Sign in to follow this  
sampvt

Things Needed For Travel Abroad

Hi,

Where in the DVLA information does it state that the wearing of glasses is notifiable. The requirements appear to be that provided you meet the standards of vision (see extract 1 below) with or without glasses that you are able to drive. At my last appointment with my optometrist consultant I specifically asked if I had to advise the DVLA and he said no as my eyesight more than meet the requirement for driving when I wore my glasses. This would also appear to be confirmed by extract 2 below. I was surprised when I was queried about this when applying for a replacement licence as I have not seen this requirement or been advised about it before despite asking the consultant at the hospital.

Dave

1. Standards of vision for driving

You must be able to read (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) a car number plate made after 1 September 2001 from 20 metres.

You must also meet the minimum eyesight standard for driving by having a visual acuity of at least decimal 0. 5 (6/12) measured on the Snellen scale (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) using both eyes together or, if you have sight in one eye only, in that eye.

You must also have an adequate field of vision - your optician can tell you about this and do a test.

2. Driving eyesight rules

You must wear glasses or contact lenses every time you drive if you need them to meet the ‘standards of vision for driving’.

You must tell DVLA if you’ve got any problem with your eyesight that affects both of your eyes, or the remaining eye if you only have one eye.

This doesn’t include being short or long sighted or colour blind. You also don’t need to say if you’ve had surgery to correct short sightedness and can meet the eyesight standards.

Check if you need to tell DVLA about your eyesight problem by searching the A to Z of medical conditions that could affect your driving.

Are you doing an eye sight test on us with your font size ?

• Like 3

If you wear glasses you are required to have a spare pair with you in France.

Drivers in Spain also are required to carry a spare pair of specs. Also each passenger should have a high-viz jacket and the driver's jacket should be visible from outside the car.

Not worth buying breathalyser for France.

post-33104-0-25474400-1488572828_thumb.png

snooks

Just look up what the legal requirements are and sort them!!! Too many comments that contradict here and the original OP will be exhausted by the end of all this.

One thing I would add is make a note of mobile phone numbers on paper and store somewhere. My phone stopped working once and we were away for about 6 weeks and I didn't know anyone's number!!! Eventually emailed those I needed to contact for numbers. Thing is nowadays we don't seem to recall telephone numbers like we used to do.

Oh and Marks and Spencer's mint imperials (best ones as the mint in the centre is hard!) for travelling!!!!!

On the eye sight thing, I have poor eyes, so there are spare pairs of glasses in the Freelander, in the caravan, two pairs and at home!

I carry so many as if the screw holding the arm falls out I cannot see to replace it!

Grandchildren are fab at doing it for me though

My eyes are also checked by a proper optician every year as well!

None of this only getting them checked only every two years for me!

Wow! I never realised what a can of worms I was opening :D

• Like 1

Drivers in Spain also are required to carry a spare pair of specs. Also each passenger should have a high-viz jacket and the driver's jacket should be visible from outside the car.

That is incorrect!

Carrying spare glasses is not mandatory in Spain and the requirement for High Viz jackets is at least one per vehicle.

For vehicles registered in Spain 2 triangles are mandatory but for visiting drivers only one is mandatory, however it is strongly recommended that 2 are carried unless you are prepared to argue the point with the police.

knarf

Not worth buying breathalyser for France.

attachicon.gifIMG_0386. PNG

snooks

Spare bulbs aren't mandatory for France,the fine would be for driving a vehicle with a defective light!

knarf

The headlamp adapters are designed (?) to fit both left hand and right hand vehicles. All they do is obscure the kick up leaving a relatively flat dipped beam.

I've driven many lhd vehicles all had a kick up dipped beam. A relative works at an import/export dock and has confirmed that is so for all of the several makes they handle for export to Europe. . The UK MoT test permits dipped beam adapters on left hand drive cars which implies that there must be such headlamps in use.

If dipped beam adapters are illegal in Germany how do you suggest the many UK visitors comply otherwise with German law? Fit new headlamps? In fact and reality the requirement is not to cause dazzle to other road users. UK law and French law are specific about this as, almost certainly, is German law. The two Vienna Conventions permit the use of vehicles that comply with national regulations to free movement within the signatory countries so adapting dipped beam to prevent dazzle is all that is required. However, as dazzle is subjective it really needs a complaint to generate a penalty and that it most unlikely. How many cases are recorded for causing dazzle?

