On Board Water Tanks - Much Use?

Our caravan came with an on board water tank which I thought was a good idea. I sterilised it and fitted a water filter to the pipe and submerged it in the tank and planned to use it for drinking water only.

On our second trip out I was lying in bed at night and had the worst headache I have ever had in my life, it was paralysing and luckily the wife was quickly on head with some paracetamol and after 15 minutes I was fine.

I put this down to drinking water from the internal tank and to this day I have never done it again.

What we do now is fill the aqua roll and the on board tank and a 5 litre bottle when we arrive. We use the aqua roll for everything except drinking (5 litre bottle for that) and only use the on board tank if the aqua roll runs out at an inconvenient time.

Put one of these in your fixed tank:

https://www. amazon. co. uk/Aquatec-Silvertex-Caravan-Conservation-System/dp/B01N9YVJ0R/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487596098&sr=8-1&keywords=wm+aquatec

I've never had any issues

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

On the Hymer. There doesn't seem to be any valve arrangement. To fill the tank simple place outlet from external pump into tank filler. There is a rocker switch in the comet box that switches between internal and external pumps. I used to carry 2 40l aquaroll's know I carry one so the normal Friday night routine is to fill the aquaroll fill the tank then refill the aquaroll, this last us the weekend with a couple of showers. It appears to me that the pump in the tank is more powerful than the external pump. I cannot believe that everyone doesn't have an aquaroll it is in my (not very) humble opinion the best water carrier by a huge margin (other opinions are available)

Another one if those personal choice things.

We use our onboard tank all the time, unless just a one night stand.

Nothing worse than running out of water or having to change from one aquaroll to another when you are in the shower!

Fortunately no valves or taps to change.

Saves having to carry two aquarolls.

But, whilst its great, I wouldnt go to the trouble or cost of fitting an onboard tank as an extra.

Suspect that would not be possible in most UK vans (certainly those I have had)

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

• 3 months later...

My Lunar has a 50l internal tank but I have no choice but to use it - there is no connection for an external 'connected' pump - just a 12V point for an external whale pump to pump the water from the aquaroll into the internal tank. You know it's full when your feet get wet from the overflow.

Edited by steveclv
  • 3 weeks later...

Never used our onboard tank, much prefer the Aquaroll and fully serviced pitches for an easy life.

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

I used to use my on board tank in the Swift Conqueror 645 and fill it via an Aquaroll. My current van has a 50ltr on board tank which is the only way to get water. It has a float system which shuts off the external pump when the tank is full. I tow with the tank full so I have the use of the flush and taps mid journey but I can afford the payload cost. The tank is underslung so has no effect on storage under the seats and is made of food grade stainless steel for both strength and hygiene. I like the fact I have running water en route and there is enough capacity in the drainage pipes to hold some water after hand washing or washing up the lunch things. I have similar to a motorhome connection at the waste outlet with a large circular pipe with a screw on end going down to a smaller screw on cap. This holds about 4ltrs of waste water which is plenty for a short stop.

Our new van (when we get it) has 50 litre tanks for both fresh and waste water so I have decided to abandon the aquaroll and wastemaster in favour of expanding hose pipes or our preferred serviced pitches. I have two twenty litre containers which will fit in the gas locker along with a mini wastermaster just in case. I use a sump pump for waste disposal and this can connect to upto 20m of pipe hopefully to the nearest disposal point. Again, with serviced pitches this is not a problem. For overnight stops the two tanks will be more than sufficient and for long stays its serviced pitches for an easy life.

John

I can see the benefits of an onboard tank if there is also an onboard waste, as per campervans, but when using the onboard tank and aquaroll combined, do you also need two waste masters, with some plumbing between them ?

Hello

I can't speak for all makes, but our Swift has a small on-board tank (15ltrs), which is accessed by a simple switch under the seat (no need to lift cushions, you use the storage access hatch).

The on board tank is filled from the Aquaroll using the same pump as for using the external tank, and it has a connector just above the 'normal' external tank connector.

As far as our Swift is concerned you do not need another Wastemaster as the system drains from the same places.

I thought that we would use our on-board tank when we did our European trip to Andalucía and the Algarve in February/March this year, indeed we encountered some very cold (freezing) weather on the way down, but I used the insulated cover and we had no problems whatsoever.

For a cup of tea at a lunchtime stop we carry a couple of litres of water in a plastic bottle.

BH

post-81929-0-27047200-1498380210_thumb.jpg

post-81929-0-54400900-1498380736_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blackhart

Back from 6 weeks in Ireland.

For some of the time we travelled with water in the on board tank.

I couldn't decide if it made the towing a bit more "hunty" or not.

In theory, if the tank is part full then there will be about 25 kg of water slopping from end to end as the caravan nose goes up and down, and when you accelerate or brake. Think perhaps of an active 8 year old charging around the front area of the van trying to make it rock.

As the tank is slim top to bottom and covers quite a wide area there is plenty of scope for the water to move around.

This could exaggerate any nose dip, and some of those Irish roads are "interesting".

Perhaps a full tank would have less effect, so the answer would be to drive with the tank full or empty but not part full.

Anyway, drained it for the last run home and the van towed nicely; then again it was all good roads.

The suspension of the Touareg is also quite soft (no sports or variable height option) so this might exaggerate any hunting.

Hymer Nova 580 2016 and VW Touareg 2009 SE

Don't the tanks have baffles? The MTPLM includes a half full water tank ISTR so it's expected that you tow with it.

AFAIK the manual recommends that you don't tow with any water in the tank because of stability.

However I don't know if this is sage advice or just backside covering.

Edited by LittleGreyCat

Hymer Nova 580 2016 and VW Touareg 2009 SE

• 2 weeks later...

I would never tow with water in the on-board tank. The reason being that the tank doesn't have any baffling (this will help reduce the water sloshing around) even with baffling the water will move, to get some idea of the power of liquid in a baffled tank just watch a petrol tanker or oil or even a milk tanker when they stop. I fitted an on-board tank to the last four caravans. My latest 'van is a Bailey pegasus 646, to this I have fitted a 70 litre tank. The original pump is plumbed to this and supplies the caravan. The original water inlet is plumbed to the tank via a pump. When we arrive on site one of the children will go and fill the 50 ltr water hog, this is pumped into the on-board tank, whilst the water hog is being refilled I purge the air out of the system. I have fitted a level sensor to the tank so we can check the level before a shower and if need be pump some water in. If we go on a rally with out electric I can fill the tank by pouring water in through the large opening on the top.

• Like 1

It won't slosh around if you keep the tank full and we're only talking about 50 litres not 50,000.

Motorhomes drive around with fresh and waste water tanks without any problems

• Like 2

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

Our Airstream which we have had since 2009 has an on-board tank and we always use it and always travel with water in it - never had any problems! We also have an Aquarol which we also use so never have to worry about running out of water providing we do a daily fill.

Also never had any problems health wise BUT we only drink bottled water but use the on-board/Aquarol for everything else including making tea and coffee.

• Like 2

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.