Just Ordered A Peugeot 3008 Suv

I've been on the look out for a new tow car to replace my 2012 Peugeot 4007 which has been great but has done 54k miles and the clutch has started slipping (main oil seal problem).

I've been looking for a suitable replacement for about 6 months and considered an Outlander PHEV but really wasn't overly happy with its limitations (1500kg max tow, 5 seats, high price, poor fuel economy when towing)

I saw the advert for the new 3008 SUV and had a look quick look at the specs and to my surprise the 2. 0L diesel is capable of pulling up to 2000kgs, the same as my 4007.

I went to the dealer and took one for a test drive (1. 6L diesel) and I was smitten, the car looks fantastic. The car is a massive leap forward for Peugeot and looks and feels more like an Audi/BMW with its large customisable LCD display instead of standard dials and centre mounted Sat NAV/Infotainment screen.

Just got to wait 12 weeks for it to be delivered :(

Model ordered: 3008 SUV GT Line 2. 0L Diesel Manual 6 speed gearbox in Black with Detachable Tow Bar, Motorised Boot, Roof Bars and 230v power socket.

Edited by ribs99
  • Like 2

There was a similar model,also black, in golf club car park this morning. ..very smart looking and attracted much attention. Pity it is ten times more than my budget as have had three Pugs and found them decent cars.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

There was a similar model,also black, in golf club car park this morning. ..very smart looking and attracted much attention. Pity it is ten times more than my budget as have had three Pugs and found them decent cars.

geoff

It certainly is a head turner. I never set out to buy a new car but as the 3008 SUV was only released in December/January the used car market is non existent. This will only be the 2nd new car I have ever owned, the last one was a 2004 Peugeot 307 which we only kept for a year because it was so basic.

I have had Peugeot's for the last 20 years and have no complaints.

Edited by ribs99

Nice looking car, I had a 407 Estate as a company car in 1992 with the 2. 1 Diesel Engine, I found it a great towcar for the van we had at that time, so good luck, pity you have to wait for so long, (hope your clutch holds out until then !!)

• Like 1

Les

Nice looking car, I had a 407 Estate as a company car in 1992 with the 2. 1 Diesel Engine, I found it a great towcar for the van we had at that time, so good luck, pity you have to wait for so long, (hope your clutch holds out until then !!)

Thanks Les. I'm hoping the clutch will last, it should be fine as we have no holidays booked until July so won't be using the van until then and I'll use the wifes car for now. Clutch only slips when you floor it in a high gear but I'm sure the seal is leaking because I've just had a low oil warning come up. I topped it up with the dribble I had in the garage and that's got rid of the warning :o

Certainly looks the part, a huge improvement on the older model and i would imagine would see a lot more younger drivers consider it as a family car. The old one was a cracking all rounder but my god what a boring heap to look at.

Hope you enjoy it :)

• Like 1

Nice car, it'll share lots of the same features as my C4GP, so I know you'll enjoy it.

• Like 1

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Certainly looks the part, a huge improvement on the older model and i would imagine would see a lot more younger drivers consider it as a family car. The old one was a cracking all rounder but my god what a boring heap to look at.

Hope you enjoy it :)

I totally agree with you about the previous 3008, I think I looked at it for towing but the max towing limit was too low.

I did consider holding out for the new 5008 SUV but looking at it now I think I made the right choice, yes 7 seats is nice to have but I can probably count on one hand the times we've used these in our 4007.

I'm on my second Peugeot 308SW, think you did right to go for a bigger engine as my first was 1. 6 112 bhp and towed well but present one 1. 6 120 bhp is only just ok towing.

I've found Peugeot to be ok for me.

A thing I do not like about present one is the lack of a normal handbrake it has electric parking brake, I feel a lack of confidence in it when stopped on a hill waiting for trafic to move in front of me when starting off again I feel unhappy if someone right up behind me.

Your new you say has a 230V socket what is that about please?

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

I'm on my second Peugeot 308SW, think you did right to go for a bigger engine as my first was 1. 6 112 bhp and towed well but present one 1. 6 120 bhp is only just ok towing.

I've found Peugeot to be ok for me.

A thing I do not like about present one is the lack of a normal handbrake it has electric parking brake, I feel a lack of confidence in it when stopped on a hill waiting for trafic to move in front of me when starting off again I feel unhappy if someone right up behind me.

Your new you say has a 230V socket what is that about please?

I had a 307SW for many years and loved it, I only changed to the 4007 because of getting the caravan.

I'm not sure why you don't like the electric parking brake, combined with hill assist it makes pulling away on a hill a breeze. If you put the parking brake on when stopped on a hill you just accelerate away and the parking brake comes off automatically making it almost impossible to roll back.

I had a 508SW for a short time and this had both hill assist and electric parking brake and the hill assist worked even with a caravan on the back and pulling out from a steep incline.

We added the 230v power socket on the car only by accident as the sales person sold us the wireless charging option when it was included as standard so rather than get money back I just told him to add the 230v socket instead as it was the same price. The socket is useful for charging my laptop and other small devices, it's only a small invertor so no good for high power devices (like hair straighteners :)

I had a 307SW for many years and loved it, I only changed to the 4007 because of getting the caravan.

