On Board Water Tanks - Much Use?

I have read that you are not supposed to tow with any water in the on board tank. Seems sensible from a weight point of view if nothing else.

Once you are pitched up, you probably aren't near enough to a tap to fill the tank.

We have an external connector and electric pump to fit into a water carrier, so this seems to be a standard way of getting water without moving the van.

So what do you do?

Fill up on the way to your pitch then drain off when you move?

Carry a 12V pump to transfer water from the water carrier to the on board tank?

Carry a very long reel of hose to reach to the nearest tap?

Or just use the water carrier and not bother with the tank?

Hymer Nova 580 2016 and VW Touareg 2009 SE

We have an onboard tank, we use the van all year round,the only advantage for us is there's no external aquaroll to freeze.

Other than that,it takes up a lot of room under the seats and the Swift Internal pump would wake the dead with the racket!! :o

If your filling the kettle noones going to be sleeping!

I use an aquaroll and a normal external pump to fill it.

I am sure there are some out there that can cite other pros for an onboard tank but there's only one for us.

Our Series5 Senator was fitted with an on board tank and in the 7 years we owned it we only ever used the on board tank once (when outside temp was due to go down to -7C overnight), it was just too much hassle to keep lifting the cushions to get to the valves to swap back and forth between aquaroll and on board tank. During mid winter I just stand the aquaroll on a couple of lengths of 1x1 timber so that it is off the ground and wrap an old padded anorak around it and have never had it freeze up.

The on board tank on our now-replaced Senator is one of the features I miss the most. ..our valves had their own access flap which could be easily reached and operated without lifting cushions, even with the bed made up. ..

Once sited and filled, with an aquaroll also full I had enough water for a day's use including showers without going outside. ..the occasional hiccup where the aquaroll empties whilst one is covered in soap is much easier to handle (especially when solo) as

I could scamper out of the shower, select the onboard tank and finish showering . ..or avoid asking Mrs C to get out of bed and connect the second aquaroll as sometimes happens without the inboard tank.

I know it's not an insurmountable obstacle but I found it a real boon, and when we replace this van with our 'last one' I intend to retrofit myself if there isn't one as standard.

We're all different, but I really miss not having it. ...and having to carry another aquaroll everywhere too. ..

Edited by Coriolis

We do use ours. Yes it helps in the winter to get a warmer shower rather than using freezing water from outside.

However, our main use is when travelling. We keep a couple of lights-worth in the tank for hand washing, brewing up etc.

It also means you are already bled through when you get anywhere.

I can see the benefits of an onboard tank if there is also an onboard waste, as per campervans, but when using the onboard tank and aquaroll combined, do you also need two waste masters, with some plumbing between them ?

Land Rover on SORN so not towing anything for a while

Had an onboard in the last three vans which we used all the time, saved carrying two aquarolls. The Sterling was good as you had a gauge on the panel with the amount in the tank, but the last two Baileys just had an overflow pipe and some very awkward valves to change over, the new Bucanneer has a simple switch on the panel with a seperate % full gauge.

What we do is fill the tank from the aqua roll. Some people seem to spend all there lives walking to and from the tap with a watering can. I choose not to, Good and bad news about your tank the good news is it is 50l so it swallow a 40l aquaroll. Bad news it wont cut off so can overflow. Wrt to traveling with water in the tank. If you lift the cover on the floor ours has an instruction sticker on it and it indicated (i think) that a third of a turn of the drain valve drains the tank down to 20l this is ok for traveling according to Hymer and another couple of turns drains the tank completely. This time of year we drain down completely before we leave site because of the chance of freezing in the Sumer we leave a bit in the tank Hope this helps

• Like 1

Our previous van (2010 Challenger 630) had an on-board tank. It would fill automatically from the Water Hog then top itself up as water was drawn from it. No fiddling about with valves. The curren van doesnt have it and I miss it.

• Like 1

Never had one but know that apart from friends who winter in Spain almost none use them here.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Swear by them and sometimes at them. Had one on the last 3 or 4 vans and all have been underslung so no loss of space in the van. Godsend in cold weather but I invariably use fully serviced pitches so have no problem in topping up.

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

Continental Caravans all have them. It seems that UK caravans are the only ones to use the Aquaroll system.

Even SWIFT use on board tanks for the european market.

Just like ovens - you won't find them in continental caravans, but standard in UK ones. ....

All you need to fill an onboard watertank is a hose . ......

Continental Caravans all have them. It seems that UK caravans are the only ones to use the Aquaroll system.

