Sign in to follow this  
Tourershine

West Coast Of France Recommendations Please

I'm trying to find a suitable location for our easter break this year.

We've been to many European locations, and have loads of places we will be going back to at some point, but this year is slightly different. My Mother and Father in-law always come away with us in their Motorhome, but due to my Father in laws rapidly deteriorating health, we cannot venture too far because he struggles driving for long periods at a time. He want's to go into France, but not right down to the south as we normally do.

I'm trying to find a location that suits us all, but it's not that easy. I'm a big user of TripAdvisor, and although some of the places I find have great reviews, inevitably there's something that doesn't suit us. All we want is a high quality site, for both our Motorhomes, that's close to the sea, possibly walking distance, and I would like a nice on-site restaurant, or walking distance to a nice town.

It needs to be maximum of 6hrs drive from Calais. (easiest crossing for us) Pet friendly, and most importantly, not a huge commercial site with loads of noise.

I know this criteria isn't impossible, because we've stayed at some stunning places, but I need to get this one right, because I feel my in-laws might not tour much longer with us.

If anyone has stayed at a place they think would suit, can you please give me the details, so I can look into it.

Thanks

Paul

Edited by Tourershine

have you considered taking the stress out of driving by taking the ferry to Bilbao and has up to the west coast that way? Its n option which may suit your needs.

If it isn't too far for you, I'd recommend St Martin on the Ile de Re. There's a top notch site inside the city walls with loads of restaurants within a short walk. It's not cheap and it's not ACSI tho, but it opens at Easter and will probably have low season rates.

have you considered taking the stress out of driving by taking the ferry to Bilbao and has up to the west coast that way? Its n option which may suit your needs.

Sadly my Father in-law cannot use a boat because he gets very sick. The tunnel suits him perfectly.

• Like 1

We can recommend Camping de La Falaise in Turballe and it is ACSI plus dog friendly. Right on the beach with all amenities, supermarket within walking distance, restaurant in the town, plenty to see around and of course St Nazaire not too far away.

Asking for a destination on the west coast of France within six hours drive of Calais is, I am afraid, impossible. In a fast car yes, but not with a caravan or for an elderly gentleman in a Motorhome. It's a pity you can't consider any of the ferries from Portsmouth because that would open up many possibilities, so it may have to be along the Normandy coast instead. Good wishes to your father in law. I hope the holiday goes well for him.

Edited by moorgate
  • Like 1

Asking for a destination on the west coast of France within six hours drive of Calais is, I am afraid, impossible. In a fast car yes, but not with a caravan or for an elderly gentleman in a Motorhome. It's a pity you can't consider any of the ferries from Portsmouth because that would open up many possibilities, so it may have to be along the Normandy coast instead. Good wishes to your father in law. I hope the holiday goes well for him.

Correct as it is about a 8 hour drive however if they used the Portsmouth to Caen crossing, it is less than 5 hours so a big saving and a lot less driving to the site I recommended.

Durbanite's recommendation sounds a good one. Six hours and ten minutes from Calais according to Google but we always reckon to add a good hour to google's timings.

As the OP's father in law doesn't like sailing, it seems that the tunnel is an essential part of the planning, so why not stay somewhere overnight, say three or four hours from Calais, to take the stress of one long journey. You can arrive on site, relax for the late afternoon, have a meal out perhaps (if the site restaurant is open then even easier, especially if you like Moules/Frites), and then arrive at La Turballe just after lunchtime on the second day. Camping St Nicholas at Le Bec Hellouin (ACSI site) would be just about the right distance, and gets nine out of ten on another forum (sorry can't link to it). It has woodland to walk the dog, is pet-friendly, the owner makes his own cider, and it's open at Easter when you want to travel.

I hope you all have a lovely holiday together.

Edited by ValA

Agree with ValA. ....have done the West Coast often but even with good winds and a fair trip around,say Rouen, trying to do the whole lot in 6 hours is a 'no no'....Did Carnac in one go once,in ignorance, and it meant about 11 hours behind wheel. .so thereafter always an overnight stay en route.

geoff

Chatelaillon Plage just South of La Rochelle, a couple of nice sites both on ACSI, the one in the town is good, can't think of the name of it, very convenient for restaurants, harbour etc, La Rochelle 's very interesting and not too far away

Edited by Les Medes

Sorry for the confusion, by 6 hrs, I meant in 2 stretches, around 3hrs a day. That is only a guide, and could do less, or could do slightly more. I'm just going on my in-laws maximum travelling times.

We should of had more time, but he's been nominated for a queens maundy award at Leicester cathedral, and gets to meet the Queen, but it fell smack in the middle of our plans and i'm not sure The Queen will hold off for a week. ...

Chatelaillon Plage just South of La Rochelle, a couple of nice sites both on ACSI, the one in the town is good, can't think of the name of it, very convenient for restaurants, harbour etc, La Rochelle 's very interesting and not too far away

It could be this one, http://www. camping-port-punay. com Looks pretty spot on.

That one opens on 28 April 2017 according to their website. Is that OK for you?

Nope. . Although that's odd because I put in my dates and it said pitches were available.

My mistake, it doesn't say it's 'not' available when you try to book. It just bumps your booking dates to the 'next' available, which is in May.

Next. ..

Edited by Tourershine

Not to worry. Camping Le Cadoret at Fouras is very close - open all year I think, and that's a pretty little French seaside town.

