Sign in to follow this  
sampvt

Things Needed For Travel Abroad

Looking down the list of posts regarding euro travel, I can see it is an emotive subject so my question is simple. ....

Based on the fact that we ''will'' be going abroad in either our motorhome or caravan for the first time this year, I would like all you informed and educated seasoned campaigners to help me compile a list of things needed for our Journey.

Whether we take our motorhome or caravan will be decided upon by the ease of travel and will be based on the economics of said journey.

Everything from passports to lists of available aires/campsites and maps is what we are looking for as well as the hidden things like triangles and breathalysers if they are law now etc etc etc. Thanks all.

help me compile a list of things needed for our Journey.

I'm just back from four months abroad and before I left home I used a list which I keep on my compute and print off before every journey. Each item is ticked off as it's packed. Since I've added to the list over the years, it now has 135 items on it but I wouldn't have a clue as how to reproduce it here. Instead have a look at this

• Like 1

The usual stuff:

Passport

Driving Licence

Proof of Insurance

GB Number Plate and/or Sticker

High Vis Vest for each occupant (within reach, not in the boot)

Fire Extinguisher

Headlight Adaptors

Spare Bulb Set

Breathalyser kit (Compliant with French Regs)

Warning Triangle

100 Km/h sticker with 'Bundesland' official sticker if you want to drive @ 100 Km with a caravan in Germany, otherwise you're limited to 80 Km/h. Here's how. ............ https://www. tuev-nord. de/en/private/traffic/car-motorcycle-caravan/100kmh-approval-for-caravans/

Which countries are you planning to visit?

Which areas are you planning to stop in?

Age group? Kids? Taking dogs?

As i understand it the only legal requirement is:

Hi-Vis for the driver (for putting the red triangle out)

Red Triangle in the boot

Breathalyzer

GB sticker on rear window of on the number plate

Copy of insurance

Other things i would take which may be difficult to source are:

- Water pump (you can guarantee it will fail if you dont have one)

- Replacements bulbs for the car and caravan

Apart from that i cant think of anything else i would take over a standard UK trip.

Edited by tom_1989

Forgot one, make sure you have a European adaptor to connect to the mains

As i understand it the only legal requirement is:

Hi-Vis for the driver (for putting the red triangle out)

Red Triangle in the boot

Breathalyzer

GB sticker on rear window of on the number plate

Copy of insurance

Other things i would take which may be difficult to source are:

- Water pump (you can guarantee it will fail if you dont have one)

- Replacements bulbs for the car and caravan

Apart from that i cant think of anything else i would take over a standard UK trip.

All vehicle occupants require a high vis vest and it must be in reach from your seat.

All vehicle occupants require a high vis vest and it must be in reach from your seat.

Hi-viz vests are a good safety precaution even where not required by law, eg in the UK - I have a set of 5 under my driver's seat - there's a small first aid kit in the driver's seat tray and a small fire extinguisher in the passenger's seat tray.

I'll just add to and amend Borussia's list:

Add:

MoT certificate

V5C

Breakdown insurance

Travel/health Insurance

EHIC card (E111)

2nd warning triangle for Spain

Amend:

Breathalyser kit not really needed in France (but they are cheap)

Fire extinguisher not a legal requirement.

If you are going for more than a couple of weeks you will need to check the occupancy rules of your home insurance.

Also, worth making photocopies of your key documents in case the originals are lost/stolen.

Enjoy the trip :)

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

For France only one High Viz vest for driver is legally required.

knarf

I forgot 1st Aid Kit, that is a legal requirement here in Germany

I forgot 1st Aid Kit, that is a legal requirement here in Germany

According to the AA only for German registered vehicles.

