Sign in to follow this  
tom_1989

Fixed Bunk Bed Layouts

HI Everyone.

Our caravan has just been serviced and basically confirmed what we thought. ...it is getting tired. We are in two minds whether to keep it and just run into the ground or sell it now while its still worth a few grand. Anyway we have been having a look online at a few vans and quite like the look of the Sprite Major 6 with the rear bunks and washroom.

We are a family of 4 with 2 young kids (5 and 3) and would like fixed bunks (or seating that can be used as fixed bunks) and importantly be able to close the kids area off at night. Our current van is a double dinnette layout but is a big twin axle we would like to go a bit smaller and find this layout in smaller vans feels too cramped.

Does anyone know of other manufacturers offering a similar layout to the Major 6 or possibly layouts we haven't considered but work well for with your young family.

Price wise limit is around 20k. Either brand new or only a year or so old. Weight wise around 1600kg mark, would go a bit heavier for twin axle but trying to move away from that size.

Our plan is once we have bought it to keep replacing every 3-5 years. ...please dont start a discussion about keeping vans for longer etc etc.

Many thanks in advance. Tom

Elddis Avante 576. ..fixed rear bunks + rear washroom + side dinette

Hi Tom,

I have a swift challenger sport 524 and it's a four birth, might suit your needs have a look.

Hope this helps

Trevor

Lunar Venus 590/6 is the same layout as the Sprite. We've an interest in fixed bunks because our dog has her bed on the bottom one of ours.

Hi Tom,

I have a swift challenger sport 524 and it's a four birth, might suit your needs have a look.

Hope this helps

Trevor

Thanks for the info but that design won't suit us as want to be able to properly shut the kids off down the other end while we stay up with a bottle of wine :)

I have a friend that does the same with his fixed bunks, he has the triple bunks and his two dogs sleep on the bottom one and kids on the top two. Works well as keeps them (dogs not kids) out the way when they are in the van.

Bailey palermo?

HI Everyone.

Our caravan has just been serviced and basically confirmed what we thought. ...it is getting tired. We are in two minds whether to keep it and just run into the ground or sell it now while its still worth a few grand. Anyway we have been having a look online at a few vans and quite like the look of the Sprite Major 6 with the rear bunks and washroom.

We are a family of 4 with 2 young kids (5 and 3) and would like fixed bunks (or seating that can be used as fixed bunks) and importantly be able to close the kids area off at night. Our current van is a double dinnette layout but is a big twin axle we would like to go a bit smaller and find this layout in smaller vans feels too cramped.

Does anyone know of other manufacturers offering a similar layout to the Major 6 or possibly layouts we haven't considered but work well for with your young family.

Price wise limit is around 20k. Either brand new or only a year or so old. Weight wise around 1600kg mark, would go a bit heavier for twin axle but trying to move away from that size.

Our plan is once we have bought it to keep replacing every 3-5 years. ...please dont start a discussion about keeping vans for longer etc etc.

Many thanks in advance. Tom

Hi Tom we have a 2014 Adria 542DK Sportline. The base model of this is Altea Severn. It has twin bunks that are full size and opposite that a dinette that also coverts to two bunks if needed.

There is a sliding door that closes the area off at night.

It has been fantastic for us as the kids have the rear of the van, they eat play and sleep there as the recognise it as their space.

We convert the front for us to sleep in which now we have a topper only takes a couple of minutes.

The downside is that the bathroom is very small and we don't shower in it, but we knew that when we got it.

My year is 1300 kg but later ones run on a bigger chassis and can be upgraded to 1500kg.

There are quite a few hobby caravans with fixed bunks. We had a 495UK which was good until the small child grew to be a tall 6 footer! We then moved her to the 5th berth where she could stretch out in comfort. Look for K in the model name to show fixed bunks.

http://www. practicalcaravan. com/news/39057-new-hobby-caravans-for-2017-dare-to-be-different

There's versions of the Elddis Xplore and Coachman Vision that fit the bill. Having had children and grandchildren I'd say you're thinking along the right lines. Bunks you have to put up aren't as good to use as fixed ones. Children appreciate having their own space.

Have you looked at Adria? Good wide bunks as well. We love ours my kids are now 4 and 6, they were 1 and 3 when we bought it, layout is still good for them

Coachman 580/5 works well for us. Maybe worth a look too.

Bailey Pegasus Ancona great layout in the new one can get them for £17300

Bailey Pegasus Ancona great layout in the new one can get them for £17300

Are the rear dinette seats wide enough for two adults and two small children?

My wife wants a fixed bed for us but I don't think it will work as the kids get a bit older and so being able to leave the front bed set up during the day when we are feeling lazy could be a good compromise.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I think a trip to a few local dealers and the next caravan show may be in order.

Out of interest has anyone tried the hobby with a central seating area. They do a model with fixed bed at the front and bunks at the rear with a large seating area in the middle. I am unsure if it would be a good layout as seems to lack storage space.

Have a look at the Lunar Venus 590/6. The rear dinette looks a good size for dining at,if you left the front bed set up.

Where are you shopping??

we have just bought a Major 6 TD, motor mover and all the extras you could want for £17350!!!

Fixed bunk with a side dinette next to it that converts to a second set of bunks.

front turns into kingsize or can be slept on as 2 singles

Boys are excited and even the grumpy teen is showing signs of a smile.

We looked at the adrias at OH has had a thing for them since the NEC in 2015. Very disappointed. Quality of finish was poor and the price tag seemed a few grand more then the Major with none of the luxury. felt like we were sat in ikea :blink:

didn't like the pull down sinks ( have had problems with that in current van)

Good luck with what ever you choose x

Thanks for all the advice everyone, have had a good look around and think we have decided what we like which is this layout.

We are going to look at both the Coachman Vision 630 and the Elddis Avante 636 and go from there. Slightly over the original budget and a large twin axle which we wanted to move away from but the layout seems to suit us perfectly.

Vision-630_1280_597.jpg

For me, the problem with that layout is that in order to get from the front bed to the bathroom, you are going past the bunks. We went with the Sterling Eccles 590 (same as Swift Challenger 590 or Sprite 6TD) as the bunk and dinette are right at the back, and the whole back can then be shut off as a separate kids bedroom. The bathroom is in the middle, opposite the kitchen. It is a single axle.

Eccles-590-RGB.jpg

We ordered ours in September and apparently it is due to be built on 6th July. HURRY UP!

For me, the problem with that layout is that in order to get from the front bed to the bathroom, you are going past the bunks. We went with the Sterling Eccles 590 (same as Swift Challenger 590 or Sprite 6TD) as the bunk and dinette are right at the back, and the whole back can then be shut off as a separate kids bedroom. The bathroom is in the middle, opposite the kitchen. It is a single axle.

Eccles-590-RGB.jpg

We ordered ours in September and apparently it is due to be built on 6th July. HURRY UP!

Thanks for the suggestion we did look at this layout as it's very similar to our current van. However we found we prefer the more open feeling of the other layout and the bigger bathroom. It is a great family layout though and ideal with kids having their own area for sleeping and playing. Hope you enjoy your new van.

Having had both of the above layouts the coachman amara 570/6 was our winner. Our son loves his own area and we have tv and playstation there for him for evenings and winter months. Many a time he has made friends and brought them in which has not disturbed us up front!

In summer months we often leave our bed made up and use the awning and rear dinette. I do miss the larger end bathroom but in reality how often is it used?

Edited by Dab1209

Sign in to follow this