Though I'm still concerned at you getting your father down there in two 3 hour days. And the website says no double axle caravans - is that the next problem?

Edited by moorgate

You can see my issues here.

i'm not used to restrictions on time and distance, covering 10000 miles in both Motorhomes over the last 2 years, visiting most of southern France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and our personal favourite, Switzerland.

It's getting really frustrating trying to find a location that suits, and this side of France is not a place we've visited at all. I've spent hours trying to find the right site, but hit hurdles every time, hence asking on here on the off chance someone had one of those places they'd visited that they go back to, or would highly recommend.

Ugh.

Edited by Tourershine

You can see my issues here.

i'm not used to restrictions on time and distance, covering 10000 miles in both Motorhomes over the last 2 years, visiting most of southern France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and our personal favourite, Switzerland.

It's getting really frustrating trying to find a location that suits, and this side of France is not a place we've visited at all. I've spent hours trying to find the right site, but hit hurdles every time, hence asking on here on the off chance someone had one of those places they'd visited that they go back to, or would highly recommend.

Ugh.

Are you sure 'she wouldn't hold off for a week'? ;)

• Like 1

We can recommend Camping de La Falaise in Turballe and it is ACSI plus dog friendly. Right on the beach with all amenities, supermarket within walking distance, restaurant in the town, plenty to see around and of course St Nazaire not too far away.

Yes this is a great site, we used to go regular in the late 70's and 80's. Called a couple of years back, new owners but still a good site, we had a pitch right on the front, beautiful sea views. As said, very handy for all local amenities.

I would second MalH, the Ile de Re is very good at Easter, it seems to get Gulf Stream temperatures early in the season.

We will be heading there ourselves for a week either side of Easter weekend.

There are several ACSI sites for cheap rent too.

The downside is the distance, a bit more than you want but maybe you can take a bit longer ?

I would second MalH, the Ile de Re is very good at Easter, it seems to get Gulf Stream temperatures early in the season.

We will be heading there ourselves for a week either side of Easter weekend.

There are several ACSI sites for cheap rent too.

The downside is the distance, a bit more than you want but maybe you can take a bit longer ?

Just digging through sites in this area as we speak. Some not open until end of April, and some are minimum 7 night stay for a pitch, but thankfully there's quite a few sites, so hopefully I can find one.

Looks like some cracking cycling. .. That's me sorted if I find a site.

Just digging through sites in this area as we speak. Some not open until end of April, and some are minimum 7 night stay for a pitch, but thankfully there's quite a few sites, so hopefully I can find one.

Looks like some cracking cycling. .. That's me sorted if I find a site.

It is the one place we always take the bikes. Miles of separate dedicated bike paths all over the island.

Check out http://www. la-grainetiere. com/campsite-france-island-re. html

It is ACSI and will be E19 per night for Easter if you have the card.

I'm trying to find a suitable location for our easter break this year.

We've been to many European locations, and have loads of places we will be going back to at some point, but this year is slightly different. My Mother and Father in-law always come away with us in their Motorhome, but due to my Father in laws rapidly deteriorating health, we cannot venture too far because he struggles driving for long periods at a time. He want's to go into France, but not right down to the south as we normally do.

I'm trying to find a location that suits us all, but it's not that easy. I'm a big user of TripAdvisor, and although some of the places I find have great reviews, inevitably there's something that doesn't suit us. All we want is a high quality site, for both our Motorhomes, that's close to the sea, possibly walking distance, and I would like a nice on-site restaurant, or walking distance to a nice town.

It needs to be maximum of 6hrs drive from Calais. (easiest crossing for us) Pet friendly, and most importantly, not a huge commercial site with loads of noise.

I know this criteria isn't impossible, because we've stayed at some stunning places, but I need to get this one right, because I feel my in-laws might not tour much longer with us.

If anyone has stayed at a place they think would suit, can you please give me the details, so I can look into it.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

We went here a couple of years back.

https://www. campingcard. co. uk/france/brittany/ille-et-vilaine/saint-lunaire/flower-camping-longchamp-110404/

Lovely site, a couple of hundred yards back from the beach and very good value on site restaurant. Many more restaurants in the town which was around a 15 minute stroll. Area absolutely stunning.

As you can see also takes ACSI so really good value.

We will certainly return one day soon.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

It is the one place we always take the bikes. Miles of separate dedicated bike paths all over the island.

Check out http://www. la-grainetiere. com/campsite-france-island-re. html

It is ACSI and will be E19 per night for Easter if you have the card.

I've e. mailed that site with what we want. We find when booking 2 pitches, it's easier to contact them directly.

Hi Paul, this may be a different take on your predicament or at least an alternative. Doubtless some folk will disagree but I think it is worth considering.

Driving some distance is a problem so why look to push to the limit when there are some lovely places closer to the tunnel. We live in Pas de Calais but don't have first hand knowledge of sites but we do know that places like St Valery sur Somme and Le Treport are lovely little towns on the coast and both have some lovely restaurants. A bit further on and you have Honfleur which is stunning. If you stay close to the Baie de Somme there are endless cycle paths all around the bay.

Hope this helps,

Roger

I'm thinking on the same lines as Sulyka. I wouldn't try to choose one perfect site, and certainly wouldn't book one single site in April. I might not even like it!

I would just potter from place to place - all the ones that Sulyka has mentioned - plus others like Etretat, Bayeux and Mont St Michel along the way. I know I can just go as I please in April. Two pitches together? Well that's not going to be hard on empty sites in April.