Tempo 100 is easily obtained for a UK caravan and a registration document for the caravan or trailer is not required.

Dutch Dekra and TuV have an agreement to issue Tempo 100 to Dutch registered vehicles.

Headlamps are required to be marked with a type approval mark. As soon an adapter is fitted, the beam pattern is modified compared with that which was type approved, so the headlamp type approval is no longer valid unless the adapters were themselves type approved.

Dazzle can be prevented by resetting the exisiting beam aim. All our vehicles destined for countries with traffic on the right had a symmetric beam which does not require any modification for the UK.

Probably wherever you are, there are a lot more domestic vehicles with a beam aim causing dazzle than foreign ones from a country where they drive on the other side of the road.

Xenon and projector headlamps have such a high light output that adapters fitted over the lens cause a degree of uncontrolled reflection of light back into the headlamp unit resulting in scatter which can actually be enough to defeat the whole object of the adapter. However, where necessary, such headlamp systems nearly always have a means of resetting the beam aim, either by the vehicle owner using the menu provided on the on-board computer, or by a dealer.

Regarding the Tempo 100km/h sticker, the TÜV don't issue it, at least not in Germany, but the vehicle licensing office, so even if it is possible to get 100km/h approval, it means a visit to the TÜV first, which in itself can be a long wait depending how busy they are, and then having to go to a vehicle licensing office - an exercise which is hardly worthwhile for a short holiday trip.

So far as bickering is concerned this topic comes high up the list.

Does it matter whether the law says you must carry spare specs if you can't see adequately without them? (I always carry my last replaced glasses in the car or, if not caravanning, in my hand luggage). Do I REALLY have to explain why?

If you drive abroad surely you would not wish to dazzle other oncoming motorists? So you do something about it. My car has flat top beams so if the weight of caravan was to move them higher (self leveling suspension means it doesn't) then I would adjust them from inside the car. If my lights had a non flat top pattern I would stick deflectors on (as I did for "hundreds" of years). Do I REALLY have to explain why?

If I suffer a breakdown or have an accident then for my protection and that of any passengers everyone would wear a high vis jacked. If they need to be accessible quickly then you don't carry them in the boot! Do I REALLY have to explain why?

Warning triangles are a sensible way of, guess what, WARNING on coming traffic that there is a problem ahead. I carry two. Do I REALLY have to explain why?

Does it really matter whether carrying a First Aid kit is compulsory? I carry one. Do I REALLY have to explain why?

I carry a spare bulb kit. I carry it all the time here and abroad. It sits safely in the boot. I'm really unconcerned what a law may or may not say. Do I REALLY have to explain why?

I guess it passes time to sit, finger poised after every post. If it were not for "Google" forums would cease to exist. lol

Unfortunately "Googling" can be an inexact science as evidenced by the stream of contradictory posts. Not unusual is it!

Carry the basics with you and lists of these are easily found. In addition make your own mind up about any extra precautions (some of mine are listed above) that may or may not be legally required, and take it from there.

Oh, I nearly forgot. It is illegal to import baked beans into Germany! There's a prize for the first person who can "google" this and quote the law. :unsure:

• Like 2

That is incorrect!

Carrying spare glasses is not mandatory in Spain and the requirement for High Viz jackets is at least one per vehicle.

Not according to http://www. euroadlegal. co. uk/country/spain. html

Regarding high-viz jackets, it says "Spanish law requires that the reflective vest is carried in the passenger compartment of the vehicle in such a way as it can be seen from outside the vehicle. The vest must be donned before exiting the vehicle. . Anyone who leaves the vehicle must be wearing a reflective jacket, which suggests that you should carry one for each passenger if you are to be safe and all leave the vehicle in the case of breakdown.

