Sign in to follow this  
beejay

Free French Toll Tag

Quickest way would be to scan the letter if possible saving it as a PDF file.

Then copy and paste the text into google translate.

Or if you feel unsure how to do this wait until I get mine and I will post a translation.

I am back home from the 'van tomorrow.

Not sure I can do that as I have a IPAD, but I did goggle it and have all the information, except I would like to download my invoice as I will be away for 6 months any idea on how to do that?

Not sure I can do that as I have a IPAD, but I did goggle it and have all the information, except I would like to download my invoice as I will be away for 6 months any idea on how to do that?

You should be able to just download it to your iPad and then save it on that.

• Like 1

Many thanks beejay, just applied for the tag. Had a bad experience two years ago at the tolls, not that a tag would have helped too much. Approaching a large toll area with numerous booths, I picked the wrong one, too low to get the 'van under. Very embarrassing having to reverse back and go to the opposite side of the area to get through. I suppose having the tag removes one of the problems at least.

Many thanks beejay, just applied for the tag. Had a bad experience two years ago at the tolls, not that a tag would have helped too much. Approaching a large toll area with numerous booths, I picked the wrong one, too low to get the 'van under. Very embarrassing having to reverse back and go to the opposite side of the area to get through. I suppose having the tag removes one of the problems at least.

Having a toll tag doesn't mean you do not have to be careful about lane selection.

The far left lane is normally height restricted and normally exclusively for class one vehicles with tags, they are designed so you can approach at 30kph and the barrier will lift before you reach it.

Other lanes that accept vehicles with a tag have a large orange t above them. You normally have to stop or almost stop before the barrier lifts.

Edited by Tin_Snail
  • Like 1

The far left lane is normally height restricted and normally exclusively for class one vehicles with tags, they are designed so you can approach at 30kph and the barrier will lift before you reach it.

That is not necessarily the case. I've just been south and north on the A63 and, on that autoroute at least, the left-hand 30 kph lane has no height restriction so you can go through with a car and caravan - Class 2. HGVs are not allowed through that lane.

That is not necessarily the case. I've just been south and north on the A63 and, on that autoroute at least, the left-hand 30 kph lane has no height restriction so you can go through with a car and caravan - Class 2. HGVs are not allowed through that lane.

Hence I was very very careful to use 'normally' twice.

I haven't travelled through all the booths in France and I suspected there may be some exceptions.

My tag arrived today. Instructions (along with pictures) in French. No great issues expected

I haven't travelled through all the booths in France and I suspected there may be some exceptions.

Unless you've been through more than half of the French booths, how do you know what is "normal"?? It seems to me that the left-hand 30k lanes are a relatively recent addition, so maybe they originally had a height restriction and now they're removing it (or vice-versa)!

Unless you've been through more than half of the French booths, how do you know what is "normal"?? It seems to me that the left-hand 30k lanes are a relatively recent addition, so maybe they originally had a height restriction and now they're removing it (or vice-versa)!

How exactly does this change my advice about being careful about lane selection?

Yes you may get through the left lane with a van but then as the poster I was responding to seemingly discovered you may not.

• Like 1

I follow the lorries. The lanes are wider.

• Like 1

How exactly does this change my advice about being careful about lane selection?

Yes you may get through the left lane with a van but then as the poster I was responding to seemingly discovered you may not.

There was supposed to be a "wink" after the first sentence in my last post, but it didn't come out. 😟

I'm not disagreeing with the need to look carefully for height restrictions, I've nearly come a cropper myself in the past.

Edited by Chalky9

We bought our tag 2 years ago, used it for 2 months and not since. Any idea if it will still work, or do I need to reactivate it somehow? I sent ATMB an email over a week ago (in French!) but have had no response, hence my question on here.

Edited by Blackpool Belle

Where there is a 30kph sans-arrêt (non-stop) lane it will be on the far left, have no height restriction and is for all vehicles with a tag.

At larger péages the left lane(s) may be height restricted and/or tag only

There may be lanes with classe 4 or an orange hexagon icon at the right and these charge classe 4 rates only to all vehicles us

hexa_orange.gift_classe4.gif

I guess we have only gone through 'larger ones.

We bought our tag 2 years ago, used it for 2 months and not since. Any idea if it will still work, or do I need to reactivate it somehow? I sent ATMB an email over a week ago (in French!) but have had no response, hence my question on here.

If you log into your account you can see a green blob next to your tag number - this shows if it is active.

