Sign in to follow this  
louisa1983

Packing A Caravan

Hi guys just wondering how everyone packs their caravan as going away on our first trip soon and there is 5 of us. Just looking for tips! Thanks

Keep the weight low. Very little in the top lockers and certainly nothing which might make a bid for freedom, falling out and damaging work surfaces etc. You may need to move weight forwards or backwards in the 'van to achieve the desired nose weight at the hitch - in your case about 70 / 80kg check!

Enjoy your trip.

John. :)

If the microwave is in an upper cabinet, take the glass plate out, wrap it in a towel and leave it on a seat.

• Like 1

Make sure tha stuff can't slide or move around. We dont travel with stuff like tins, jars or bottles in the top lockers, they go in a crate either in a bed locker or in the car. Anything that can fall out, get damaged or can act like a missile in heavy braking should be in cupboards or crates.

As said above, heavy stuff, even crockery will go right through the worktops if it falls out - they aren't as solid as they look. So be careful when you open them when you arrive on site - we just avoided a disaster last year when a couple of plates fell out, fortunaely one on top of the other - one smashed but the one that fell edge on would have caused a lot of damage if it hadn't hit the other one first.

If you fill the fridge, make sure that the door is latched shut and that stuff in there is secure and can't move around- yoghurt, milk or other liquid stuff makes a real mess if it escapes. It's bad enough in the fridge but really horrible if it gets all over the carpets or upholstery.

Edited by matelodave

If the microwave is in an upper cabinet, take the glass plate out, wrap it in a towel and leave it on a seat.

Must say we have never had a microwave door come open and plate fall out.

Nowadays though, we always retain the polystyrene packing that was in the microwave when the van was new, and stick that back in for travelling. Holds the plate with no problem.

• Like 1

Over the years, we have done about everything you shouldn't. Driving with a full on board tank of water, clothes hanging in the wardrobes, too much weight at the rear of the van etc etc, but not once have I had any issues, the only time I have was with an empty van and almost turned it and the car over, as the Americans say go figure :D :D

• Like 1

Invest in some big plastic laundry bags for clothing, towels, waterproof clothing and footwear.

These bags can then be used as moveable weights to fine tune your nose weight without fear of them doing any damage to anything if they move during your journey.

This will also have the effect of lowering the centre of gravity of your caravan payload if they are placed on the van floor.

In addition to the excellent advice above, I reckon you place the heaviest items right over the axle or as near as poss. Then load fore and aft to achieve your hitch weight. Under NO circumstances should you carry heavy items at rear of van---keep rear as light as possible. Keep CoG as low as practical. Ensure all doors are properly secured.

Because of our rig, we tend to load the car as heavy as possible and have the van as light as possible.

You then get approx. 2 miles down the road before you remember all the essentials you forgot to load. LOL.

• Like 1

No powders in the top lockers :D

When you have finished look at your outfit, if it looks right you should have nailed it.

Don't forget the tyre pressures on the caravan and max load pressures on the tow vehicle

along with the nose weight.

Hi guys just wondering how everyone packs their caravan as going away on our first trip soon and there is 5 of us. Just looking for tips! Thanks

Without overloading, put as much of the heavy stuff in the car - as there's 5 of you, that'll be very restrictive.

We started caravanning, 3 of us in a 5-berth - when I check-weighed everything we were about 100kg over! Then 2 of us in a 2-berth enabled the car to be loaded so the caravan wasn't.

If you acually weighed everything that goes in you'd probably be shocked!

More or less leave everything in situ but pack cupboards with scatter cushions and pillows thus acting as padding holding everything in place. Have two plastic open containers that fold up when emptied. Hold Ornaments and nick backs in them under the front seats with bedding. Clothes, golf clubs and bike in ma Tug. TV and Media player with Laptop wrapped up in a couple of sleeping bags for safety and security. Usually buy food and booze when away. Roughly worked it out having a light weight unit I'm towing at about 70% with the Merc. ....

We carry little in the van, couple of chairs, waste and water hogs plus the kitchen stuff. Minimum amount of food in the fridge, a few pots and pans under the cooker. Everything else goes into plastic crates in the car. Collapsible ones for clothes, shoes and enough food and drink to keep us going for the first 24 hours. Rigid, lidded boxes for all the caravan pitching stuff like pegs, mallet, toilet chemicals, hook up cable and water hoses and tap fittings. These boxes just go straight back into the garage again when we get home.

Before we changed our towing vehicle the awning went into the van between the axles on the floor but that too goes in the car now.

When we used to tour with three children we had to be really careful what we let them take, left to their own devices we would have been well over our MTPLM weight. Using the crates sets a limit.

Carry as much heavy stuff in the car as you can, otherwise try and keep weight low down and near the axle (not always possible, depends on your caravans design) and most importantly check your noseweight.

Best look at the car riding position with all those passengers

and a loaded caravan hitched up. You may have to limit

luggage, or something, per person to have a safe drive.

Looking at the outfit is a good indication, but if you have self-leveling suspension it will look level even if you put everything at the front.

When positioning crates on the floor in the caravan be sure they can't move about. We would always have 2 or 3 empty crates near the front to make sure that the loaded crates remaned over the axle.

Perhaps think about making a brief stop after a few miles to check nothing has moved about, also to do a quick check that wheels/brakes are OK (i. e. not hot)

This may be useful:-

gallery_6_1799_27497.jpg

gallery_6_1799_8566.jpg

• Like 2

I put the clothes that will end up in the wardrobe on hangers on the front seats until we arrive.

WEIGH, WEIGH and weigh again. With a family of five you will need/have a lot of stuff. It will be likely very easy to overload the car or the caravan or both!

I use a caravan weight control for the caravan, and with only two of us usually have a bit to spare. But food clothes and awning (if we take one) are in the car.

When we first started out with two kids, we took loads, bikes on a carrier on the car, awning in 'van with very little thought on weights. Never any problem, fortunately; but I hate to think, now, how close to being overloaded we must have been (if not actually overloaded).

Just a word of advise, DON'T place hard items in the shower on the tray as things bounce you my have a split shower tray.

we put the glass plate in the sink wrapped in a J cloth with the wash up bowl on top

• Like 1

WEIGH, WEIGH and weigh again. With a family of five you will need/have a lot of stuff. It will be likely very easy to overload the car or the caravan or both!

I use a caravan weight control for the caravan, and with only two of us usually have a bit to spare. But food clothes and awning (if we take one) are in the car.

When we first started out with two kids, we took loads, bikes on a carrier on the car, awning in 'van with very little thought on weights. Never any problem, fortunately; but I hate to think, now, how close to being overloaded we must have been (if not actually overloaded).

What I was going to post in the number of people going away it is easy to overload the caravan and car so you will need to keep an eye on items you carry in luggage . Five passengers and a nose weight will limit the allowance for kit in the car .

Dave

we put the glass plate in the sink wrapped in a J cloth with the wash up bowl on top

Leedslass wraps ours in bubble wrap and puts it in a drawer.

John. :)

Never even thought of wrapping the glass plate in the microwave, i thought there were toughened glass so would take a fair whack to break it.

I put all our glassware (except microwave plate) in a drawer and pack it with kitchen tea cloths.

i am not one for weighing things in and out the caravan but i do pack it properly with heavy items low down and as close to the axles as possible. If you do put stuff in high cupboards make sure they have proper lids and wont smash if the do make a bid for freedom. ....coffee granules are a nightmare to clean up without a proper hoover!!!