I'm not sure why you don't like the electric parking brake, combined with hill assist it makes pulling away on a hill a breeze. If you put the parking brake on when stopped on a hill you just accelerate away and the parking brake comes off automatically making it almost impossible to roll back.

I had a 508SW for a short time and this had both hill assist and electric parking brake and the hill assist worked even with a caravan on the back and pulling out from a steep incline.

We added the 230v power socket on the car only by accident as the sales person sold us the wireless charging option when it was included as standard so rather than get money back I just told him to add the 230v socket instead as it was the same price. The socket is useful for charging my laptop and other small devices, it's only a small invertor so no good for high power devices (like hair straighteners :)

Slightly off subject but we seem to see more inverters now in cars as standard with 230v outlet so I just wondered are these full sine wave inverters or just cheap add-on .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Slightly off subject but we seem to see more inverters now in cars as standard with 230v outlet so I just wondered are these full sine wave inverters or just cheap add-on .

Dave

For £100+vat I don't expect it to be anything too fancy.

Edited by ribs99

I think it probably me not feeling confident really.

It has the ECO function as well so stood on a hill the engine is stopped and I'm holding on foot brake, parking brake is off.

Edited by David Park

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Slightly OT I know, and I do hope that you enjoy your new wheels, but I do wish that manufacturers wouldn't advertise cars with a kerbweight of e. g. 1596kg as having a 2000kg towing limit.

We can argue all day about whether 85% is correct guidance or nowadays 100% or a bit more would do, but 125% ratio with a caravan isn't a safe combination (IMHO). PSA may be quite correct that the 3008 can manage a 2 tonne trailer in perfect conditions with the weight down low, but the buyers of these cars won't in general be pulling that type of load - they'll be pulling a caravan, a hollow box with slab sides.

Experienced people like those who frequent this board will know that 2000kg is a marketing pitch that shouldn't be attempted in the real world with a caravan, but it worries me that newbies will take that number at face value and set out with an unsafe combo.

Slightly OT I know, and I do hope that you enjoy your new wheels, but I do wish that manufacturers wouldn't advertise cars with a kerbweight of e. g. 1596kg as having a 2000kg towing limit.

We can argue all day about whether 85% is correct guidance or nowadays 100% or a bit more would do, but 125% ratio with a caravan isn't a safe combination (IMHO). PSA may be quite correct that the 3008 can manage a 2 tonne trailer in perfect conditions with the weight down low, but the buyers of these cars won't in general be pulling that type of load - they'll be pulling a caravan, a hollow box with slab sides.

Experienced people like those who frequent this board will know that 2000kg is a marketing pitch that shouldn't be attempted in the real world with a caravan, but it worries me that newbies will take that number at face value and set out with an unsafe combo.

Very narrow view, i know plenty of people that tow heavier loads than their caravan with a standard car. ...myself included.

Thinking about it i know loads of people that tow close to their max weight with standard trailers and dont even own a caravan.

Edited by tom_1989

What's quite interesting is the original copy of the manual states much lower limits for the 2. 0L BlueHDi Manual:

Kerb Weight: 1500 kgs

Braked trailer: 1650 kgs

The revised version upped it to:

Kerb Weight: 1500 kgs

Braked trailer: 2000 kgs

I'll be towing a 1500 kgs van so it should be a pretty good match. The car also has some clever electronics to keep everything in check when towing and the caravan also has ATC so I have all the latest whizz bang gadgets to help me tow safely :)

I know what you mean though, you could go buy this car and look at the manual and see it can tow 2 ton and then go off and buy a big twin axle caravan. A 1500 kg car pulling a 2000kg caravan doesn't sound like a great idea.

Edited by ribs99

Very narrow view, i know plenty of people that tow heavier loads than their caravan with a standard car. ...myself included.

Thinking about it i know loads of people that tow close to their max weight with standard trailers and dont even own a caravan.

Yes, but take a look on the motorway and see how many cars pulling heavy trailers vs pulling caravans: the latter dominate. It wouldn't be so bad if they at least put a note to that effect.

Should Land Rover also refrain from using a 3500kg towing limit when the kerbweight is under 3 tonnes? Not picking on LR as the other good SUVs have a 3500kg limit as well.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

As usual this is going right off topic and as always seems to be the case on this forum it has started turning in to an argument about towing safety.

I'll unsubscribe from this topic now as I don't think anything constructive will now be mentioned about the Peugeot 3008 SUV.

• Like 3

Should Land Rover also refrain from using a 3500kg towing limit when the kerbweight is under 3 tonnes? Not picking on LR as the other good SUVs have a 3500kg limit as well.

Tbh, I don't particularly like that either, but there's more defence there because you do see an awful lot of LRs pulling horse boxes, car transporter trailers etc etc. You don't tend to find "conventional" cars/SUV doing so to the same degree. You also don't find many caravans that are over 100% of the kerbweight of a Discovery to make it material either.

My sensitivity on this was within the last few days I saw a facebook post of someone buying a 3008 to pull their U3 Cartagena on the basis of that 2000kg limit. That'd make a 113% match (assuming the plate upgrade that's sensible for the U3), yet the poster thought it was going to be a good match on the basis of PSA's spec.

None of this is a criticism of the 3008 or the OP's choice for his van, which is a good match.

Edited by Disco4

I agree, and if my first caravan dealer I bought from is anything to go by, they'll quite happily sell you one too!

Jon