Sanef reckon the batteries in their last between 5 and 7 years, I can't find the equivalent info. on ATMB web site.

• Like 1

Where there is a 30kph sans-arrêt (non-stop) lane it will be on the far left, have no height restriction and is for all vehicles with a tag.

At larger péages the left lane(s) may be height restricted and/or tag only

There may be lanes with classe 4 or an orange hexagon icon at the right and these charge classe 4 rates only to all vehicles us

hexa_orange.gift_classe4.gif

This post demonstrates that there is considerable variation between different péages and different autoroutes. I've seen signs restricting HGVs from using the left-hand 30k lane - so it's not necessarily for all vehicles with a tag; I've NOT seen any of the classe 4 only lanes on the right - so not necessarily any reason not to take advantage of the extra lane width when towing a caravan.

As Tin_Snail suggested, you need to have a good look ahead when approaching a péage to check the signs on the gantry and look for any height restrictions.

• Like 2

Just a quick thanks to the OP for the heads up on this - new ATMB tag was here when I got home.

Sanef tag sent off to Sanef in Harrogate and now awaiting a refund of the £20 deposit I paid when I opened the account.

Thanks again, it maybe only a few quid saved overall but it's better in my pocket than someone elses.

The non-stop lanes starting appearing in 2010. The were designed from the start specifically to include use by trucks as an anti-pollution measure by reducing stop/start at tolls - ergo there never were any height barriers.

Les voies de TSA ont été initialement conçues pour éviter aux poids lourds de s’arrêter et de redémarrer au péage,. . ...

The non-stop lanes were initially conceived to avoid trucks stopping and starting at the tolls. .....

This post demonstrates that there is considerable variation between different péages and different autoroutes. I've seen signs restricting HGVs from using the left-hand 30k lane - so it's not necessarily for all vehicles with a tag; I've NOT seen any of the classe 4 only lanes on the right - so not necessarily any reason not to take advantage of the extra lane width when towing a caravan.

I've never seen a non-stop lane closed to trucks and I've probably used about 30 different ones over the years. If alane was faulty it would apply to all vehicles.

The reference to classe four only lanes was to draw attention to the fact that any tagged vehicle passing through them will be charged classe 4 rate. As the gantry signs over lanes can be varied perhaps you have passed through at a time when classe 4 was not in use (no trucks at weekends)

I've never seen a non-stop lane closed to trucks and I've probably used about 30 different ones over the years. If alane was faulty it would apply to all vehicles.

The reference to classe four only lanes was to draw attention to the fact that any tagged vehicle passing through them will be charged classe 4 rate. As the gantry signs over lanes can be varied perhaps you have passed through at a time when classe 4 was not in use (no trucks at weekends).

As mentioned in an earlier post I travelled south and north on the A63 recently. At at least one péage the far left-hand 30k lane was posted with a sign precluding use by poids lourds. This would seem logical as the péage had at least 8 lanes and you would hardly want a big truck going all the way over to the left to pass through the toll and then all the way back to the right afterwards.

My last trip was on a Tuesday, so there were plenty of trucks. ............

If you log into your account you can see a green blob next to your tag number - this shows if it is active.

Sanef reckon the batteries in their last between 5 and 7 years, I can't find the equivalent info. on ATMB web site.

Thanks very much Tin Snail - I logged in & its described as "actif" so problem solved.

• Like 1

There's no green blob on my ATMB account. Presumably tin_snail is referring to a SANEF account.

I've had my tag nearly 4 years and have never 'reactivated' it. It just works. The marketing name 'liber-t evasion' implies it's for holiday use so presumably ATMB understand it may be used only a few times a year. Relax; it will work. :)

• Like 1

There's no green blob on my ATMB account. Presumably tin_snail is referring to a SANEF account.

I've had my tag nearly 4 years and have never 'reactivated' it. It just works. The marketing name 'liber-t evasion' implies it's for holiday use so presumably ATMB understand it may be used only a few times a year. Relax; it will work. :)

No in fact I wasn't.

IORSGwIh.png

Click on

Vos abonnements en cours > Gerez vos abonnements
BTW - I think the name 'Evasion' stems from it meaning you can 'evade' some of the normal charges like deposit, set up fee and monthly charges in the first year.
(The French for 'holiday' is 'vacances' not evasion.)
Edited by Tin_Snail

Evasion in French = Escape in English.

. ....from charges.

Thanks Tin Snail & Hawkeye - it's good to hear from someone who has been in a similar position. I too have the Actif green blob so am not worrying now.