• Like 1

Not according to http://www. euroadlegal. co. uk/country/spain. html

Regarding high-viz jackets, it says "Spanish law requires that the reflective vest is carried in the passenger compartment of the vehicle in such a way as it can be seen from outside the vehicle. The vest must be donned before exiting the vehicle. . Anyone who leaves the vehicle must be wearing a reflective jacket, which suggests that you should carry one for each passenger if you are to be safe and all leave the vehicle in the case of breakdown.

As I posted earlier so many of these websites written in English are a mine of mis-information!

If you need the correct answer you should search in the language of the country!

Spare spectacles:

"Actualmente no es obligatorio que lleves tus gafas de repuesto en el coche, pero sí que es muy recomendable llevarlas para tratar de evitar problemas e imprevistos. La conducción segura es fundamental.

Triangles and vests translated from the official traffic law site.;

Mandatory equipment in the vehicle.
1. Purpose
Ensure the safety of users after an accident.
2. Things to remember
• The General Vehicle Regulations establishes the obligation to carry in the vehicle two danger warning triangles and at least one high visibility reflective vest.
• The use of a high visibility reflective vest is mandatory when leaving the vehicle and occupying the roadway or the shoulder of the interurban roadways.
• In case of immobilization of the vehicle by accident, danger warning triangles will be used, unless traffic conditions do not allow this. The triangles shall be placed one at the front and the other at the rear of the vehicle at least 50 meters apart and in such a way that they are visible from at least 100 meters by approaching drivers. On single-way driveways or with more than three lanes, a single device, at least 50 meters ahead, will be sufficient.
• In addition, the emergency light will turn on if the vehicle is carrying it. If the accident takes place on the motorway or motorway, in low visibility conditions or between sunset and sunrise, the position and, where appropriate, the positioning lamps will also be lit.
knarf

If my lights had a non flat top pattern I would stick deflectors on (as I did for "hundreds" of years). Do I REALLY have to explain why?

Yes, you could explain why when there are perfectly good ways of preventing dazzle without deflectors.

Oh, I nearly forgot. It is illegal to import baked beans into Germany! There's a prize for the first person who can "google" this and quote the law. :unsure:

You can be confident that no-one is going to claim the prize because imported baked beans are readily available in the supermarkets.

Headlamps are required to be marked with a type approval mark. As soon an adapter is fitted, the beam pattern is modified compared with that which was type approved, so the headlamp type approval is no longer valid unless the adapters were themselves type approved.

Quite correct. But the Vienna Conventions permits the use of vehicles conforming to national legislation to be used in other countries so adapting the dipped beam to prevent dazzle is acceptable for temporary visits

Dazzle can be prevented by resetting the existing beam aim. All our vehicles destined for countries with traffic on the right had a symmetric beam which does not require any modification for the UK.

You don't specify what 'our vehicles' are but, presumably, Opel? Whilst some makes have models that can have the dipped beam reset or converted for driving on the other side of the road there are many that can't. Asymmetric dip seems to be the EU standard so it would be interesting to know which makes of vehicles do not have such an arrangement?

Probably wherever you are, there are a lot more domestic vehicles with a beam aim causing dazzle than foreign ones from a country where they drive on the other side of the road.

Agreed. The revised MoT test should take care of some of those vehicles in future.

Xenon and projector headlamps have such a high light output that adapters fitted over the lens cause a degree of uncontrolled reflection of light back into the headlamp unit resulting in scatter which can actually be enough to defeat the whole object of the adapter. However, where necessary, such headlamp systems nearly always have a means of resetting the beam aim, either by the vehicle owner using the menu provided on the on-board computer, or by a dealer.

Agreed but not all cars have those types of headlamps.

Regarding the Tempo 100km/h sticker, the TÜV don't issue it, at least not in Germany, but the vehicle licensing office, so even if it is possible to get 100km/h approval, it means a visit to the TÜV first, which in itself can be a long wait depending how busy they are, and then having to go to a vehicle licensing office - an exercise which is hardly worthwhile for a short holiday trip.

Having put a caravan through Tempo 100 I know how the system works. A pre-arranged inspection and a trip to the Straßenverkehrsamt to get the sticker took less than two hours.

I was trying to convey that the Dutch and I think also the Danish can get Tempo 100 in their own countries. The inspection is local DEKRA/TuV who then obtain a certificate from Germany but it's a lot more expensive than doing it in Germany!

