Sign in to follow this  
RobJS

Olympus 4th Service... Was All Going So Well!

I got away with it until now but my van was diagnosed with damp on its service this week. 74% in one locker and 45% in the other. It will go back to have the floor replaced in both lockers and the gas locker. the wheel arch area showed a high reading too but there was no sign of split liner. They will investigate further when it goes back in. I am disappointed but hope they do sort it out.

Visited my dealer this afternoon as my van is only covered by the 6 year damp warranty. i can upgrade to 10 years for £285 so will need to make a call on whether to do so for peace of mind. They tried hard to sell me a pursuit but i much prefer my van and although its got this problem (which i hope is going to get resolved), i don't want to change.

its baffling how its got to 4 years old unscathed by this issue and then it hits with avengance!

post-38246-0-92164100-1487354896_thumb.jpg

post-38246-0-66494900-1487355027_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobJS

Hi Rob JS. I know how you feel! The same thing happened to my 4 yr old Olympus. The locker doors seem to be the problem. 2 front ones replaced along with the toilet door and reseal the N/s wheel arch etc. (See my sorry tale under Bailey) I have the 10 yr warranty-well worth it as repairs are very costly. By the way my Tiguan is a great tow car and we do not want to change our van either.

Cheers!David.

I got away with it until now but my van was diagnosed with damp on its service this week. 74% in one locker and 45% in the other. It will go back to have the floor replaced in both lockers and the gas locker. the wheel arch area showed a high reading too but there was no sign of split liner. They will investigate further when it goes back in. I am disappointed but hope they do sort it out.

Visited my dealer this afternoon as my van is only covered by the 6 year damp warranty. i can upgrade to 10 years for £285 so will need to make a call on whether to do so for peace of mind. They tried hard to sell me a pursuit but i much prefer my van and although its got this problem (which i hope is going to get resolved), i don't want to change.

its baffling how its got to 4 years old unscathed by this issue and then it hits with avengance!

Sorry to read of your Damp Rob

Id spend the £285 for peace of mind for the next 6 years taking you through to the 10 year cover

Kev

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of the news rob. At least it's been caught before things got too bad. As with others, I'd pay the money. It's £70 a year for the next 4yrs peace of mind. Or, as the dealer would prefer, a lot more over the 4yrs for new van depreciation et

I had a real seal on four occasions before it stabilised the damp and even then the damp levels fluctuated between 15% and 25% around the rear toilet corner area, I also neatly sealed the body mouldings to divert rain water from the floor joints to help. The wheel arch floor areas also draw in water from the floor corners, not just split liners.

Just a question, would an insurance backed warranty pay out on a future leak if the van was known to have previous ingress history ?. Would be also interesting to know if anyone has had any ongoing ingress repairs on Baileys original 10 year warranty, which was a bought extended warranty by Bailey.

Best of luck and at least its was found now and hopefully repaired for the oncoming season.

Edited by Silverback

I have 5 years of trouble with underneath of the floor getting wet when it rains, no damp inside just a damp patch appears if you look under the caravan at the floor, one area just behind the offside wheel and another on the front offside corner . .. it's this common it seems after numerous attempts to fix it just keeps coming back. .

I have 5 years of trouble with underneath of the floor getting wet when it rains, no damp inside just a damp patch appears if you look under the caravan at the floor, one area just behind the offside wheel and another on the front offside corner . .. it's this common it seems after numerous attempts to fix it just keeps coming back. .

For me personally this was a indication that I had to try and divert the water falling from the body and off the floor edging trims onto the ply. (What the outer battens in the floor sandwich are like is anybody's guess). Though just because the outer floor is wet, doesn't mean that you will suffer from inner floor problems, though at one time the two did seem to go together and it doesn't take rocket science to work out if areas of under floor ply keep getting wet every time it rains that ply isn't going to last for many years. On my other caravans the under floor ply only got wet if I was towing when raining and not stationary.

Having just bought a second hand Olympus (picking it up on Saturday), I'd be interested in specific areas to look (don't mind crawling round underneath with a torch).

