Sign in to follow this  
Vallumlj

Running Costs For A Caravan

Hi all hopefully just about to buy our first caravan not taken into consideration Fuel or the cost of the caravan do you think 1. 5K a year should covering the following

Insurance

Storage

Gas

Service

Bit's and Pieces

Many thanks

Yes but!

Storage costs vary and can be very high depending on where you live.

Gas, how many nights without hookup and what time of year.

Bits and pieces, likely to be high in first season, and needs willpower to keep under control!

• Like 3

Yes, provided you do not have any high expense problems! ;)

Depends a bit on your area, and the value of the caravan, but sounds ok.

For my 2002 caravan, in Bristol, I pay:

£425/year for secure outdoor storage.

£72/year insurance (it was about £150-£160 when I had a 'guaranteed value' policy, now I've owned the caravan for 6 years I can only get a 'market value' policy, but the policy is much cheaper). A newer caravan will be much more expensive to insure. These prices are with the Camping and Caravanning Club (you don't need to be a member). I've found them much cheaper than the Caravan Club, and I've had one claim that was handled very well.

£230-£240 for the annual service (I'm looking into getting a cheaper independent mobile engineer for the next service).

2 bottles of gas a year (at £24 each): a 6kg bottle lasts me for 10-14 days of off-grid caravanning, running fridge, oven and an hour or so of heating each night.

Then small amounts for toilet chemicals (a £10 bottle lasts me a year or two), shampoo for washing it, etc. Most other consumables are things I'd buy for home anyway, so I don't regard them as caravan expenses.

But you'll really need to get quotes for insuring your specific caravan, and research storage in your area, as these can vary a lot, and can make up the bulk of the expense!

funnily i have worked tis out this morning. Insurance, servicing, storage cost me £1000 a year. Storage is via CASSoA Gold. Van is under warranty though so i don't put any extra aside for repairs right now but that will need to be factored in as it gets older.

I agree, it's about £1000 and that's without extra's, then you add the site fees and the fuel and days out etc. It's not a cheap holiday, but it's sooo good. ..enjoy :D

• Like 1

If Richard Loxleys post and calculations are correct, I'm doing something wrong! 2 x 6kG gas bottles per year and 1 x 2litre Elsan Blue 2 years? Our average yearly camping nights over the last 5 years 85 nights per year, 2/3rds are either THS or DA meets, so yes gas will be higher usage, but even if Richard uses full facility sites on EHU mainly, surely you still use the loo in the 'van? Or are you that whiffy unit at the far end of the field?

If Richard Loxleys post and calculations are correct, I'm doing something wrong! 2 x 6kG gas bottles per year and 1 x 2litre Elsan Blue 2 years? Our average yearly camping nights over the last 5 years 85 nights per year, 2/3rds are either THS or DA meets, so yes gas will be higher usage, but even if Richard uses full facility sites on EHU mainly, surely you still use the loo in the 'van? Or are you that whiffy unit at the far end of the field?

Use of consumables varies enormously. Gas for heating four weeks in the summer uses nothing like March and October. Many THS and rally fields have toilet and shower blocks with big savings on toilet chemicals and water heating, particularly if they never use the facilities in the van.

Use of consumables varies enormously. Gas for heating four weeks in the summer uses nothing like March and October. Many THS and rally fields have toilet and shower blocks with big savings on toilet chemicals and water heating, particularly if they never use the facilities in the van.

We always use EHU so 6kg LPG lasts us several years and use bio-washing liquid instead of high-priced caravan toilet chemicals so our consumable cost is under £10/year.

Caravan is kept at home so no storage costs - insurance is £263 as we're still on New-For-Old for 5 years so based on replacement cost - AWS servicing at £189 - so a total of about £460/year.

We only managed 41 nights away last year but a good year is around 150 - so those fixed costs are £3-11/night - plus of course depreciation.

Generally I have three trips of 4 nights, 13 nights and 9 nights through the year (for specific events). Only the 13 night event has a chemical disposal point, so I have to use the provided facilities for the other two events. Even when I have access to a chemical disposal point I only use the toilet for night-time wees (and there's only me in the van) so don't have to empty it very often!

For us, as newcomers, our first year has cost us a fortune. We've bought a new van, air awning, and everything else we need.

In basic terms, I reckon c£1000 will comfortably cover our storage, insurance, servicing and consumables.

As ongoing costs, the more we use the van, the better value it becomes. Hoping for about 60-65 nights this year. Not much compared to some, but we're both working, and I cover a lot of weekend shifts.

Our costs are:

Insurance £290

Storage £380 (but it is on site, when stored on a remote storage site it was £300)

Caravan Club membership £50

Gas & odds and ends £25

Approved Workshop Scheme annual service (mobile) £170

Total £915

However in your first year you may well find additional items to buy (Aquaroll, Wastemaster, hoses, etc). Then there's the possible cost of an awning, clothes airer, outdoor chairs, additional cooking equipment, cutlery, crockery, bedding, towels, the list goes on.

