Sign in to follow this  
swaggy

Mobile Broadband Antenna

I've been looking for an external antenna to boost my MiFi signal when away in the van. The MiFi unit has twin TS9 ports so the ones below should be suitable. I can't figure out why one of the units below is 3X the price of the other when to my mind they are identical. As a mifi newby, am I missing something or is it just a case of Buyer Beware. ?

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Dual-Broadband-Amplifier-4G-3G-Signal-Antenna-Booster-35dBi-TS9-LTE-HUAWEI-E392-/131919894924

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/35DBI-3G-4G-LTE-TS9-Antenna-HUAWEI-R212-MF93-E392-E5573-E5577-E5372-R215-E8278-/291135143126?hash=item43c901bcd6:g:bpwAAOSwWxNYpeGA

If anyone out there in CT land, uses an external antenna for their MiFi, what type do you use and how well does it work.

Edited by swaggy

I have been looking myself t antennas . Would the internal ones still be restricted inside a tin box ?

I have thought a external would be a better option .

Dave

I have found a place in my van just below the Heki canopy where I can place the mifi unit. I can then just connect the antenna and pop it on the roof via the Heki. It will certainly get the antenna outside the tin box anyway which can't hurt.

I've been looking for an external antenna to boost my MiFi signal when away in the van. The MiFi unit has twin TS9 ports so the ones below should be suitable. I can't figure out why one of the units below is 3X the price of the other when to my mind they are identical. As a mifi newby, am I missing something or is it just a case of Buyer Beware. ?

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Dual-Broadband-Amplifier-4G-3G-Signal-Antenna-Booster-35dBi-TS9-LTE-HUAWEI-E392-/131919894924

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/35DBI-3G-4G-LTE-TS9-Antenna-HUAWEI-R212-MF93-E392-E5573-E5577-E5372-R215-E8278-/291135143126?hash=item43c901bcd6:g:bpwAAOSwWxNYpeGA

If anyone out there in CT land, uses an external antenna for their MiFi, what type do you use and how well does it work.

I have one of these and its been sitting in my garage for months. It may be, of course, that I got a wrong'un but I used it for a few trips with no noticeable difference compared to no aerial.

That said I also have a much more expensive one and I'm not sure that was worth it although there is some improvement. I do find that the improvement can lead to 'locking on' to 4g when 3g would be a better choice.

We have some antenna experts on here and in another thread I asked for their recommendations. Suspect their silence was because it's a minefield!

I have a 4G Roof Antenna & B315 Router from motorhome wifi. It's not cheap but works very well. I work from my caravan when away so a reliable connection is important and with the exception of Freshwater East it's not failed. I have used it travelling from my home in Scotland to southern Spain and had signal at every stopover en route. I take 4 three sims which then cover me for the whole time. The antenna fits through the roof via a 25mm hole and I have positioned it such that it enters through the roof into an overhead locker which has a 12v socket just below it. The router lives in the locker and I connect it to the 12v when required.

I would beware of either. If you look at the frequency spec you will find that 2110MHz which is the frequency used by must SPs for 3G in the UK and Europe is missing. As you will have no control over which frequency band is in use and, being a caravanner and thus away from larger urban areas it is more likely that 3G will be selected, you stand a chance of killing your mi-fi unit through the mismatch of the antenna.

Any stand-alone mi-fi will probably have a range of 5m+ so if you have an issue with using it inside the caravan put it outside in the awning or in the car and leave the adjacent window blind up (foil backing makes a good signal screen) and it will probably work quite well.

I've got one of those and it is hopeless. Makes absolutely no difference to my E5776. Your better off with something like this

https://www. solwise. co. uk/3g-antenna-omni-a0121. htm

Yes but it has a SMA connector where the Huawei mi-fi needs TS9 - and you can't change them yourself.

I bought one like this off eBay and it takes my speed from 15 to 35-40

post-55551-0-48618100-1491840988_thumb.jpg

I bought one like this off eBay and it takes my speed from 15 to 35-40

Where on E-bay, a piccy might be worth a 1000 words, but not if you dont know where to look :(

You need an external antenna that can do the following frequencies:

800mhz (Vodafone and o2 4g)

900mhz (traditional 2g signal, but also now being used fro 3G wide area coverage, with moves to potentially use this for 4g in the future)

1800mhz (3 and ee use this as their staple network)

2100mhz (traditional 3G bandwidth, but also in the future potentially to be used for 4g)

2600mhz (some operators have the licence to operate using this frequency and it will be used for 4g)

Typically you need an antenna that copes with the frequencies. If you have an external antenna that misses those frequencies then you potentially will end up with signal being blocked and not available as the unit will switch over to using the external antenna only

I've been looking myself over recent days, but struggling to find a suitable antenna that also gives good db gains

You need an external antenna that can do the following frequencies:

800mhz (Vodafone and o2 4g)

900mhz (traditional 2g signal, but also now being used fro 3G wide area coverage, with moves to potentially use this for 4g in the future)

1800mhz (3 and ee use this as their staple network)

2100mhz (traditional 3G bandwidth, but also in the future potentially to be used for 4g)

2600mhz (some operators have the licence to operate using this frequency and it will be used for 4g)

Typically you need an antenna that copes with the frequencies. If you have an external antenna that misses those frequencies then you potentially will end up with signal being blocked and not available as the unit will switch over to using the external antenna only

I've been looking myself over recent days, but struggling to find a suitable antenna that also gives good db gains

I don't think you need to worry too much about antenna gain. Getting the antenna outside the Faraday Cage that is your caravan will do far more good.

If you can get a bit of antenna gain then that is a bonus.

Where on E-bay, a piccy might be worth a 1000 words, but not if you dont know where to look :(

I can't grab a link, but search for"4g mimo aerial " and there's a couple like the one I bought

I don't think you need to worry too much about antenna gain. Getting the antenna outside the Faraday Cage that is your caravan will do far more good.

If you can get a bit of antenna gain then that is a bonus.

That's the worst bit by far. A fave of ours is the main rooflight. The plan was to try to get a roof mounted suction aerial with reasonable gain. There are lots out there that are frankly no use at all, but I'm also not prepared to pay the sort of money that the network operators do nowadays for antennas (frightening cost for some types)

Yes but it has a SMA connector where the Huawei mi-fi needs TS9 - and you can't change them yourself.

no but you can get adaptors cheap enough http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/TS9-Straight-To-RP-SMA-Female-Pigtail-Connector-Adapter-Cable-T8-/302168165063?_trksid=p2385738. m2548. l4275