Sign in to follow this  
sampvt

Things Needed For Travel Abroad

I think that it is important that people know what the minimum legal requirements are for travel in a Foreign country,if you think that is trivial then that is your opinion,

By continuing posting on this thread without contributing anything useful, in my opinion that is the worst example of bickering!

Each to their own!

knarf

We all seem to have our cross to bear! :)

Here in Spain the police all have their own little pet hates to catch you out, you will be breaking the law whatever you do, it will be wrong in their eyes.

Now in my 18th year living here and have been as legal as I can but not 100% I drive both English and Spanish cars and so far been lucky, but do hear loads of things happening to others.

Best way is not to worry about it and just do it, I never think what to carry and I am constantly traveling in one country or the other.

When I had a motorhome I towed a car 4 wheels down, got stopped and fined in spain, and got stopped and let off in Germany.

If you get stopped then you will know next time what you did wrong, all depends on the copper.

I find the uk is the worst country to travel in the place is a nightmare.

I don't know if the op is still reading this thread after all that he bickering but one thing worth taking is a spare cap for your aquaroll if you use one, they are not available abroad.

Ian

• Like 1

The most important item as far as I am concerned is the adaptor for the locking wheel nuts on the car.

I had new tyres fitted before went to France a few years ago and the fitters hadn't put the nut back in the car,fortunately I didn't need it but only discovered it wasn't in the glove box when I got to France!

knarf

Not according to http://www. euroadlegal. co. uk/country/spain. html

Regarding high-viz jackets, it says "Spanish law requires that the reflective vest is carried in the passenger compartment of the vehicle in such a way as it can be seen from outside the vehicle. The vest must be donned before exiting the vehicle. . Anyone who leaves the vehicle must be wearing a reflective jacket, which suggests that you should carry one for each passenger if you are to be safe and all leave the vehicle in the case of breakdown.

There is a practice of putting hi vis jackets around the driver's and passenger seats which today is a dangerous act in some vehicles as it is covering the air bags in the side of the seats from working in the event of a accident .

Even seat covers now have to be type approved for the vehicle that have pockets allowing the air bag to deploy.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Has anyone mentioned "lots of money" yet ? :)

• Like 1

There is a practice of putting hi vis jackets around the driver's and passenger seats which today is a dangerous act in some vehicles as it is covering the air bags in the side of the seats from working in the event of a accident .

Even seat covers now have to be type approved for the vehicle that have pockets allowing the air bag to deploy.

Dave

There is no need to have the jacket over the seat,contrary to what has been said, the law in Spain is that the jacket should be carried either under the drivers seat or in the glove compartment and must be readily available.

knarf

If you go in the winter you are required to carry socks and snow chains in some countries and snow shovel might be handy .

Something I have got to sort out myself for up adverturing in the Artic circle ?

Dave

Something I have got to sort out myself for up adverturing in the Artic circle ?

Not really unless you are planning to go in the winter. I've taken my caravan up to the Arctic Circle in summer a couple of times and the conditions were no different to what we are used to.

My understanding of the word "bickering" is along the lines of arguing about petty and trivial matter that are of little significance!

You might have a different understanding of the word since my post was directly critical of some of the posts in this thread! I would have thought that fairly obvious but seems not to be the case for everyone! :(

I understand what bickering means. By posting again and listing what you do with sarcasm created by " do I REALLY have to explain" does the the bickering not continue?

Unfortunately, there is a tendency for some people to refer to items being a legal requirement when that is not the case. You may consider such to be trivial or pedantic but others do not.

Whilst some may 'google' it shouldn't be deprecated as it can provide links to reliable sources of information. However, others may have access to such sources of information by employment, experience or hobby.

BTW more trivia: Isn't the Santa Fe dipped beam a flat top with a 'step' and hot spot to the nearside? :unsure:

Does it need an adapter? Hyundai sell the Eurolite kit. ;)

If you are able adjust your headlights down plus not driving at night, I assume there is no need for the adaptors on the headlights whether in Spain or France?

BTW more trivia: Isn't the Santa Fe dipped beam a flat top with a 'step' and hot spot to the nearside? :unsure:

Does it need an adapter? Hyundai sell the Eurolite kit. ;)

Indeed more trivia. And doubtless more Googling!

I wrote that the headlights for my model and year Santa Fe are flat topped beams and simply require lowering from within the car. That is the case.