I'm joining your DA if many DA meets have EHU and facilities, either that or I can put our site secretary in touch!

I'm joining your DA if many DA meets have EHU and facilities, either that or I can put our site secretary in touch!

We are not in CC! Smaller organisations often use rally fields attached to commercial sites, or farms that have well equipped CLs.

Once you've got all your essentials (awning, pegs, ropes, bbq, stools, tables etc) 1. 5k is more than enough in my opinion

Insurance - I pay €450 a year fully comp but I don't live in the UK

Storage - I'm very lucky, I can leave it in an empty heated hangar at work for free (would otherwise cost €600 a year)

Gas - 2 x 11 Kg bottles a year (not even sure how much it is, lets say €100)

Service & Damp Check - €100

Bit's and Pieces - €200 (I'm forever buying stuff)

+

CC Membership £49

So for me €850 a year which is about £700 a year (+ CC membership, which you don't have to have) :)

However, site fees, Ferry tickets, Fuel & Road Tolls probably come to at least £4000 per year :(

Caravanning certainly ain't cheap but we get loads of weekends away, 2 full weeks away in Spain and 2 in the UK each year and its great fun for all the family. Take the family to Florida for a fortnight and you'll spend the same.

We always use EHU so 6kg LPG lasts us several years and use bio-washing liquid instead of high-priced caravan toilet chemicals so our consumable cost is under £10/year.

Caravan is kept at home so no storage costs - insurance is £263 as we're still on New-For-Old for 5 years so based on replacement cost - AWS servicing at £189 - so a total of about £460/year.

We only managed 41 nights away last year but a good year is around 150 - so those fixed costs are £3-11/night - plus of course depreciation.

Hi BG,

Very interesting re the Bio washing liquid in place of toilet chemicals, how much do you use per fill-up? Is it as effective and is it compatible with all types of disposal point?

Cheers

Jon

We just paid £49 for insurance with caravan and camping club and are £180 a year for storage

We just paid £49 for insurance with caravan and camping club and are £180 a year for storage

Well according to your ID you don't have a caravan, so £49 for insuring a non-existent van seems a tad expensive

• Like 1

Hi BG,

Very interesting re the Bio washing liquid in place of toilet chemicals, how much do you use per fill-up? Is it as effective and is it compatible with all types of disposal point?

Cheers

Jon

60ml a time - it breaks down the waste products very efficiently - it's as good at hiding the smell as the non-formaldehyde fluids which isn't perfect! I guess given it's low cost I could use more.

As it's a bio-product it'll carry on working in the sewage system so shouldn't cause any issues.

• Like 1

Haven't seen any mention of water pumps here yet in the lists. (Sorry if I've missed something.)

I'm still really a newbie with no experience, but our van came with a (pre-owned) Whale pump to go in the Aquaroll. It works fine, I've cleaned & sterilised it, but find received wisdom is to carry a spare in case it dies, as they're apparently prone to do, and not often repairable.

So I looked at our local supplier, who offers various Whale pumps at between £30-something to £50-something. And there is a sign urging the buyer to replace every 6 months to keep that fresh taste!
I guess this is a marketing ploy, but how often does one need to spend out on replacements in real life?

Haven't seen any mention of water pumps here yet in the lists. (Sorry if I've missed something.)

I'm still really a newbie with no experience, but our van came with a (pre-owned) Whale pump to go in the Aquaroll. It works fine, I've cleaned & sterilised it, but find received wisdom is to carry a spare in case it dies, as they're apparently prone to do, and not often repairable.

So I looked at our local supplier, who offers various Whale pumps at between £30-something to £50-something. And there is a sign urging the buyer to replace every 6 months to keep that fresh taste!

I guess this is a marketing ploy, but how often does one need to spend out on replacements in real life?

If you carry a spare pump the original wont go wrong, if you don't it will ;)

• Like 2

I think the replacement they're referring to is the filter which is part of some water connection installations, not the pump itself.

• Like 1

I think the replacement they're referring to is the filter which is part of some water connection installations, not the pump itself.

Interesting, thanks. ... The sign was clearly on the rack of pumps in this shop, however - maybe it got moved, or maybe they're just hopeful?

Meanwhile is it worth carrying a spare Whale type pump (other varieties are also available) after all, have I misunderstood?

I don't carry a spare pump even though I did once have water supply issues which I thought was the pump but after a lot of aggro turned out to be a tiny broken piece of plastic that stopped the hose plug mating properly with the socket. If you don't run them dry they can last indefinitely. However it is easy to inadvertently run them dry. As said, if you buy a spare it's almost a guarantee one will never fail and if you don't you can guarantee one will.

• Like 1

60ml a time - it breaks down the waste products very efficiently - it's as good at hiding the smell as the non-formaldehyde fluids which isn't perfect! I guess given it's low cost I could use more.

As it's a bio-product it'll carry on working in the sewage system so shouldn't cause any issues.

Thanks for the info BG, will give it a go - the OH is v sensitive to 'smells' so it will have to get her approval. ...

Jon

Sign in to follow this