Even SWIFT use on board tanks for the european market.

Just like ovens - you won't find them in continental caravans, but standard in UK ones. ....

All you need to fill an onboard watertank is a hose . ......

But how do you manage when the tap is a couple of hundred metres away. Do you carry lots of hose just in case?

John

Use it all the time. Filled up at home from the tap alongside the van so water available on route and as soon as we arrive, fill the aquaroll then use that until it runs out then switch to internal.

In winter use the aquaroll during the day and internal at night, take the pump out of the aquaroll if freezing outside.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Sounds similar to a motor home.

Carry just enough water in the tank for an emergency flush of the loo and carry some bottled water for drinking.

Fill up on site.

Next big decision - how long a hose pipe??

Hymer Nova 580 2016 and VW Touareg 2009 SE

Many caravans do not have a flush tank for the toilet and draw the flush water from the aquaroll or the on board tank. This is a big drawback if you use the toilet while on route to a destination. I am wary about carrying some water in the onboard due to it sloshing around plus the weight factor that eats into the payload.

Many caravans do not have a flush tank for the toilet and draw the flush water from the aquaroll or the on board tank. This is a big drawback if you use the toilet while on route to a destination. I am wary about carrying some water in the onboard due to it sloshing around plus the weight factor that eats into the payload.

Agree with that - I carry cold water in bottles in the car.

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

I'm a little confused by the we fill using hose pipes. You just use your pump that goes into the aqua roll to fill the on board tank. OK the swift we had involved moving a valve if you wanted to switch the supply to the taps from in board tank to aqua roll, our new van is just a electric switch. We only use the inboard tank, always have a full aqua roll to keep topping up.

Somehow I'd gain more pleasure knowing our oven was full of roast beef and Yorkshire puddings than knowing we had a full onboard water tank B)

• Like 1

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

On board tanks are great. The vans taps work all the time and I travel full mostly so less faff at arrival.

I fill up with a 25L jerry can that has a short (50cm) plastic hose attached to its spout (the hose fits around the tap when getting water and shoves into the caravan's water filler hole when you up end it into the tank).. Easy

Hardly ever use ours. Will fill it if it is close to freezing outside.

P

2009 2. 5 Kia Sorento
2012 Bailey Unicorn Valencia

We have a 40lt onboard tank and use two 40lt Aquarolls. Have never used the onboard tank as the two Aquarolls suffice - one in use and one full and ready to go. Ok, we have the possibility of 120lt of water but you still have to fill the Aquarolls up which, if all the water was used up, still entails two or even three trips to the nearest water point at some stage. Unless that is, you can push/pull two full Aquarolls at the same time :) .

2019 Adria Adora Thames

We have a 40lt onboard tank and use two 40lt Aquarolls. Have never used the onboard tank as the two Aquarolls suffice - one in use and one full and ready to go. Ok, we have the possibility of 120lt of water but you still have to fill the Aquarolls up which, if all the water was used up, still entails two or even three trips to the nearest water point at some stage. Unless that is, you can push/pull two full Aquarolls at the same time :) .

We use 2 aquarolls and also the onboard tank. We have never ever had the 2 aquarolls run empty at the same time while on site and prior to packing up so no issue there. Fill up everything on arrival and no need to refill for about 3 days and if on a short break only the one fill is required. However by the same token we try and find fully serviced pitches.

Our caravan came with an on board water tank which I thought was a good idea. I sterilised it and fitted a water filter to the pipe and submerged it in the tank and planned to use it for drinking water only.

On our second trip out I was lying in bed at night and had the worst headache I have ever had in my life, it was paralysing and luckily the wife was quickly on head with some paracetamol and after 15 minutes I was fine.

I put this down to drinking water from the internal tank and to this day I have never done it again.

What we do now is fill the aqua roll and the on board tank and a 5 litre bottle when we arrive. We use the aqua roll for everything except drinking (5 litre bottle for that) and only use the on board tank if the aqua roll runs out at an inconvenient time.

I have a German made caravan and like all continental vans it has a built in fresh water tank (50 litres), I fill it up before I leave home from my garden hose as the 50 Kg extra weight is OK as I can carry 450 Kg.

Its just a UK thing to have an external tank, probably more convenient to re-fill once on site but you still need to transport it so you haven't freed up any extra storage space.

I can hardly hear the pump when its in operation, its very quiet.

I top up with a hose if my pitch has its own tap, otherwise its a plastic Jerrycan job.

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e