blow up my skirt, lifted the ground sheet complete with table and dumped a cup of coffee in my lap.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

I use 20oz Steelmaster Claw Hammer and the rock pegs I've had for at least 10 years. Claw on hammer helps when pulling pegs out.

Freelander 2 closely followed by a Golden Retriever and a 2012 Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

At Henley four oaks CMC site last weekend, many of the pitches looked as though they had been rotovated over the winter. Maybe to soften them.

I use a lump hammer to put them in, and to get them out I twist them with a pair of Mole grips and they then slide out easily!

I use 20oz Steelmaster Claw Hammer and the rock pegs I've had for at least 10 years. Claw on hammer helps when pulling pegs out.

Please use a clear font as I cannot read your post! (Now fixed by Mod no. 9)

Thanks

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

I use a biggish claw hammer, the claw part is ground out to fit the pegs, I also carry plastic and rock pegs.

Speaking of which I need some more rock pegs as they're also good for nailing sleepers together, daughters gardening project :rolleyes:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

A lump hammer to bash them in and a claw hammer to lever them out.

The biggest problem I have is pegging the skirt down, it's OK on grass the plastic ground sheet pegs work, but for hard standings I use 125 mil nails. I have some nylon bar in the workshop and keep meaning to turn some caps to fit the nails so they don't mark the skirt. Don't say the skirt doesn't need fixed, I was once sitting at the table reading the paper and a gust of wind blow up my skirt, lifted the ground sheet complete with table and dumped a cup of coffee in my lap.

And showed all your washing. :D

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

I had a bloke moaning about pegs on a hardstanding, he had

the same blue diamond pegs as I used. The difference was I

used a 1kg. lump hammer and he was trying to use a rubber mallet!

And showed all your washing. :D

You pipped me to the post. I was going to say that I haven't had a gust up my skirt for a while now. Ah well.

Either way none of us should have to resort to having to use a lump hammer to peg down the awning! BTW is there such a thing as a nail with a wide head that can hold the skirts in place? On our screw pegs we have a rubber washer and would like to be able to use similar rubber washer to peg down the skirts which is why a nail with a wide head would be nice. Can't use the screw pegs as they are just that little bit too wide plus if it catches the awning skirt it may twist and rip the skirt.

For the skirt I use 3" masonary nails on hardstanding, which have a flat head just big enough not to go through the eyelet hole.

On grass I use some 3" mud-wall pegs which I bought about 20 years ago, but you don't see in the shops now.

I never use those plastic mushroom pegs as they nearly always get stuck in the eyelet hole!

John

Edit - they are still available on here.

Edited by Johnaldo

The ground sheet pegs are good on grass and don't get stuck in the hole on my Isabella's.

Those metal pegs would be a real pain trying to hammer them into a hard standing, they will be made of a soft steel and are only 4mm dia.

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Just ordered off eBay some 100mm clout nails. Hopefully they will be okay for the awning skirt etc.

we do have rock pegs, screw pegs and plastic pegs, we started out a few years ago with the rubber mallet, then the claw hammer and now the lump hammer. The rock pegs were bending and we had to buy some more. On grass we take about 20 min. from start to finish, but on a hardstanding it is always at least an hour. It was not always like this, the hardstandings need re- dressing.

The only hard standing I had problems with, had concrete wheel pads

underneath the gravel. Most of the time "hardstandings" appear to

have power station ash instead of hardcore with a dressing of gravel

and the pegs came out as easily as they went in.

The last hard standing we were on was constructed with a really course sub base. The pegs just had nothing to bite in to. 😖

Phil.

We frequently go to Brighton CMC Site, the hardstanding pitches are now like concrete. I've always used a lump hammer even since my camping days on grass. We have a selection of rock pegs but at least 10 of them are severely bent (job for this weekend to straighten them out), from our recent trip last month. It's a common problem on this site, but little or no attention to rejuvenating the gravel on the pitches seems to be occurring. Here's hoping Putts Corner CMC Site will have 'softer' hardstanding pitches for our Easter break!

I got a real fright at one hard standing at CC Sandringham. I was knocking pegs in with a claw hammer until I got to one that just wouldn't go in, so I went to the bag and got out the heavy lump hammer. At the instant that I gave the peg an almighty bash the site electrics went out. A moment of shear panic until I thought, don't be stupid they wouldn't put electric cables under a hard standing. Would they?

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Clout nails arrived yesterday. Nice large heads and with the rubber washers so they should hold down the skirts adequately on a hard standing. We will keep the plastic mushroom pegs for when we are on grass.