Sign in to follow this  
conorandlucy

Airlock In Heating System

Our Vigo had it's first service on Saturday and all was good.

However, the AWS approved engineer discovered that there was an airlock in the Alde heating. He said that it would need to be connected up to something that would push the airlock through.

Does anyone know of a way that would clear this?

Thanks.

He was probably referring to the Alde sevice pump, which most Dealer workshops probably have.

It is possible to remove air locks by alternatively lowering the front and then the back of the van as far as possible.

Remember though that when bleeding the system, it should be done with the pump turned OFF, otherwise more air can be sucked in.

Edited by hp100425ev
  • Like 1

It can be done without the need for the pump, you may only be talking of a small amount of air, so not really necessary to pay if you can get the van as high as possible at the rear and open the bleed vale at the rear normally in the radiator in the wash room first and as already mentioned not with the pump on keep an eye on your coolant level and make sure you have the recommended fluid type and correct level after.

• Like 1

Cheers for the replies.

It has also been mentioned to me that you can turn a dial on the boiler up and then run the system to push it out?

Cheers for the replies.

It has also been mentioned to me that you can turn a dial on the boiler up and then run the system to push it out?

Presumably referring to the pump speed dial. It goes up to 5 and is usually somewhere between 2 and 3 for normal use. Ours is set at 2. If you are sure you have an airlock then bleeding the system as per the instructions is a simple if time consuming operation. What with raising alternate ends of the van etc. A call to Alde direct is always helpful they can advise re turning the pump up as a way of clearing it.

Using the pump speed change and bleeding air from the system is covered on section 5. 2 (page 11) of the manual here.

http://www. alde. co. uk/downloads/alde_3020_user. pdf

Section 5. 3 covers dealing with an airlock and the use of the special tool/pump.

(Assuming I have got the version correct which I think I have)

Edited by Tin_Snail
  • Like 2

Presumably referring to the pump speed dial. It goes up to 5 and is usually somewhere between 2 and 3 for normal use. Ours is set at 2. If you are sure you have an airlock then bleeding the system as per the instructions is a simple if time consuming operation. What with raising alternate ends of the van etc. A call to Alde direct is always helpful they can advise re turning the pump up as a way of clearing it.

Agreed Alan, Just checked the pump and the pump has a setting range to enable air bleed this is a photo of the recent pump I had fitted December last year, not sure if this will have any effect on introducing more air, so might be a good idea to call Alde for more info

1.Alde In line pump fitted 05.12.16

Edited by kiaboy

You may well have to find all the bleed valves, as air locks seem to prefer to hide at the one you don't know about.

Members here with a Bailey Vigo 3 who know where these bleeders all are could be very helpful in identifying them for you.

If you can access all the bleeders then using them really ought to irradicate the air lock.

Best of luck both in getting that info and doing the few minute job involved.

• Like 1

Our Vigo had it's first service on Saturday and all was good.

However, the AWS approved engineer discovered that there was an airlock in the Alde heating. He said that it would need to be connected up to something that would push the airlock through.

Does anyone know of a way that would clear this?

Thanks.

Why didn't the AWS engineer attach his Alde service pump to remove the air lock?.....it only takes a few minute.

Why didn't the AWS engineer attach his Alde service pump to remove the air lock?.....it only takes a few minute.

He might not know what he is doing or Alde approved :)

As it was a first service, would he have touched the Alde at all?

He might not have brought the kit, might not have fitted it, but told the OP he noted there was an issue, that could be purged with the Alde type pump kit. I am not sure we yet know. .

As it was a first service, would he have touched the Alde at all?

I

He might not have brought the kit, might not have fitted it, but told the OP he noted there was an issue, that could be purged with the Alde type pump kit. I am not sure we yet know. .

If he's a member of the AWS he needs to know what he is doing to allow him to charge the customer & the service pump is an essential piece of equipment that he should own.

You don't need to be Alde approved to attach a service pump to remove an airlock. If he identified an air lock he's obviously doing what he needed to do during the service.

Had a huge air lock on my Coachman bought new last year.

The instructions were completely useless as it only mentioned the bleed valve in the bathroom, it didn't mention the other two at the front corners of the caravan behind the seats.

A single axle as said, raise the front so high that the rear steadys touch the ground. Bleed the front.

Level, top up the fluid.

Drop the front all the way down and bleed the radiator in the bathroom.

Top up and that's it

For a twin wheeler the recommended method is to find a steep hill!

He mentioned something about a warranty issue. He also said he had the kit to do it but didn't want to step on anyone's toes with regards the warranty.

He mentioned something about a warranty issue. He also said he had the kit to do it but didn't want to step on anyone's toes with regards the warranty.

Hmmmmm.

• Like 1

Hmmmmm.

Exactly. ..

As I said earlier (post #10) maybe he did not know what he was doing ;) as all AWS guys should be covered to do any work without invalidating warranties. I use one and have not had any problems with any warranty work I have claimed for. .

Edited by kiaboy
  • Like 1

Perhaps he would have had to charge for the work whereas if it was returned to the dealer say, it would be done for free.

Ian

Perhaps he would have had to charge for the work whereas if it was returned to the dealer say, it would be done for free.

Ian

It would take maybe 10 minutes, I wouldn't charge extra if I was there servicing. ..hence why I originally asked the question why it wasn't done during the service.

It would also be very unlikely that a dealer would pump out an airlock under warranty.

Edited by Caravanmedicswindon

He has the kit and has told me it will be £50 for the first hour and £30 per hour after that and will take no longer than 2 hours as long as no fluid is required.

Edited by conorandlucy