Hi,

Where in the DVLA information does it state that the wearing of glasses is notifiable.

You must tell DVLA if you have a driving licence and:

• you develop a ‘notifiable’ medical condition or disability
  • a condition or disability has got worse since you got your licence

Notifiable conditions are anything that could affect your ability to drive safely. They can include:

• epilepsy
  • strokes
  • other neurological and mental health conditions
  • physical disabilities
  • visual impairments

If glasses or contact lenses are required in order to comply with the eyesight requirement the licence must have code 01. As a licence could run for many years before renewal any change listed above should be notified immediately it becomes apparent.

Edited by beejay

So far as bickering is concerned this topic comes high up the list.

So why add to it?

• Like 2

Just read that link and it doesn't say that spare glasses are mandatory it just says that they are essential and include a spare wheel and a fan belt in that statement neither are mandatory.

When you think about it the enforcement of spare spectacles is virtually unenforceable.

If you were to lose a pair(which is one of the valid reasons for carrying them) you would then be illegal as you wouldn't be in possession of a spare pair!

The donning of a high Viz jacket when exiting the vehicle is only mandatory on interurban roads.

knarf

Quite correct. But the Vienna Conventions permits the use of vehicles conforming to national legislation to be used in other countries so adapting the dipped beam to prevent dazzle is acceptable for temporary visits

You don't specify what 'our vehicles' are but, presumably, Opel? Whilst some makes have models that can have the dipped beam reset or converted for driving on the other side of the road there are many that can't. Asymmetric dip seems to be the EU standard so it would be interesting to know which makes of vehicles do not have such an arrangement?

Agreed. The revised MoT test should take care of some of those vehicles in future.

Agreed but not all cars have those types of headlamps.

Having put a caravan through Tempo 100 I know how the system works. A pre-arranged inspection and a trip to the Straßenverkehrsamt to get the sticker took less than two hours.

I was trying to convey that the Dutch and I think also the Danish can get Tempo 100 in their own countries. The inspection is local DEKRA/TuV who then obtain a certificate from Germany but it's a lot more expensive than doing it in Germany!

I was not aware that non-type approved headlamps (which they will normally be with adapters) were acceptable in the UK.

Yes, I was referring to Opel. An asymmetric beam pattern is permitted by the regulations, but not required. In general only the UK made use of this option.

You say that your visit to the DEKRA/TÜV was pre-arranged. That would not normally be the case with a holidaymaker who probably won't know where the local vehicle licensing office is, either, so in general the exercise is going to take a lot longer than it did for you. That's what I meant when I said it was hardly worth the hassle for, say, a fortnight's stay.

there are no visible type approval marks on my UK Honda.

knarf

it doesn't say that spare glasses are mandatory it just says that they are essential

The donning of a high Viz jacket when exiting the vehicle is only mandatory on interurban roads.

These days I probably drive more miles in Spain than I do in the UK which is is why I carry a spare pair - even if they are slightly tinted. ...... :P

I also have four high viz jackets in the car so that we can all get to a place of safety in case of breakdown. Of course they are only required on main roads - otherwise you would need to put one on just to pop into a shop. ... :P

On a more serious note - has anyone mentioned travel insurance for the original poster. In recent weeks I've been amazed by a couple of people who have said when talking insurance "Oh I don't bother about it".

Really? I didn't know that, do sunglasses count? :)

If they are prescription; possibly.

If they are prescription; possibly.

Mine are two identical pairs made up from the same prescription with one pair having a slight tint on the lenses.

there are no visible type approval marks on my UK Honda.

knarf

They must be somewhere, even if they are hard to find.

So why add to it?

My understanding of the word "bickering" is along the lines of arguing about petty and trivial matter that are of little significance!

You might have a different understanding of the word since my post was directly critical of some of the posts in this thread! I would have thought that fairly obvious but seems not to be the case for everyone! :(

I think that it is important that people know what the minimum legal requirements are for travel in a Foreign country,if you think that is trivial then that is your opinion,

By continuing posting on this thread without contributing anything useful, in my opinion that is the worst example of bickering!

Each to their own!

knarf