Leave Your Handbrake On Please.

J1966

I have had a caravan move on bitmac drive at home with just the steadies down. Now it is steadies down and wheels chocked. Also now have an Alko wheel lock on latest van. I have once on the past occidentally left the handbrake on. It seized over winter but fortunately I had enough room to access it and a few taps on the brake drum freed it.

You take your caravan that far? ;)

The Alko wheel lock must help those of us who leave the handbrake off.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

I'll be out of step then. I always apply the handbrake, when it's parked up, on site, or stored at home.

I've not had a handbrake seize on - ever. It has never occurred to me that it could, or would.

The longest I've left a handbrake on is 15 years!

• Like 4

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Everyday is a school day, had my caravan for 3 years from new, always put my handbrake on! Never had a issue, however I now think I may follow the others and nip up to the storage place Thursday and chock it !

I always leave hand brake on, never had an issue. Sounds like I'm lucky.

• Like 2

I never had an issue and always left it on. Until a few weeks back where it stuck on one side after only three weeks being on. Thankfully I had enough room to reverse it and after a few tries it released.

Nobody has had a brake stick on, until they have. Ha ha

• Like 2

15 years? You should get out more often.

Caravan No. 1 1970 Sprite Alpine, parked up in my industrial unit. For sale if you want it!!! ;)

• Like 1

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

The storage owner helped me move the offending caravan back into position he said he would have a word with the owner, I understand about leaving the handbrake off.

From Alko web site

When parking, the handbrake lever MUST ALWAYS be engaged into the fully upright position (90°). If difficulty is experienced in this operation, try easing the caravan backwards with one hand while engaging the handbrake fully with the other. This manoeuvre should not be attempted on a rearwards facing slope. In this case wheel chocks should be used combined with the handbrake.

I leave mine on as per the web site, better safe than sorry, I've freed up more trailer brakes than i care to remember just a gentle rock back and forth, and away you go.

If it had clattered our vans it would have been a expensive repair for all three vans, then again if the insurance company find out the handbrake is not engaged then then the owner could be found to be partly to blame, you know how insurance love to wiggle out of claims.

• Like 1

GB

The storage owner helped me move the offending caravan back into position he said he would have a word with the owner, I understand about leaving the handbrake off.

From Alko web site

When parking, the handbrake lever MUST ALWAYS be engaged into the fully upright position (90°). If difficulty is experienced in this operation, try easing the caravan backwards with one hand while engaging the handbrake fully with the other. This manoeuvre should not be attempted on a rearwards facing slope. In this case wheel chocks should be used combined with the handbrake.

I leave mine on as per the web site, better safe than sorry, I've freed up more trailer brakes than i care to remember just a gentle rock back and forth, and away you go.

If it had clattered our vans it would have been a expensive repair for all three vans, then again if the insurance company find out the handbrake is not engaged then then the owner could be found to be partly to blame, you know how insurance love to wiggle out of claims.

My brake is so difficult to release that this year I have caused damage to a few sites while trying to release it. Must admit that's not a problem I have encountered on vans over the last 30 years.

As I said earlier. My dealer contacted Alko who advised the opposite to what you have quoted. They say it should not, normally be left on. The advise to push the van back with ONE hand is laughable.

I don't buy that insurance stuff. I believe that if you can demonstrate that you take reasonable care and risk assess what you do. That's what is needed. A quick look around my storage site shows about 80% plus who leave the brake off. That alone demonstrates the norm.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

I always use the handbrake on site, surviving a couple of Storm Force 10s - but never at home, it's parked on level ground with all 4 steadies firmly down.

Exactly the same story here. Alko wheel lock on one wheel and the other wheel is chocked.

John. :)

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

The only time handbrake is in the off position is when my caravan is pitched on a level pitch.

At all other times, as far as I am aware, the handbrake will be on when in storage. When I collect it from the storage site there has never been a problem with sticking brakes.

My storage site removes my caravan from the storage area and returns it to storage when I leave it in a parking area after a caravan trip.

Perhaps the tractor which tows the caravan post-34162-0-81182600-1488975682_thumb.jpg the three hundred yards from the storage area to the collection point may play some part in freeing off the brakes? :rolleyes:;)

• Like 1

Surely if the steadies are lowered they will prevent the caravan from moving anyway?

