Sign in to follow this  
Tin_Snail

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Camping By-laws Come Into Force

http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-39117802

New seasonal by-laws have come into force restricting camping around Loch Lomond and in the Trossachs.
Camping in four management zones in popular areas between March and September will require a permit or booking a campsite pitch.

• Like 1

I've just read the same :mellow:

Yet again, Draconian measures having to be enforced because of the irresponsible minority.

• Like 3

Having seen a bit of what is going on We could see there was a problem, even from the road side. We have friends living near one of the areas and they have told how the place is being spoiled. What a shame.

Its a shame that its had to happen but you cant blame them taking this measure, as any where you go there is all ways some one who has to spoil the areas with rubbish & inconsiderate use, & they are not all Travelers,

Even on CMC & C&C site people leave litter around instead of using the Bins

we stopped in a lay-by near Glasgow a few years ago on route to Fortwilliam & a local car stopped with 4 adult's in,& they threw their rubbish out the window a drove off, drink cartons & chip wrappers

We were outside Aberfeldy New Year before last, there were 2 m/homes and a caravan pulled onto the verge,looked as if they had been there a while but the waste bin at the roadside was overflowing,occupants didn't look like 'travelers'....on way back via Lake of Menteith there were two tents on verges. .........of course 'wild camping' has been allowed for years in Scotland.

geoff

A van was in one of the larger shore side lay byes for nearly 3 months before it moved last year. Passed it regularly on my way down to Campbeltown. To be fair it was all neat and tidy but still naughty. ...

Aye, and as stated on the news it's only a tiny minority who cause this large amount of rubbish and don't have toilet facilities.

New laws are ok but who has the bottle to enforce them??

To me it's like fly tipping, I believe that covert cameras should be used, the kind that wildlife photographers use, triggered by movement, the registration numbers taken and the offending vehicle confiscated and sold to pay cleanup costs, Our beautifuful countryside is being made to look like a tip because of the inconsiderate few. Make the punishment so severe that they won't do it again. ...Peter

• Like 2

Loch Lomond has been totally wasted by a tiny minority of idiots,the loch itself ruined by random speed limits.

The root cause being jetskis driven by morons in 2 feet of water at 30 mph amongst kids paddling.

So they put in random speed restrictions,I kid you not, you can drive your boat at up to 56mph through a section of loch not more than 2 feet deep, legally, yet are restricted to 5mph in parts that are 200 feet deep.

After 35 years of having various boats I sold up, too much hassle and not so much fun.

As for the wild camping,similar idiots trashing the place and ruining it for the silent majority.

Add in obnoxious wardens on a site I used for 20 years,and it's time to give the place a wide berth.

Don't let my opinion put you off if your a tourist, it's still worth seeing,just don't plan on going waterskiing or wild camping!

;)

• Like 1

Whilst there is no excuse for littering and leaving filth behind, don't you think that the loch side could have been developed better, yet still sympathetically, over the years?

You have to consider that this area is on the door step of Scotlands largest populated corridor----got to give the Weegies somewhere to go at weekends.

Regarding Loch Lomond/Trossachs, just heard through the grapevine that the Luss Caravan and Camping Club site is to close in 2 or 3 years. The land owners Luss Estates are planning on upgarding to lodges etc. , (glamping) allegedly. Regarding the rubbish etc. , we lived near there for 10 years and the rubbish situation is just as bad as it ever was.

Well I drove via Crainlarich on the Loch Lomond side yesterday and seen very little overflowing Lay-by dustbins etc. What I did see however on more than one occasion was plastic car bumpers left at the roadside from previous RTC's. Don't think it is as bad as it used to be and I for one would ban wild camping of any type . ...

Well I drove via Crainlarich on the Loch Lomond side yesterday and seen very little overflowing Lay-by dustbins etc. What I did see however on more than one occasion was plastic car bumpers left at the roadside from previous RTC's. Don't think it is as bad as it used to be and I for one would ban wild camping of any type . ...

