Sign in to follow this  
Tourershine

West Coast Of France Recommendations Please

Cycling on the Ile de Re is second to none. The island is completely flat and there are dedicated paths galore. As well as St Martin that I mentioned initially, there are decent sites close to all the villages, the only problem being opening dates. I mentioned St Martin as it is the main town and simply spectacular. The site within the walls is a municipal, but top quality, hence the price.

• Like 1

I've e. mailed that site with what we want. We find when booking 2 pitches, it's easier to contact them directly.

If you need to phone them, they speak better English than we do. ........

It could be this one, http://www. camping-port-punay. com Looks pretty spot on.

That's the site, very convenient

Hi Paul, this may be a different take on your predicament or at least an alternative. Doubtless some folk will disagree but I think it is worth considering.

Driving some distance is a problem so why look to push to the limit when there are some lovely places closer to the tunnel. We live in Pas de Calais but don't have first hand knowledge of sites but we do know that places like St Valery sur Somme and Le Treport are lovely little towns on the coast and both have some lovely restaurants. A bit further on and you have Honfleur which is stunning. If you stay close to the Baie de Somme there are endless cycle paths all around the bay.

Hope this helps,

Roger

We always stop on our return at Le Crotoy, Camping Tarteron, very convenient for St. Valery sur Somme, we stopped at camping Warlric once, not twice !!

Just quickly reviving this thread purely to review the recommended site and area.

The site (link above in previous comment) was absolutely perfect! The owners were very friendly, the facilities are pretty much brand new, they have an on site shop that stocked everything you'd need, including the obligatory fresh bread and croissants, which were delicious. The pool was lovely and clean, and very warm. The site had themed food nights. We opted for the paella night, and that was a real treat, and well recommended. Best of all, the weather was very warm for easter. (as Staffordshirechina will confirm, because they were on the pitch behind us) by the way, you must have a reversing camera on your car because I watched you hitch up whilst making a coffee, and you reversed with pinpoint accuracy under your hitch. Very impressive if you haven't got a camera. .

The actual island of 'ile de re' is a place we will be going back to. The cycling is great, but I found that road riding is not something the islanders recommend, infact some roads you are not allowed to ride on. This meant my road bike had to be put away and the mountain bike had to come out and be used. You could use a road bike on the cycle paths, but i'm a road rider generally. I ride quickly, and focus on my riding, and fitness, rather than the fun side of it, so not that suitable for my style of ride. However, once I picked up my bottom lip, and stopped having a hissy fit, the mountain bike and the cycle paths suited me quite well. The paths allow you to get pretty much all over the island safely. The nearest town to us was La Flotte. This has some beautiful restaurants, shops, and beaches. The harbour is a lovely place to sit and drink coffee for hours.

We also frequented many of the other towns, and found some really nice traditional places.

My in-laws who were less mobile, and the thought of hopping on a bike made my mother in law shudder. So they had a tuck tuck man on speed dial. . No really, they did.

Not the cheapest way to get around the island, but it suited their needs, and the tuck tuck man was very knowledgable about the area, and gave full on guided tours of the routes he took.

Overall a great holiday and a huge thanks to the recommendation through here.

Paul

Edited by Tourershine

Glad it went well. You said earlier that you "managed to book a week". So how full was the site in April while you were there?

The site had several days where the 'No vacancy' board was out and it was busy, but there were days where it would of been possible to get a pitch for a couple of nights.

Judging by it's popularity, I'd suggest booking in advance if you want more than the odd night is essential.

Thanks, that's helpful. It 's a very busy, popular island - and such a comparison with the nearby mainland, where sites are still empty well into June. Everyone I hear of seems to be going to the Ile de Re these days.

We were on a site in April, in a popular tourist area (the Ardeche) and none of the sites had more than 10% occupancy. On our site there were just six occupied pitches, out of 66 available. (And the site has heated sanitary facilities, and a heated swimming pool in low season). April isn't generally a month that you would think about booking, and I suspect that in a lot of France you might even find yourself on a site with no one else there!