Not necessarily :D

Once upon a time I thought the same! About 10 years ago my caravan was parked with steadies down on bitmac and no wheel lock. It moved 9''. So now I always chock when I store

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Not necessarily :D

Once upon a time I thought the same! About 10 years ago my caravan was parked with steadies down on bitmac and no wheel lock. It moved 9''. So now I always chock when I store

Surely the ALKO wheel lock if you have them is as good as having chocks?

It wouldn't stop the 'van from moving, if it was a single axle it could still pivot around the locked wheel, unlikely though I would have thought with the legs down but theoretically possible if the forces applied where strong enough.

Probably but I now chock out of habit. It does mean that as there is a slight slope when I come to use the caravan, remove the lock and wind the legs up the caravan does not slowly roll if I forget to put the brake on before I go to fetch gear for the mover from back of the car.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

It wouldn't stop the 'van from moving, if it was a single axle it could still pivot around the locked wheel, unlikely though I would have thought with the legs down but theoretically possible if the forces applied where strong enough.

Happened to Wee Berthy last year. Pivoted in one of the winter storms. Steadies down,and one wheel chocked and pivoted on the un-chocked side also had the jockey wheel raised. I now chock both wheels . Being a two berth was fairly light. Was very lucky not to hit the van stored beside me. Lesson learned. .... :blush:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

GB My brake is so difficult to release that this year I have caused damage to a few sites while trying to release it. Must admit that's not a problem I have encountered on vans over the last 30 years.

As I said earlier. My dealer contacted Alko who advised the opposite to what you have quoted. They say it should not, normally be left on. The advise to push the van back with ONE hand is laughable.

I don't buy that insurance stuff. I believe that if you can demonstrate that you take reasonable care and risk assess what you do. That's what is needed. A quick look around my storage site shows about 80% plus who leave the brake off. That alone demonstrates the norm.

John

Hi John,

If Alko had advised in writing then we could all relax, if anyone has it in writing that Alko state the opposite of the handbrake application to whats written on there web site then we could open up the discussion.

Pushing the caravan back with one hand is laughable at the very least, apply handbrake then lean with your back against the van and push back to engage the brake fully, I've done this many times.

People are free to do what ever they want with regards to the handbrake, but in this instance there actions could have damaged our caravan and the one the other side, for fear of sticking brakes. IMO it was poorly pitched for storage and the gusts swiveled it because of a lack of resistance at the wheels.

Hi John,

If Alko had advised in writing then we could all relax, if anyone has it in writing that Alko state the opposite of the handbrake application to whats written on there web site then we could open up the discussion.

Pushing the caravan back with one hand is laughable at the very least, apply handbrake then lean with your back against the van and push back to engage the brake fully, I've done this many times.

People are free to do what ever they want with regards to the handbrake, but in this instance there actions could have damaged our caravan and the one the other side, for fear of sticking brakes. IMO it was poorly pitched for storage and the gusts swiveled it because of a lack of resistance at the wheels.

No, nothing in writing, just the word of the engineer.

The only way I am able to free mine is to hitch up and pull forward about 3 metres. Mover won't budge it forward or back, let alone me pushing it. It defeats the object of having a mover for ease of use.

As I said before. This is not an issue I have had over the last 30 years.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

John

I'm interested in how many have had an issue in recent years. Are sticking handbrakes something to be concerned about nowadays, or something that old hands are scarred by from long-past experience?

I'm interested in how many have had an issue in recent years. Are sticking handbrakes something to be concerned about nowadays, or something that old hands are scarred by from long-past experience?

For me its the reverse. A new problem. Perhaps there is an issue with my brakes as opposed to a general problem with modern vans. But I have only ever used the handbrake if left on a slope.

John

My handbrake has been on since end of October ( it's a twin axle) so no chance of it being turned in the wind, I m going to look at it today so will see what happen's when I move the van a little.

No, nothing in writing, just the word of the engineer.

The only way I am able to free mine is to hitch up and pull forward about 3 metres. Mover won't budge it forward or back, let alone me pushing it. It defeats the object of having a mover for ease of use.

John

John,

If you have brakes not releasing again, connect your car and "Reverse" the unit. This should make the auto reverse operate and free things up. By just pulling forward with the car the seized brakes are less likely to free themselves. The problem could also be with your bowden cables sticking and not releasing.

Regards

Mark

Edited by MDM

Gite and 6 pitch CL type Campsite https://labucaille.com/ Normandie France