Which Is The Best Route From Italy Through Switzerland And France

We are towing a Adria caravan and would like to know which is the better route from Italy whether to go via the Simplon Pass and would like to know what the cost would be to drive and also the cost of putting the vehicles on the train or whether to drive through Frejus or Mont Blanc tunnels again the cost, we will be travelling first week or two of April. Would love to hear of fellow travelers experience of all three

It's quite a lot of years since I went that way but one of my routes took us from Calais down through Luxembourg to Metz, Nancy, Epinal, Mulhouse and then to Basel. From there we used the A2 motorway through the Gotthard Tunnel and the A9 to Milan. From there we went across to Venice or through Florence and down to Rome and Pompeii.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

As far as toll costs go. ...Crossing Switzerland via the Simpson pass or the St Gotthard tunnel with a car and caravan will cost 75 euros for two vignettes, but those vignettes (permits) are valid for a full calendar year. From the Swiss border at Basel you can get back to Calais toll free on the route Jaydug has outlined.

Using the Mont Blanc or Frejus tunnels into France costs about 58 euros just for a single journey, and then you have expensive French motorway tolls ahead of you.

The cheapest route is via the Brenner Pass motorway and across Austria for about 17 euros and home toll free across Germany.

There are no car carrying trains on those routes.

Edited by moorgate

The routes into Italy from France always seem more expensive.

We have used the route Jaydug mentioned several times. ..always dislike the drag around Milan though!

Have used the Austrian route mentioned by Moorgate and find it a nicer route . ..cheaper? Maybe. Whilst I agree with the vignette costs, you actually travel quite a few extra miles, which may or may not be significant in your costings/timings.

May I make a correction to my own earlier post. There are trains carrying cars from Brig to Iselle as an alternative to the Simplon Pass . The one way fare for a car and caravan is about 40 euros, but one would still need Swiss vignettes as well. Sorry for my mistake.

We have used a variety of routes including the two tunnels and the Simplon pass when the Gotthard was closed.

The route via Switzerland is better value than the tunnels but the best route we have done is via Germany, into Austria on the Fern Pass then through Landeck and into Italy on the Reisa Pass.

This only involves tolls from Bolzano down to Garda, where we stayed, but of course the route will depend a lot on your start and finish points which I don't know.

Would have used the route that moorgate has mentioned but our travel companions had a large MH and did n ot want to have to use a GoBox in Austria.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for all your comments we found out that the Simplon Pass is free but once you drive into Switzerland the vignette was 40 euros for the car and 40 euros for caravan which as we were just travelling through decided against it. We went via the Frejus Tunnel as there seems to be more hold ups with Monte Blanc Tunnel, the cost difference was negligible which was just over 58 euros, a lovely drive with car and caravan with spectacular scenery

• Like 1

The cheapest route is via the Brenner Pass motorway and across Austria for about 17 euros and home toll free across Germany.

There are no car carrying trains on those routes.

Long time since I towed that very route, both ways. Two week old VW Jetta towing Dethleff Nomad and broke down at the Brenner Pass toll!

post-81729-0-45114100-1493399132_thumb.jpg

Hope you have a good trip.

BMW X5 3. 0d Sport + Coachman Wanderer 19/4

As You Were!

Many thanks for all your comments we found out that the Simplon Pass is free but once you drive into Switzerland the vignette was 40 euros for the car and 40 euros for caravan which as we were just travelling through decided against it. We went via the Frejus Tunnel as there seems to be more hold ups with Monte Blanc Tunnel, the cost difference was negligible which was just over 58 euros, a lovely drive with car and caravan with spectacular scenery

We use the Simplon a lot with the motorhome. In your experience as a caravanner, how would you rate it on towing?

In terms of the passes we use, it is the easiest, but different for a caravanner?

Incidentally, we overnight at the top in one of the hotel or the Hospiz car parks.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

• 1 year later...

Hi. Does anyone know if the route through the Gotthard tunnel involve towing the caravan up steep mountains? 

We are travelling from Black Forrest Germany to Basel then to Milan Italy and from there to Sicily. I have never done that route before and I am worried that I might get in trouble with towing the caravan if this route involves steep hills.  Any advice is very welcome.

Elaina

It isn't flat,  because even the tunnel is more than 1000 metres above sea level,  but it's motorway all the way and a lot gentler than the mountain passes.  No hairpin bends ! 

Edited by moorgate