Also any tips on DIY preventative measures (for when it is out of dealer's warranty.

Its important they find out where the water is coming from. They feel its down to the bumper fixings into the front of the body or the seal has broken where the front of the van is fastened to the floor. There is no evidence of it coming through the grab handles. I am inclined for them not to put the plastic trays back into the van after this repair so that i can keep an eye on it myself over the year. My only concern is that replacing part of the floor with new wood. ......will that affect the strength of the floor?

I will take out the extra warranty after the next service for peace of mind. Its a shame as it flew through its service other than this but i would have rather the fridge needing replaced or a windows blind needing replaced. ... thats easier to sort! An extended warranty will see me through to 2022- thats good enough for me.

I cant understand why it will take Bailey up to 6 weeks to approve the work though- this type of repair approval should be quick as its brand damaging to have these type of repairs waiting. ....

Must stay positive- the Tiguan developed a fault- one of my rear suspension springs snapped as i was back at the storage site. ... going through a bit of bad luck but I'm sure it'll all be good in the end. What i have decided though is that this will be my last caravan. This is two new vans i have had and both have developed damp. These aren't cheap purchases and from what i see, this industry has a lot to do in order to persuade me to change my mind.

Having just bought a second hand Olympus (picking it up on Saturday), I'd be interested in specific areas to look (don't mind crawling round underneath with a torch).

Also any tips on DIY preventative measures (for when it is out of dealer's warranty.

Every corner of the van (although you can only do three because you have a shower in one of the areas. Definitely under the plastic trays in the front of caravan lockers too.

I had a real seal on four occasions before it stabilised the damp and even then the damp levels fluctuated between 15% and 25% around the rear toilet corner area, I also neatly sealed the body mouldings to divert rain water from the floor joints to help. The wheel arch floor areas also draw in water from the floor corners, not just split liners.

Just a question, would an insurance backed warranty pay out on a future leak if the van was known to have previous ingress history ?. Would be also interesting to know if anyone has had any ongoing ingress repairs on Baileys original 10 year warranty, which was a bought extended warranty by Bailey.

Best of luck and at least its was found now and hopefully repaired for the oncoming season.

how is it all now after your repairs? has it remained stable?

Sorry to hear of the news rob. At least it's been caught before things got too bad. As with others, I'd pay the money. It's £70 a year for the next 4yrs peace of mind. Or, as the dealer would prefer, a lot more over the 4yrs for new van depreciation et

less than £10 a month is peace of mind in my eyes although my 2010 which was riddled with damp would still be covered under the 10 year warranty! grrrr

Hi Rob JS. I know how you feel! The same thing happened to my 4 yr old Olympus. The locker doors seem to be the problem. 2 front ones replaced along with the toilet door and reseal the N/s wheel arch etc. (See my sorry tale under Bailey) I have the 10 yr warranty-well worth it as repairs are very costly. By the way my Tiguan is a great tow car and we do not want to change our van either.

Cheers!David.

spooky! same issues, same tow car. Have the repair to your van worked? The tiguan is very good, although mine has decided to cause me a headache - a rear suspension spring decided to snap so i will have to sort that this week. a known fault- had one replaced last year on the other side of the car. I had my tiguan remapped too- much better power delivery. i would recommend that.

I cant understand why it will take Bailey up to 6 weeks to approve the work though- this type of repair approval should be quick as its brand damaging to have these type of repairs waiting. ....

how is it all now after your repairs? has it remained stable?

Couldn't say it ever cured it, because basically it was just a over seal, so I would say it managed or slowed down any ingress and I say this from the amount of times it was sealed. Luckily during that time I didn't need any floor ply replacement, just drying.

I believe sealing the body mouldings with none setting mastic myself definitely helped by trying to divert rain water from the underfloor and drip to ground from the body moulding.

Which body moldings did you seal? I'd be interested in doing this as a precaution myself.

Which body moldings did you seal? I'd be interested in doing this as a precaution myself.

Around the front and rear body moulding including corner bumpers and the bottom section of the wheel arches where the meet the side awning skirt mouldings. Basically all the gaps to help the rain water drip to gourd not through any gaps and onto the under floor.

