Sign in to follow this  
tom_1989

Twin Axle Servicing Costs

Hi Everyone,

How much do you pay for your twin axle to be serviced? I used to get mine done by the people we bought the caravan from as offered a supposed discount and i liked them. ..used to annoy me being charge £6. 00 for 3 pumps of grease though. Anyway now i have moved to sunny suffolk the old place is too far away. It used to cost me around £250. 00.

Anyone have any recommendations for someone around Ipswich or Sudbury? Happy to take to a workshop or get a mobile person in.

Alternatively my insurance states it needs to be serviced but not by who, if i kept receipts of the parts and readings could in the event of an accident would me servicing be considered enough to keep insurance valid?

Thanks, Tom

Edited by tom_1989

I moved away from main dealer servicing and use an independent workshop.

My last service 12 months ago cost £220 including VAT.

That included the one shot nuts and water filters.

Not local to you though Tom.

I would of thought to satisfy a Insurance company you would need a service by a approved service engineer with a damp report possibly .

What insurance is asking for a service ?

Dave

Quote " What insurance is asking for a service ?"

Quite a lot of the companies are now asking for proof of servicing as part of the T&C's of continued cover.

From my previous dealings with Insurance companies they want a recognised service agent to do the servicing, such as your supplying dealer or a AWS engineer.

• Like 1

I can recommend Paul Darkins as a Suffolk based mobile AWS engineer. Many years ago Paul built caravans for Ci then more recently was workshop manager for a local main dealer until the owner passed away and the business closed. Paul then went mobile and has been so for several years now. Service at my house last year was £200, hopefully not too much different when he is back this month. Has 100% satisfaction score on the AWS website.

In answer to your first question I have just had a quote of £285 for an annual service. Anything else such as one shot nuts etc. is extra. Mobile engineer, too rich for my blood.

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendation I am just outside pauls area but will give him a call. I had a quote today from someone on the AWS website for £190 including the one shot nuts so don't and don't think will get cheaper than that. Our local dealer is £279 plus parts and I have to drag it to them!

My insurance is with caravans and camping club.

A full twin axle service by a fully skilled member of the AWS is £189 for new customers in Swindon 😊

Edited by Caravanmedicswindon

i use waveney motorhomes he comes to me very reasonalable i think 2017 is £172 for a twin wheel his website www. waveneymotorhomes. co. uk

Mobile service engineers will usually not be VAT registered and therefore the bill should be 20% cheaper to start with. Additionally they usually carry no overhead like buildings and commercial building overheads (for example council tax), and they are self employed. Realistically they should be about 25% cheaper than a dealer workshop. Most AWS mobile services are around this price level so the cost is probably about right. The convenience and time saving of a mobile are big advantage. Being able to watch what is going on is a definite plus. In my opinion a mobile engineer is the best way if your caravan is kept at home. AWS usually do the twin axle for about £50 more than a single axle to cover their extra time stripping brakes.

Edited by Ern

Mobile service engineers will usually not be VAT registered and therefore the bill should be 20% cheaper to start with. Additionally they usually carry no overhead like buildings and commercial building overheads (for example council tax), and they are self employed. Realistically they should be about 25% cheaper than a dealer workshop. Most AWS mobile services are around this price level so the cost is probably about right. The convenience and time saving of a mobile are big advantage. Being able to watch what is going on is a definite plus. In my opinion a mobile engineer is the best way if your caravan is kept at home. AWS usually do the twin axle for about £50 more than a single axle to cover their extra time stripping brakes.

A very generalised way of putting it. ....

In my situation I am VAT registered as my turnover (not profit) hovers around the threshold for registration. I pay for a modern workshop for bigger jobs, (bodywork, damp repatriation etc) storage (I buy movers etc in bulk to allow me to pass on lower prices) & people who wish to travel to me.

I'm a fully trained member of the Approved Workshop Scheme & hold every qualification relevant to the industry. I'm fully trained by Al-Ko, BPW, Alde, Dometic, Thetford, Truma & Whale which allows me to service all UK mass produced caravans & motorhomes (plus Adria & Hobby) It also allows warranty repairs on my customers appliances etc. .....All of these qualifications as well as the tools & equipment I use have to be in good order & regulatory calibrated &/or replaced.

I'm fully mobile for servicing coming to your house, storage, camp site etc, with a very well equipt van and carry ALL regular spares.