Like most things in life, wild camping attracts a monirity of the "wrong" sort of people - a ban likely to be ignored by that minority so only restrict the majority who do have respect for the environment.

Wild camping is encouraged by local communities in the less populated areas as it bring welcome tourist income - so maybe the law should be changed to outlaw wild camping - but only outside the "crofting counties", essentially the old Highland region

• Like 1

Like most things in life, wild camping attracts a monirity of the "wrong" sort of people - a ban likely to be ignored by that minority so only restrict the majority who do have respect for the environment.

Wild camping is encouraged by local communities in the less populated areas as it bring welcome tourist income - so maybe the law should be changed to outlaw wild camping - but only outside the "crofting counties", essentially the old Highland region

I don't think it does bring in that much income BG as you suggest or maybe very little. In my experience the Wild Camping fraternity come prepared with there cheap booze and also bring their own scran in some cases. It's only Johnny Foreigner who is daft enough to pay the over exaggerated prices that I recently witnessed in some establishments. An absolute disgrace due to simple greed. .. Did Ben Nevis last week and the litter I witnessed was shocking. Folk seem to think it's ok to throw orange and banana peelings on the ground but it can take up to six months to biodegrade. A wet wipe takes less time to disintegrate. On the spot fines should be proposed as the tourists are simply ignoring the message. .....

• Like 3

We;re in Germany just now and the the UK could take a leaf out of German standard of living, that goes for everything we've driven more than 3000 miles. Not a bit of litter anywhere in public places. Well impressed with the roads too.

• Like 4

We;re in Germany just now and the the UK could take a leaf out of German standard of living, that goes for everything we've driven more than 3000 miles. Not a bit of litter anywhere in public places. Well impressed with the roads too.

Was in Singapore last year and must admit must be the cleanest city in the world by far. Population just seem to care. ... and the heavy fines. ...

• Like 1

Was in Singapore last year and must admit must be the cleanest city in the world by far. Population just seem to care. . . . and the heavy fines. . . .

It's a culture thing - here, we seem to think it's someone else's job to do everything.

• Like 2

We had 2 weeks touring Denmark a few years ago. . Never saw any litter or graffiti . Beautiful country. Never saw anybody wild camping either, no motorhomes or tents.

Edited by bessacarr425

We live just off the NC500, and you should speak to many of the locals about motorhomers 'wild camping' and the problems that it is causing!

I was at Cromarty last year, a very beautiful village on the Cromarty Firth. There is a large 'village' green alongside the firth. Motorhomers 'wild camping' have caused problems with noise, litter and disposal of waste, so the Community Council have put up signs stating that overnight parking is not permitted and also stating that if this continues the gates to the area will be locked at night.

A few days after I was there I was taking to a couple in a large MH who were legitimately parked up in a 'BritStop'. They told me that they had spent the previous two nights parked up at Cromarty in the aforementioned 'village green', along with several other MHs. I asked them if they saw the sign about no overnight parking and they said 'the locals don't really mind'! If they didn't mind they wouldn't have put up the notices!!!

I've not been over there this year so far, so I don't know if the area is still open. If it isn't then you can blame MH owners ignoring the wishes of the local population.

Now back to 'wild camping'. There is no right for people in a motorhome to 'wild camp' in Scotland. Read this to see what is defined as 'wild' or 'informal camping'. Access to land is legal (in most circumstances) by foot, bicycle or horse - NOT in a motorised vehicle. You are not allowed to drive on private land in Scotland, this includes your car, a 4x4 or a motorhome, without the permission of the landowner.

Many so called 'wild camping' spots in the Highlands and particularly around the NC500 are circulated widely on the internet and some are suffering a plague of motorhomes parked up and causing problems. I appreciate that many are responsible and do not dump their waste illegally. I have however spoken to motorhomers who told me that they dump their toilet waste 'out of the way' behind bushes! :angry: In the past when there were fewer motorhomes on the roads the occasional MH 'wild camping' was ignored, it may not be for much longer.