Thanks. I'll have a look around underneath with a tube of Sikaflex.

Thanks. I'll have a look around underneath with a tube of Sikaflex.

Its the gaps on top of the trims, the areas that are near to the rubber infill strips and lower part of the wheel arch.

I can't remember the brand of sealant I bought, but it was a none setting mastic from a caravan spares shop. If your careful you can do it neatly and its not permanent.

Ah! Thanks. I'd have dome at it from the wrong side.

Yes, I have a tube of the not setting sealant. Horrible stuff to work with! But does the job.

Damp was discovered on our Pegasus at the 5th service (coincidentally the dealer changed the LED strips in the grabhandles at the 4th service and it was dry prior to that!)

Work was approved, took a few months to get the parts strangely, but repair done in Jan 2016, currently all is still dry and we were (we had 40% damp in left locker and 70% in right, then 45% in bed locker adjacent to the external locker)

Only took a few days to dry it out and put new floor in the external lockers and reseal. so fingers crossed.

We were lucky that when new it was supplied with 10 years water ingress, for the £285 I would definitely take that. I am not sure what we do at 10 years old, since we love the caravan and layout guess we just cross our fingers and keep some cash spare.

• Like 1

I thought i would do a small update to this thread. I lifted the black plastic trays following the service and they have been off ever since. the floor in both lockers is now bone dry and thats after the rain between the service and now. this leads me to believe that the water is being driven into the caravan when driving rather than it just seeping in when standing. However, i had a not so nice surprise when i went in the locker under the bed a few weeks back to find a puddle of water in the wet locker tray area.

The doors are such a poor design i decided to take things into my own hands a bit. . . .. so i did what you can see in the attached photos. I hope these strips will help to guide water away from what i think are the very weak areas of the caravan. time will tell but i don't think they look out of place and i think that they can only help rather than hinder.

Apologies about the rotation on the pictures- i can't seem to change them! Any help in that department would be appreciated .

I should add. ... i am still waiting for the green light to do the repair from Bailey. How it takes this long i do not know!

post-38246-0-12369300-1491576541_thumb.jpg

post-38246-0-04948100-1491576568_thumb.jpg

post-38246-0-58756200-1491576602_thumb.jpg

post-38246-0-20149400-1491576634_thumb.jpg

I can see what you are trying to achieve,but personnaly I would of fitted them the other way up as on a house front door. The water would then run down side and drip off clear of the door. Acting as a gutter,with a big downpore if the gutter fills faster than the water can run out of the ends it will flow over and onto door.

• Like 1

i see what you are saying but i have installed these on a slight angle so that there will be run off from them. the reality is that they are only catching drips that are dripping down the van. you're right in that they wouldn't stop a torrent. If i had installed them the other way and the van wasn't completely level, the drip could drip onto the floor, this way around, it diverts away from the door. ...... hopefully!

The wet locker doors on vans like our Pageant Vendee used to suffer water ingress in a similar way. Bailey actually supplied "eyebrows" over the door which fitted rather like the gutters you have and cured it absolutely.

It seems a shame that they have forgotten their past!

Rob - had same problem with my Olly last year, it was the nearside front locker door latch, not shutting door properly. All work repaired by dealer, without charge. Get the results of this years service when I go to get van today, had no phone calls so hope all is well.

Richard

• Like 1

Got my service report for this year - van perfect - damp readings following the damp repair last year = 0% throughout the van - happy bunny, seems like they did a good job fixing it.

Got my service report for this year - van perfect - damp readings following the damp repair last year = 0% throughout the van - happy bunny, seems like they did a good job fixing it.

I find 0% a little suspicious,surely wood has a small inbuilt amount of moisture which would show as a small percentage.

Ian

Always been 0% in my van til I had the ingress through the front locker door (I also have a meter and always double check the service report readings when I get the van home - to give me confidence in the report - I also made it 0% today).

Great news Richard. I hope mines ok when it goes for its service in August having the same issue as yours. Door replaced and part of floor in locker.