Germany Romantic Route Recommendations

Hello all, just wondered if the well travelled CT members have any recommendations for must see highlights along the Romantic Route.

Thought perhaps spend just a few days around this area.

Is the route mostly navigable towing with a 12m outfit, or is it best to travel and camp off route and tour with just the car, any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated, cheers, Paul.

Hi, I think you need to have a chat with snooks on here. Here is her informative web-site http://www. joysofeuropeancaravanning. co. uk/germanypage1. htm

Hope this helps you and good luck with your road trip.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Agree Snooks will be of great help. ..

Have done some of the route,Southern part,and didn't have any problems that I remember.

Have a look at this and you will see why it is Germanys most popular internal destination.

http://www. germany. travel/en/leisure-and-recreation/scenic-routes/romantic-road. html

enjoy

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

The Romantic route is a long route covering a large area. You will need more than a few days to do it justice. Prumtal and Rudesheim are nice places, both with good camp sites. Both sites named after the place. Both locations are good eating locations as Prumtal has an exceptional restaurant on site, and Rudesheim with its famous beer cellars and restaurants is within a short walk along the Rhine promenade. If you visit both you'll need a few days eating salads to get over it.

Ern

28 years I've lived in Germany, Romantic Route??? Never heard of it :o

I'm guessing by the recommendation for Prumtal & Rudesheim you mean the Rhine, Mosselle, areas?

I can certainly recommend Prumtal, excellent facilities.

You should be OK on most German 'B' Roads, they tend to be wider than their UK equivalents

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

Didn't think much of Wurzburg although the Residence was impressive. Fussen at the end of the route is a lovely town. We use it as a staging post for going over the Fern Pass into Austria but lots to see in the area.

It's a good few years since we did it, but I recall staying at a DCC camp at Dinkelsbuhl, another quaint town. We finished with a few days at Lechbruck, the site there was also run by the DCC but I think it's now commercial, it was close to Schloss Neuschwanstein and a good centre for other attractions on the Bavaria/Austria border. We also stayed on a site on the Neckerstrand opposite Heidelberg, where I recall watching several underpowered outfits burning their clutches on the exit slope!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

28 years I've lived in Germany, Romantic Route??? Never heard of it :o

I'm guessing by the recommendation for Prumtal & Rudesheim you mean the Rhine, Mosselle, areas?

I can certainly recommend Prumtal, excellent facilities.

You should be OK on most German 'B' Roads, they tend to be wider than their UK equivalents

You have never heard of the Romantische Straße?

Time to consult the atlas methinks.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Or to visit the clip I posted amigo!

rgds

geoff

If I were you I would go to the Black forest, And you can also "nip" over to the Alsass in France. ...

If I were you I would go to the Black forest, And you can also "nip" over to the Alsass in France. ...

Not quite what/where the OP wanted. ....the Romantic Route is just that. ..The Black Forest is just that,a forest albeit a nice one and Alsace is also very nice.

Think if I were going to Germany again ( and have been there often, even on a bike, since 1954 I too would like to do the whole of the 400 odd kms.)

geoff

Edited by shipbroker

The Romantic Road, (Romantichestrasse in German) is a wonderful trip which we have done a number of times over the last 35 years first with car and the last 13 years with the Caravan. There is much about it on my website as Doosan and Shipbroker mentioned on the first two posts of your Topic Lambo.

No Prumtal at Oberweis and Rudesheim on the Rhine are nowhere near the Romantichestrasse. Prumtal is an excellent Campsite en route down into Germany from the Channel Ports.

We did the trip last year staying at ACSI Camping Card Site Camping Frankenhohe . and toured from there in the car. It is situated near to Rothenburg, which I think is the most spectacular town on the road. .

My advice would be stick to the Main Roads and Autobahns going down and it you are wanting to do the whole route down to Fussen make other stops going South. Fussen is a lovely town near to Schwangau and a visit to the Neuschwanstein Castle there is a must.

If you would like more info just email me at dvphillips14@hotmail. com and I will send you more. there is too much to include on here.

Two Links here and here http://www. joysofeuropeancaravanning. co. uk/countryinfogermany. htm

snooks. .

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

Just got back home, gosh thanks everyone, loads of informative replies, will respond in more detail later, cheers, Paul.

No, never heard of it, why is it romantic?

I'm a Yorkshireman, we don't really 'do' romance :):):)

I'm a Yorkshireman, we don't really 'do' romance :):):)[/quote

Text deleted. (Rude)

Ern

We did the Romantic Rd last year - its mostly on the N25 south from Wurzburg. Like Snooks we stayed at Camping Frankenhohe at Schillingsfurst - from there we did Rothenburg ODT (spectacular) Dinkelsbuhl (nearly as good), and Nordlingen (very different but the bell tower has a fabulous view over the town).

We drove down to Augsburg on the N25 with a 12m outfit and had no problems at all - hardly any traffic - then over to Fussen on more minor roads to stay at TerrassenCamping am Richterbichl at Rottenbuch to see Ludwig's castles, monasteries, churches & Alps. We loved it.

You can get more info/see our pics in the link below, the section called Unicorn to Slovenia, pages 3-9

Follow the link to read of our travels with & without the caravan :- Blog

I'm a Yorkshireman, we don't really 'do' romance :):):)

My wife might take issue with that statement. ..after 40 years with this Tyke. ;) Edited by ericfield

My wife might take issue with that statement. ..after 40 years with this Tyke. ;)

Candlelit Yorkshire Puddings, moonlight walks with our Greyhound "Whippet? No, bought it :) "

Grimethorpe collery band playing in the background, spot of hare coursing, I'm all over that romance malarkey :)

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Candlelit Yorkshire Puddings, moonlight walks with our Greyhound "Whippet? No, bought it :) "

Grimethorpe collery band playing in the background, spot of hare coursing, I'm all over that romance malarkey :)

There you go.

Hi

We did it last February. Although in a motorhome and using the free/cheap stellplatz (like an aire) there are many campsites along the route.

I could waffle on for hours, but you might prefer this link to the blog with photo's, also a video

Hope that helps.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Thank you one and all, for your time, consideration and considerable knowledge.

Some excellent information here, along with some great links, what a brilliant bunch of folks, cheers, Paul.

ps. might even do Yorkshire another time, :D:D