"Other rules/requirements in Germany It’s not actually compulsory for visiting motorists to carry a warning triangle but it’s recommend that you do, as all drivers must signal their vehicle in case of breakdown, and it is a compulsory requirement for German residents. It isn’t compulsory to carry a first aid kit or a reflective jacket but it’s recommended as they are compulsory in German-registered vehicles. It’s recommended that you carry a spare bulb kit."

knarf

Europäisches Ausland Warnwestenpflicht Bußgeld bei Missachtung (Euro) Belgien Auto und Motorrad 50,- bis 1375,- Finnland Fußgänger bei Dunkelheit - Frankreich Auto und Fahrrad 90,- Italien Auto 35,- bis 140,- Kroatien Auto und Motorrad ab 50,- Norwegen Auto (in N zugelassen) situationsbedingt Österreich Auto (Alle Insassen) 14,- bis 2180,- Portugal Auto und Motorrad (in P zugelassen) 60,- bis 600,- Schweden gewerbliche Fahrzeuge ab 40,- Spanien Auto (alle Insassen) bis zu 91,-

It's in German but you should basically carry a warning vest for all occupants of a vehicle in Germany, Spain & Austria.

Bussgeld means fine. Its a €15 fine here.

Better to have 'stuff' you might not need than not having it and ending up being fined

http://www. bussgeld-info. de/warnwestenpflicht/

Two triangles if towing and a minimum of one High viz vest is required for Spain.

knarf

In France its just the driver and i thought the rest of europe was the same.

No, you will find passengers need one also. It is a sensible addition.

It is a sensible practice but it isn't law.

knarf

Why the obsession about minimum legal requirements?

After an accident/breakdown, the best place for ALL the occupants is outside the car at a safe distance - so how can Hi-Viz for only the driver be a good idea - never mind the legal requirements.

• Like 3

Agreed, but why don't posters state that it is a sensible precaution rather than, "you must"?

There are so many misleading posts that indicate that something is compulsory i. e. one English site for France says that you must carry spare spectacles if you wear contact lenses.

knarf

I agree but i think if you are pulled over the actual law only requires one to be inside the vehicle for the driver.

There is a separate law which states anyone on the hard shoulder needs to be wearing a hi-viz vest though but you cannot be fined for not having one for every occupant if its a random check by the police.

As i understand it.

Headlight Adaptors

Strictly speaking, headlight adapters are illegal in Germany unless they carry a type approval mark, which I don't believe any do.

Edited by Lutz

100 Km/h sticker with 'Bundesland' official sticker if you want to drive @ 100 Km with a caravan in Germany, otherwise you're limited to 80 Km/h. Here's how. ............ https://www. tuev-nord. de/en/private/traffic/car-motorcycle-caravan/100kmh-approval-for-caravans/

Hardly worth the hassle. I've never heard of anyone actually being pulled over for doing 100km/h without the sticker although strictly speaking you are correct. In any case, I have my doubts whether a German vehicle licensing office will issue a 100km/h sticker for a UK caravan because they will want to enter the details in the vehicle log book which, of course, a UK caravan won't have.

Edited by Lutz
  • Like 1

Strictly speaking, headlight adapters are illegal in Germany unless they carry a type approval mark, which I don't believe any do.

So it's better to dazzle on-coming traffic? I always fit a set when I drive to

UK

Hardly worth the hassle. I've never heard of anyone actually being pulled over for doing 100km/h without the sticker although strictly speaking you are correct. In any case, I have my doubts whether a German vehicle licensing office will issue a 100km/h sticker for a UK caravan because they will want to enter the details in the vehicle log book which, of course, a UK caravan won't have.

I've heard of Brits doing it in Aachen and I've seen British caravans in the Eifel with the official NRW sticker

A lot of Dutch caravaners do it too

Different countries have different regulations and no one size fits all . Most EU countries require a square red and white overhang board fitted and in some countries these can be plastic like Spain and nip over the boarder into Portugal and they require them in Aluminium . Spain require length plates over 12 m outfit . Some have Speed camera detection illegal and some have dash cam restrictions and Holland have restrictions on looping a break away over the towball .

You need to do bit of research on the country you are visiting

Dave

• Like 1

If you wear glasses you are required to have a spare pair with you in France.

• Like 1

If you wear glasses you are required to have a spare pair with you in France.

Really? I didn't know that, do sunglasses count? :)