Eurolite make a whole range of equipment and may well make beam deflectors. If Hyundai stock and sell Eurolite items then I presume some models require a form of beam deflection. That was the case for my first Santa Fe although I managed with whatever deflectors Halfords sold.

You can get defelectors in Wilko for afiver-Eurolite type, cheaper than the ports or the well known motorists shop!

Our 2016 Santa Fe has projector type headlights with auto levelling, we also found that you can change the light pattern for EU in the settings menu-its not in our handbook but I found it when playing and a quick google confirmed it.

On the useful things to carry, we have 2 hi-vis vests,stored in pocket on the back of the front seats. First aid kit, triangle, bulb kit and breathalysers. We also have 2 cheapo triangles (from pound shop!) which we keep in the van.

We also have spare specs, as well as sunnies. Useful on any holiday if you wear glasses!

The adaptor for locking wheel nuts lives in the car, there is also one for the Bailey alloys which lives in the van.

For the OP, you have to carry your V5, MOT and insurance docs, as well as the obvious passports and licenses.

• Like 1

You can get defelectors in Wilko for afiver-Eurolite type, cheaper than the ports or the well known motorists shop!

Our 2016 Santa Fe has projector type headlights with auto levelling, we also found that you can change the light pattern for EU in the settings menu-its not in our handbook but I found it when playing and a quick google confirmed it.

I just checked the Eurolite application chart and all Santa Fe are listed Inc projector headlight models so not sure if they are not needed ?

Dave

You may find you are wrong regarding the facility to adjust your beams using the settings menu. (Depends upon the model and year) Perhaps the latest 2016 models are different from mine?

So far as I know that facility is only available for the AFLS (adaptive front lighting system) which is not standard in the UK.

(Handbooks are generic - and confusing - and I think you will find the settings adjustment is not available for a Santa Fe bought in the UK. Certainly it appears in my handbook but is not available).

If your lights are Xenon then again you have a flat beam pattern so just lower if need be.

I just checked the Eurolite application chart and all Santa Fe are listed Inc projector headlight models so not sure if they are not needed ?

Dave

Santa Fe models sold in the UK between 2010 and 2012 (maybe 2013) had a nearside cut-off angled upwards. I had one! And used beam deflectors.

I suspect the Eurolite lists have not been amended but who knows! The obvious answer is if you have a Santa Fe simply face a garage door and switch on your lights. You will immediately see what, if anything, is needed.

Why spend hours googling etc? And in so many cases come up with opposing information!

Sighs deeply. :rolleyes:

If you are able adjust your headlights down plus not driving at night, I assume there is no need for the adaptors on the headlights whether in Spain or France?

Jeep GC call for Eurolite on the application list and I would think not driving at night would not satisfy as an excuse .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Then you assume wrong.

What happens if you are out in daylight and it starts to rain?

• Like 1

Wow! I never realised what a can of worms I was opening :D

You would be surprised at how such a simple request for information on an Internet forum can sometimes go so pear shaped and result in such misinformation as we have seen in this thread.

They are rarely the definitive source for information about anything really important.

Edited by Tin_Snail
  • Like 1

This thread reminded of the day I was sat in our previous Fiat 500 a few years back, parked in a intermarche car park in Cahors with the air con on for the dog whilst my wife was getting the days shopping. (It was hot).

An older Frech gentleman walking across the front of our car spotted the Eurolites on the headlights and a huge smile broke out on his face, pointing at both headlights he gave me an enthusiastic thumbs up.

He clearly was impressed I had bothered and importantly the 'entente cordiale' was further enhanced. . :lol:

Edited by Tin_Snail

Not really unless you are planning to go in the winter. I've taken my caravan up to the Arctic Circle in summer a couple of times and the conditions were no different to what we are used to.

I'll be going summer but was not sure if you need to carry them .

Dave

I'm off back to Blighty next month, my Eurolite adaptors for German to UK headlights are sat in my garage ready to be fitted to my Pajero (Shogun) Xenons, I don't want to be dazzling any of you fine folk, you 'll be chuntering 'bloody german' at me (and I'm not) :D

• Like 1

Then you assume wrong.

What happens if you are out in daylight and it starts to rain?

If I remember correctly the law states that your lights must not dazzle oncoming traffic and there is no law stating that deflectors are required. So if the beams are pointing downwards in a rainstorm, you are not dazzling any drivers, but I do take your point on board.

It's a miracle anyone manages to get abroad.

• Like 3