Now you can compare with my local workshop. ....

They are NOT a member of the Approved Workshop Scheme therefore they don't have to use any trained people to work on your pride & joy (no fees for training or certification, tools minimal, shared by all employees with no need for calibration) you have to leave your caravan with them for 1 to 2 weeks they have a £multimillion turnover with a constant flow of new caravans sold & mislead (bully) customers with false info regarding servicing.

Yet my prices are around 30% lower for a more comprehensive service & my customers have the convenience of my mobile service. My price for a twin axle service is £20 more than a single axle service.

Being self employed isn't relevant to costs as I still have to pay income tax & enhanced national insurance contributions.

• Like 3

A full twin axle service by a fully skilled member of the AWS is £189 for new customers in Swindon

That works out at around £90 less than our dealer charged us last year. And that doesn't take fuel used and hassle factors into account.

I will certainly be seeking out a AWS bod this summer.

A full twin axle service by a fully skilled member of the AWS is £189 for new customers in Swindon

That's a good price for a twin axle - I've just paid £189 for a single axle, with a mobile AWS, compared to £208 last year at the selling dealer - the cost saving is enhanced by not having to use fuel getting it to the dealer and back - the bonus for those so inclined is to be able to watch the guy at work and have things explained.

The outfit I used has a workshop not too far away where more involved repairs are done plus the mobile unit - their pricing is higher at the workshop.

A very generalised way of putting it. ....

In my situation I am VAT registered as my turnover (not profit) hovers around the threshold for registration. I pay for a modern workshop for bigger jobs, (bodywork, damp repatriation etc) storage (I buy movers etc in bulk to allow me to pass on lower prices) & people who wish to travel to me.

I'm a fully trained member of the Approved Workshop Scheme & hold every qualification relevant to the industry. I'm fully trained by Al-Ko, BPW, Alde, Dometic, Thetford, Truma & Whale which allows me to service all UK mass produced caravans & motorhomes (plus Adria & Hobby) It also allows warranty repairs on my customers appliances etc. .....All of these qualifications as well as the tools & equipment I use have to be in good order & regulatory calibrated &/or replaced.

I'm fully mobile for servicing coming to your house, storage, camp site etc, with a very well equipt van and carry ALL regular spares.

Now you can compare with my local workshop. ....

They are NOT a member of the Approved Workshop Scheme therefore they don't have to use any trained people to work on your pride & joy (no fees for training or certification, tools minimal, shared by all employees with no need for calibration) you have to leave your caravan with them for 1 to 2 weeks they have a £multimillion turnover with a constant flow of new caravans sold & mislead (bully) customers with false info regarding servicing.

Yet my prices are around 30% lower for a more comprehensive service & my customers have the convenience of my mobile service. My price for a twin axle service is £20 more than a single axle service.

Being self employed isn't relevant to costs as I still have to pay income tax & enhanced national insurance contributions.

Well, at least my post gave you a great introduction. I'm sure you provide a good service as most of the AWS people I have knowledge of all have. Your particular business has developed past the "man with van" stage, and the fact that you have a turnover reaching the VAT threshold is perhaps because of your product sales. I shouldn't think the average AWS one man in a van business would generate such a turnover. Yes, I was generalising and you are an example of the exception.

Well, at least my post gave you a great introduction. I'm sure you provide a good service as most of the AWS people I have knowledge of all have. Your particular business has developed past the "man with van" stage, and the fact that you have a turnover reaching the VAT threshold is perhaps because of your product sales. I shouldn't think the average AWS one man in a van business would generate such a turnover. Yes, I was generalising and you are an example of the exception.

The VAT threshold is £83,000 per year - about the same as servicing two caravans a day and taking normal holiday - add the extra value of any repairs where the cost of parts is included in the turnover, it would be less than two per day.

I think that some may not get that high but the average would.

The VAT threshold is £83,000 per year - about the same as servicing two caravans a day and taking normal holiday - add the extra value of any repairs where the cost of parts is included in the turnover, it would be less than two per day.

I think that some may not get that high but the average would.

I fit quite a lot of motor movers & solar panels, as they are a high cost they bump up the turnover (obviously not profit as I have to pay for the mover out of the total charge), if I was just servicing it wouldn't be anywhere near the threshold.

Sign in to follow this