We want and encourage responsible visitors up here. I am the Director of a business that relies on tourists and we are a BritStop. It is sad that just has happened in the Loch Lomond area some people don't give a toss about the environment and spoiling it for others and some are spoiling it for visitors to our area.

BTW I have mentioned MHs a lot, but we do not seem to have a problem with holiday makers 'wild camping' with caravans.

BH

Edited by Blackhart

We live just off the NC500, and you should speak to many of the locals about motorhomers 'wild camping' and the problems that it is causing!

I was at Cromarty last year, a very beautiful village on the Cromarty Firth. There is a large 'village' green alongside the firth. Motorhomers 'wild camping' have caused problems with noise, litter and disposal of waste, so the Community Council have put up signs stating that overnight parking is not permitted and also stating that if this continues the gates to the area will be locked at night.

A few days after I was there I was taking to a couple in a large MH who were legitimately parked up in a 'BritStop'. They told me that they had spent the previous two nights parked up at Cromarty in the aforementioned 'village green', along with several other MHs. I asked them if they saw the sign about no overnight parking and they said 'the locals don't really mind'! If they didn't mind they wouldn't have put up the notices!!!

I've not been over there this year so far, so I don't know if the area is still open. If it isn't then you can blame MH owners ignoring the wishes of the local population.

Now back to 'wild camping'. There is no right for people in a motorhome to 'wild camp' in Scotland. Read this to see what is defined as 'wild' or 'informal camping'. Access to land is legal (in most circumstances) by foot, bicycle or horse - NOT in a motorised vehicle. You are not allowed to drive on private land in Scotland, this includes your car, a 4x4 or a motorhome, without the permission of the landowner.

Many so called 'wild camping' spots in the Highlands and particularly around the NC500 are circulated widely on the internet and some are suffering a plague of motorhomes parked up and causing problems. I appreciate that many are responsible and do not dump their waste illegally. I have however spoken to motorhomers who told me that they dump their toilet waste 'out of the way' behind bushes! :angry: In the past when there were fewer motorhomes on the roads the occasional MH 'wild camping' was ignored, it may not be for much longer.

We want and encourage responsible visitors up here. I am the Director of a business that relies on tourists and we are a BritStop. It is sad that just has happened in the Loch Lomond area some people don't give a toss about the environment and spoiling it for others and some are spoiling it for visitors to our area.

BTW I have mentioned MHs a lot, but we do not seem to have a problem with holiday makers 'wild camping' with caravans.

BH

We had a solo trip up to the North Coast, staying at the Strathy Inn - wild campers were welcomed in the pub as well as the hotel up the road - the local community has built eco-friendly toilets just back from the beach incorporating an open area inside - it's used by the wild campers in the dunes, including sleeping inside like a mountain bothy when the weather's bad as well as motorhomers staying in the car park - no sign of any litter - there was a caravan with a couple of tents wild camping by the river, again kept spotless.

I suspect that generally caravanners aren't prepared to use the rough tracks to get to sensible places to wild camp.

"No overnight parking" and "no overnight camping" signs have no legal force in Scotland and local authorities have been advised to remove them - many have been.

Edited by Black Grouse

I hope it never gets as bad as some beaches in Spain and Portugal,and in many back and side streets in towns.
Some beaches I've attempted to walk are now utterly filthy,I have met many motorhomes where the owners claim never to go on a
Campsite except to do their washing in the camp laundry!
And when on a campsite,winter,I have seen motorhomes come,and do their washing over three days,non stop,and even wash the dogs beds.
Other campers cannot get to the facilities for days, then they push off!
Always motorhomers,never vanners,
I was a m,homer for years,never carried on like some.

Mod comment:

Bad language removed

On 01/03/2017 at 13:51, Tin_Snail said:

http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-39117802

New seasonal by-laws have come into force restricting camping around Loch Lomond and in the Trossachs.
Camping in four management zones in popular areas between March and September will require a permit or booking a campsite pitch.

Not fair.