Alde Heating

BWT

Message added by CT Advertising,

Prima logo.png

Take a look at the Alde Caravan Heating System Parts available from Prima Leisure. 

The perfect companions to your caravan heater.

No because the pipes have ups and downs so the front retains the fluid as well as up and over the expansion tank.

Is the correct answer.

I flushed mine through using a garden hose until clear. Then drained as much as would come out the drain point (less than half), then refitted the header tank and added an estimated volume of pink antifreeze. This was circulated round the system for 10 minutes to mix it up and then a sample was taken from the header tank and tested for density with an hydrometer.

Partial draining and adding more antifreeze then leads to an SG for 50% solution of 1. 075 at 25 degrees centigrade.

So I now have a system that contains 50% tap water !!?? Not a brilliant result IMHO.

Best to get a pump and use the new solution to push the old solution out. This works if you are changing from blue to pink antifreeze because you can see the colour change, but replacing pink with pink ?

Next time I will get Alde to do it.

Hi Folks

John thanks for your links this helped point me in the right dirction

Well decided to have another go tonight and a wee bit more success. I connected my submersible pump to the flow side stuck it in a bucket with 10lts of Scottish Soft tap water and switched the pump on. Ran all this water through still running Blue. Emptied the bucket and did the same again still slightly blue my next move is to remove the bung run out what i can rebuild the system and add the new antifreeze concentrate until full. I will then turn on the pump circulate and test using a refractometer. Then run off some fluid at the bung and adjust accordingly use water or antifreeze as required. My only concern is that the dilution will be with tap water not distilled. Does anyone see any issue with tap water personally i dont we used to use it in the lab to mix battery acid.

Regards

BrianT

I didn't want to risk the system with tap water.

£13ish for 25 litres of distilled didn't make it worth the potential problems of tap water for me. I am sure chlorine corrodes aluminium but don't quote me?

https://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/222164455034

Then again, if you use tap water in the lab, you probably know better than me (who doesn't do labs). :-)

Edited by John W

If it is soft then probably no problem. For those of you in a hard water area. My 6 year old kettle recently died but it had been used endlessly over that time and there was no limescale. Not something you could say if you get your water from the South Downs for example.

What about compressed air?

I'm only saying this as a friend of mine has his static winterized by the on site bod and he uses and air compressor to get the water out of the systems.

Edited by Simple Life

• 3 years later...

I changed my Alde fluid yesterday very easy to do.

items used 

12 volt submersible pump

100 ml syringe and tube 2.99 --bay

7 litres G13 Triple x concentrate  (5 year) 3.39 per litre delivered Car parts direct

10 litres Triple x Deionised water 3,25 per 5 litres delivered Car parts direct

2 radiator connectors with ptfe on thread end and hosepipe

Method

1 syphon out from header tank with syringe visible fluid (did not remove brass bung from drain pipe)

2 Attach 60cm tube to syringe push tube inside horizontal heating pipes (TAKE CARE NOT TO LET TUBE SLIP INTO HEATING PIPES) and remove as much fluid as possible then remove header tank no fluid leaked out

3 Using pump flush out old fluid until runs clear this took several times until it ran clear

4  Refill with 50/50 fluid mix mine took just over 12 litres

5  Refit header tank

6 Fill to just below max line

7 I then ran pump no heating and blead at radiator quite a bit of air came out

8 Topped up reservoir tank

9 Ran heating turned up pump to max and checked for air in system at all 3 points (no air) then reset pump speed

10 Let fluid cool down adjusted fluid reservoir to max (syringe used to adjust level if needed)

Took about 90 mins to complete   

2 hours ago, Land said:

10 litres Triple x Deionised water 3,25 per 5 litres delivered Car parts direct

Not the Triple QX Purple one I hope? Alde have now specifically removed that from the approved list. In fact I used that originally just before Alde removed approval. Being a nerd I replaced it a few weeks later with Comma XStream GG40. Other than their own ready mixed at vast cost to the public, they approve Fuchs Fricofin Maintain V in addition to the Comma one.

Anyway well done on DIY!

59 minutes ago, TinShack said:

Not the Triple QX Purple one I hope? Alde have now specifically removed that from the approved list. In fact I used that originally just before Alde removed approval. Being a nerd I replaced it a few weeks later with Comma XStream GG40. Other than their own ready mixed at vast cost to the public, they approve Fuchs Fricofin Maintain V in addition to the Comma one.

Anyway well done on DIY!

Oops! I meant to quote the line saying

7 litres G13 Triple x concentrate  (5 year) 3.39 per litre delivered Car parts direct

Good point well made  I perhaps should have mentioned not to use the purple concentrate 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. We've attached the list of Alde-approved antifreeze products.

It's short and concise. No other antifreeze products have passed Alde approvals.

g13.pdf

• 3 months later...

Just changed the antifreeze in my Coachman,following a guys excellent video on Youtube,  

"Alde G13 coolant antifreeze change for £34. Alde 3020."

Using a £10  12 Volt pump from ebay  took no time at all and the only air came from the bathroom radiator, the hardest part was replacing the silly clip for resealing the drain pipe.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2020 at 15:52, Divedel said:

Just changed the antifreeze in my Coachman,following a guys excellent video on Youtube,  

"Alde G13 coolant antifreeze change for £34. Alde 3020."

Using a £10  12 Volt pump from ebay  took no time at all and the only air came from the bathroom radiator, the hardest part was replacing the silly clip for resealing the drain pipe.

I am following the same guy. Mine is 3010. But i cannot get fluid to pump around system using submersible pump. And it was all going so well..!

Any thoughts??

thanks