Truma Bbq Point Recall

Tuningdrew

Just had an email from Swift regarding the BBQ point on my 2016 Conqueror. Theres a possibility the tap may leak. No instances yet of any disasters arising but they've decided to recall the affected batch.

From their email it would appear that valves manufactured in 2016 are those affected. Valves manufactures from 01/2017 or prior to 2016 are not affected.

The date of manufacture is on a knurled brass ring where the BBQ hose plugs in. The date code is mm/yyyy format. If there is no date code on the ring then it is not affected.

As an interim safety precaution until you can get back to your dealer Truma will send out a blanking cap to seal the BBQ point on request.

• Like 2

Thanks for this posting. ..as someone who lost a caravan due to a leaking tap, or hose, a good 'heads up'..well done Swift too.

geoff

• Like 1

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Or bad cooking Geoff. ..

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

No we had already eaten the steak. ...the fire was next to the tap and ignited the bed box initially.

geoff

No we had already eaten the steak. ...the fire was next to the tap and ignited the bed box initially.

geoff

MY OH MY!!!, so what ignited the gas?

Just had an email from Swift regarding the BBQ point on my 2016 Conqueror. Theres a possibility the tap may leak. No instances yet of any disasters arising but they've decided to recall the affected batch.

From their email it would appear that valves manufactured in 2016 are those affected. Valves manufactures from 01/2017 or prior to 2016 are not affected.

The date of manufacture is on a knurled brass ring where the BBQ hose plugs in. The date code is mm/yyyy format. If there is no date code on the ring then it is not affected.

As an interim safety precaution until you can get back to your dealer Truma will send out a blanking cap to seal the BBQ point on request.

Our van is 2016 is this limited to certain models? As we haven't had a letter.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

tags: inspirational, optimism, perception, pessimism

MY OH MY!!!, so what ignited the gas?

Fire Brigade reckoned that when I had switched the Cadac off and left it there had already been a leakage and somehow a flame had 'travelled'...Insurance people came and looked at debris and agreed. The BBQ itself was almost undamaged but was scrapped.

geoff

• Like 1

I've had the same email from Truma who are doing a FOC product recall due to the possibility of a leak, Swift fair play to them are obviously quick of the mark in sending out notification, will be interesting to see if Bailey are as pro-active only collected the new van last Friday, will have to check when I next go to it in storage.

Fire Brigade reckoned that when I had switched the Cadac off and left it there had already been a leakage and somehow a flame had 'travelled'...Insurance people came and looked at debris and agreed. The BBQ itself was almost undamaged but was scrapped.

geoff

Raises the question on the length of pipe on a Cadac for safety ? Recommended is a short pipe of a metre to stop trip hazard but in your incident a longer pipe would of been safer having the BbQ further away .

I like to have it at least 4 ft from the caravan or awning but that is for spitting fats .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Indeed Dave,my hose was the short one as recommended, We didn't barbecue at all for a year as SWMBO still has flashbacks. I now only use a Cadac with a stand alone bottle well away from the 'van.

geoff

• Like 1

My email states yellow plastic handle, so I assume red is OK?

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian X series 6.

My email states yellow plastic handle, so I assume red is OK?

I'm assuming the same - checked ours in our new van today and it's red, so not worrying about it.

• Like 1

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Thanks guys for the heads up, my vans a 2014 but that has from memory a Yellow handle, I'm going to pp down the storage today to confirm, I do realise that Truma have stated 2016/17

• Like 1

Les

I'm assuming the same - checked ours in our new van today and it's red, so not worrying about it.

l

The red ones are Bullfinch a different manufacturer.

• Like 2

2023 Swift Archway Woodford,   MK3Kuga  ST  Line X  2.0  Ecoblue. 190 ps  AWD Auto.

51 years caravanning. 

Our dealer has order 50 Truma valvesand then do a full pressure test, we have asked them surely Swift would have done a gas pressure test before signing off the paperwork ?

This is not just a recall, it is gross negligence ?

Edited by Oscarmax

2023 Suzuki Across Hybrid and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

Our dealer has order 50 Truma valvesand then do a full pressure test, we have asked them surely Swift would have done a gas pressure test before signing off the paperwork ?

Well I guess that's one way of describing it, another way would be that they are being diligent

Our 'van is a 2015 my and built around late 2014 and we never actually use the bbq point

Just checked to be on the safe side. Date code however is 9/14.

(It's actually quite hard to read the code, you can rotate the ring to bring the code into view and it may need a rub with a cloth to see it properly).

• Like 1

Bit of a sod really as our original was replaced under warranty a few months ago. Guess what it's a faulty one.

Will not affect us as the Unicorn has an isolation valve for just the BBQ circuit on the main manifold. And it's arranged to be replaced at next months annual service.

I understand that some makes do not have the ability to isolate just this circuit though.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

I haven't had a letter yet but mine is definitely one to go back now I have looked. It's a shame as it was just in at truma on Monday!!! I would have thought they would have said then !!

Although personally I haven't been informed but I believe a tightness test wouldn't pick up the problem as it only has the potential to leak whilst in use, ie when BBQ is plugged in. You can't run a tightness test when an appliance is in use! Edited by Caravanmedicswindon

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

I think we can expect just about all makes that fit what must be a pretty universally supplied component to have to recall the affected 'vans.

• Like 1

Had an email from Bailey, need to check my 2016 Madrid. It's at the dealers at the moment so have asked them to have a look.

Mark.

• Like 1

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

Update to my post on the Bailey part of CT which has been locked!

Just checked my Baily U3 Cadiz. The tap is 01-2016 so gave my dealer a ring and booked in for next Monday, he says it is only a 5 min job.

• Like 1

Although personally I haven't been informed but I believe a tightness test wouldn't pick up the problem as it only has the potential to leak whilst in use, ie when BBQ is plugged in. You can't run a tightness test when an appliance is in use!

So the plug they have sent out is the same as the fitting for the BBQ itself only no hole, it just clicks in therefore using the same mechanism to secure. ( it's a blank basically!), how is that stopping the fitting leaking?

I called at the trauma stand to day at the NEC. My Valencia has a isolation tap on the mai gas manifold for the BBQ Just turn it off there was the advice. No need for a blanking plug I you have a isolation tap. Many makers do of fit them so the letter has to cover that was there advice. So we can go on using the van till it's fixed.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)