Hello all, could anyone offer advice on a proposed trip to Lake Garda?

Route from Kiel in northern Germany through Austria to Lake Garda.

Might also have a look at the Black Forest area in Germany on the way.

Other than a Vignete for Austria, anything else required?

Thought perhaps a campsite on the northern section of the lake, less far to travel, is it as nice at that end of the lake?

Can anyone suggest a good campsite, we are about 12 m long?

What's the weather likely to be at that time, last week in April to first 2 weeks in may?

Thanks in anticipation, Paul.

Your route from Kiel to Garda via Austria is fairly straightforward, take the A7 all the way through Germany towards Fussen near the Austrian border, then through the Fern pass and join the Brenner motorway and in to Italy, where you can access the northern end of Lake Garda a short distance from the motorway. The only thing here is that the Black Forest isn't exactly on the way. You could leave the A7 near Wurzburg and head down to the Black Forest, but from there the most direct way into Italy would be via Switzerland rather than Austria. You wouldn't be passing Garda, but you could easily get there, or start at one of the other lakes?

Garda gets very busy at times, although as you are intending to travel out of season this shouldn't be such a problem. When you say your outfit is 12m long, are you meaning a 5m car plus 7m caravan? The north end of Garda is less developed than the south, but this of course means fewer sites. Our caravan is a similar size, and while Italian sites typically have smaller pitches than here I don't expect you should have any great problem finding a site with space at that time of year. I would hesitate to recommend a site without knowing what your interests are. I'm guessing from the time you are travelling that you aren't travelling with school age children?

As for weather, in northern Italy at that time of year it can be mixed, but in early May you stand a good chance of getting some decent warm days. Around the lakes it should be fairly mild, although you could expect some rain, and mornings and evenings could be cool. The surrounding mountains are likely to still have snow although that shouldn't trouble you at lake level.

Pete, thanks for the info.

Car 4. 5 m and caravan 7. 1, Black forest not important.

Both retired so, just us, not going to book anything yet, travel will be leisurely, cheers, Paul.

Another reason for forgetting the Black Forest this year is the closure of the Arlberg Tunnel from 24th April to 02nd October main route connecting the Tyrol from the Vorarlberg which is not far from the border into Germany, to Bodensee and the Black Forest. Next year it will all be open again.

Can give you a good route to Garda if you wish to email me at dvphillips14@hotmail. com. More info on website in mt signature below.

snooks

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

Hi Paul, As already said I would head for Fussen and the Fern pass but an alternative would be to not use the Brenner and instead head for Prutz and then onto the Reisa Pas into Italy which is totally toll free until Bolzano

We are vanners but in 2015 used this route as our travelling companions have a 4. 2 tonne Autotrail and did not want to use the GoBox that is required and looking into the alternatives this route, recommended bit others on the Caravan Club forum, fitted the bill.

If we were travelling alone we would have considered the Brenner, as the cost is not high, but one thing that put us off was that there are very long stretches, on the Italian motorway South, where caravans cannot overtake and it can be frustrating.

The route via the Fern and Reisa was one of the best trips we have had, and made a nice change from the usual motorways etc, and there were no issues at all in regard to the passes.

If you do consider this route than make sure you head for Prutz via Landeck town and not the Landecker tunnel as that does require a vignette.

In regard to sites we have only stayed at the South end in Peschiera del Garda and there are lots of sites but, again as said by others, it is difficult to recommend without knowing your preferences.

The site we use is Camping Bella Italia which is best described as big and busy but, due to the layout, it somehow does not feel like some other sites, but there are lots of sites to choose from so I am sure that you will find something to suit.

BI has the advantage of being directly on the lake and that you can walk to the town with its ferry terminal, train station etc and, much to my wife's delight, even get a British newspaper.

There is a supermarket about half a mile away but the one on site is probably the best we have seen and the restaurants and other facilities are on the lines of the 'Camping Village' as opposed to a site.

Venice is about 90 minutes away and Verona about 30 minutes and the bus stops at the site gate so that another option-we sometimes walk to Sirmione and get the bus back for example.

En route we used Camping Aktiv in Prutz Austria-a lovely site with great facilities and right on the route, and Camping Christoporous at Altenstadt in Germany which was again very convenient and the meal we had there was excellent.

This site was also a ideal distance for us after leaving Garda and heading home and we had lunch in Prutz enroute to it parked at the Spar supermarket after filling up with the, at that time very cheap Austrian diesel,again in prutz.

Wherever you do end up have a great holiday.

Hi

Ex Italian tour guide and Lago di Garda addict speaking.

We always stay at the southern end, better weather, more sun. The Northern end falls into the shade quite early on due to the moutains. Also, in the afternoon, a fairly strong wind called the Bora blows up the lake, strong around Limone, Riva and Torbole. We left Peschiera in the south, baking hot in the morning. Two hours later at Riva, we needed a jacket on.

We have stayed at loads of sites around Garda, and our summary is here.

Lake Garda campsites 2011 onwards

Russ

• Like 1

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Once again, thanks for all the replies, some very useful information here.

We will be in the Gothenburg area for 2 weeks at the start of our trip, got all this sorted, going for a very special occasion, something to do with our daughter making her home there, permanently, can't hardly flipping wait, . :)

I like the idea of heading for the southern edge of the lake, somehow the warmer weather sounds encouraging, particularly after the cold north.

We have in the past camped in the Italian Alps around the beginning of May and whilst warm during the day, was below freezing at night.

Going to study form with your route suggestions now, regards, Paul.

Russ has shown that there is always a flip side.

On our first visit to Garda in the van the temperature was in the mid to 30c most of the time and we still remember what a relief it was to walk around Riva where there was a breeze.

We usually visit Riva when on Garda, sometimes during our favourite drive up around Monte Baldo and at other times just to stroll and have a meal and just thinking about it makes me realise that it's just one of the lovely places to see.

Whilst not wishing my time away I am now thinking of our planned 2018 visit.

• Like 1

Russ has shown that there is always a flip side.

On our first visit to Garda in the van the temperature was in the mid to 30c most of the time and we still remember what a relief it was to walk around Riva where there was a breeze.

We usually visit Riva when on Garda, sometimes during our favourite drive up around Monte Baldo and at other times just to stroll and have a meal and just thinking about it makes me realise that it's just one of the lovely places to see.

Whilst not wishing my time away I am now thinking of our planned 2018 visit.

We can only agree with you. We discovered Riva view Secret Escapes (sorry, not a caravan trip) in August 2015. We literally booked and travelled a week later. Riva is a lovely town, and a good base to walk from

The lunchtime breeze was very welcome.

We also loved travelling on the various ferries to different villages/towns on the shores of the lake.

Edited by MillieDog

As a side issue, the strong wind makes the northern towns a windsurfers paradise. You can almost tell the time by the wind.

Russ

• Like 1

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.