Hymer Takeover Elddis

It would appear not Gravon. Elddis, like Cadbury is part of our heritage, at least for my generation.

What exactly is built in Britain by British owned companies nowadays ????

Bromptons.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No

If my new van turns out to be a dud I want Alan and Silverback to represent me in court. :-)

A good point and well made. My answer is one commonly heard when these vans are discussed. We like them, the style, the interiors and of course the premium nature of the beast. Only human after all

Posted Images

What is interesting is that all these takeovers seem to be uncontested as it seems the companies concerned clearly did not see any benefit in remaining independent. I suppose for overseas buyers it is a good time to invest as the price paid for them is a lot less than it would have been two years ago. I expect Hymer is more interested in the motorhome business. Be interesting to see, if in time, they dispose of the caravan part? With the UK's exit from the EU it could mean that the value of our currency will remain depressed for some years. That makes it more difficult for Continental motorhomes to appear good value so they could be hedging their bets.

David

On the other hand - perhaps the Euro will take a dive and the £ will surge ahead. Maybe we shouldn't continue on thus theme
  • Like 1

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

I owned a foreign built van before and it was great, hopefully they will sort all the Elddis problems.

Doubt it though.

Ian

Edited by IanV8

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Delivery of Buccaneer Commodore expected April 6th. Will Hymer have waved a magic wand over it by then?

I think it is unlikely that the they will be able to make revolutionary chsnges. It is likely to be incremental. So I think the only change that you will notice for your van is it will have an offside door.

• Like 3

Two years from now, the UK will be in the advanced stages of leaving the EU. Meanwhile the EU will be in the advanced stages of leaving the world. Hymer are hedging. Others will follow.

• Like 1

Ern

A lot of people on here bang on about the quality of Hymer, there are also quite a lot who don't rate them whatsoever, as far as I am concerned I will definitely consider a Hymer as our next van as the Dealer is only two miles away from us

Les

Two years from now, the UK will be in the advanced stages of leaving the EU. Meanwhile the EU will be in the advanced stages of leaving the world. Hymer are hedging. Others will follow.

Exactly

Hymer haven't bought the explorer group for its products or manufacturing skills but it does become a game player for acquisition due to the low pound and a platform to export to the rest of the world away from EU constraints when the UK cuts its deals (Triple whammy) IMHO I cant see the model range staying as it, reckon it will be hymers body shells with British interiors, another whammy for Hymer selling to the British market and definitely one to watch for the UK buyer . . Happy Days

Edited by Silverback

Both Dethleffs and Burstner are part of Hymer and they have maintained distinct ranges so it is likely that Elddis will as well. But obviously Hymer have bought a Doer upper.

Both Dethleffs and Burstner are part of Hymer and they have maintained distinct ranges so it is likely that Elddis will as well. But obviously Hymer have bought a Doer upper.

Cant see Hymer trying to fix something that doesn't work and compromise their name, the costs would be greater than implementing already known shell designs that work.

Explorer groups products seem to have been dire over the last view years and even though they look good aren't viewed as durable IMHO. Any buyer would need to break away from that quickly and obviously Hymer have a strategy within their acquisition and I think its to increase their market area adapting their own proven products. Time will tell. ;)

• Like 1

Cant see Hymer trying to fix something that doesn't work and compromise their name, the costs would be greater than implementing already known shell designs that work.

Explorer groups products seem to have been dire over the last view years and even though they look good aren't viewed as durable IMHO. Any buyer would need to break away from that quickly and obviously Hymer have a strategy within their acquisition and I think its to increase their market area adapting their own proven products. Time will tell. ;)

It's not just the body shell either. The way that they design and put together their furniture across the range is criminal for the prices charged. Little alloy brackets, holding structural furniture components together, with the shear and pull strains that vans on the road are subjected to is just poor. Reminds me of a company called MFI and their cheapest range years ago. It's a shame as the layouts and decor have much to admire.

As for the Top of the range 30k plus. I'm sorry but adding every conceivable extra to something does not make it a quality item. Quality comes from the basic design and execution. No manufacturer on our market has a right to be complacent about it, but at least some are trying to drag themselves up the ladder a bit. Look at the way Hymer put together their furniture and expect massive changes or the dropping of existing designs and replaced by Hymer existing products.

Hope I'm around in 5 years to see what has happened.

Also I wonder if the new owners will honour the 10 year warranty offer on the Buccaneers?

Unless it is written into the terms of the take over I fear the answer will be No legally, but hopefully yes morally. Hymer are a responsible company with a gold star reputation. They will wish to maintain that I hope, for the existing owners. Will be interesting to ask some questions at the NEC any bets on getting honest answers.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Oh Jigger. Have the class of 2017 jumped the gun then?

It's all speculative cake tomorrow though. By the time there are major improvements I'll have deterio rated further than the van's do.

• Like 1

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

I would say that Hymer will stand by the promises made by Explorer, especially the warranty terms. Whatever their marketing plan they need their reputation to succeed in the UK and elsewhere. It could well be that Hymer see their UK operation as key to the USA market, an opportunity (even though wholly German owned) which no EU company would have.

Edited by Ern
  • Like 1

Ern

I would say that Hymer will stand by the promises made by Explorer, especially the warranty terms. Whatever their marketing plan they need their reputation to succeed in the UK and elsewhere. It could well be that Hymer see their UK operation as key to the USA market, an opportunity (even though wholly German owned) which no EU company would have.

Thats a good point.

Re the warranty being honoured, its often drummed out on this forum that the contract is with the dealer, so what difference should a new owner make if you buy a product with a 10 year warranty shouldn't the dealer legally then be required to honour the warranty. ?

• Like 1

Hymer have bought Explorer as a going concern so I think that any warranty issues would have to be honoured. I think that they do export some MH to the USA.

They also bought an American (possibly Canadian) RV maker. I stumbled over a You Tube clip of the deal being signed. Lots of middle aged American Suits smiling at lots of middle aged German suits. Quite possibly the most boring film on You Tube, but an American had posted a comment saying it was a great move as he hoped that modern innovations such as double glazed plastic windows would be available on US RV's.

Thats a good point.

Re the warranty being honoured, its often drummed out on this forum that the contract is with the dealer, so what difference should a new owner make if you buy a product with a 10 year warranty shouldn't the dealer legally then be required to honour the warranty. ?

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 the dealer's responsibility ends after 6 years in England and Wales, 5 years in Scotland so after the 6 years I guess you are relying on the goodwill of the dealership and manufacturer if they are both still in existence. The only way around it is an expensive court case to demonstrate that the 10 year warranty influence you to buy that caravan and not another brand however you should have the Advertising standards on board with you.

The Explorer Group haven't gone bust, Erwin Hymer Group have acquired 100% of their shares and own the company as a going concern, all manufactures warranties will still be valid . .. Similar to when the owners of Truma acquired Powertouch movers.

Erwin-Hymer-Group-acquires-The-Explorer-Group-Ltd. ,-one-of-the-leading-manufacturers-of-motorhomes-and-caravans-in-the-UK. pdf

http://www. erwinhymergroup. com/aktuelles/pressemitteilungen. php?lang=en

Edited by Silverback

Thats a good point.

In theory yes. Look at the adverts etc and it always refers to a 'manufacturers warranty' given a friendly judge and a well prepared case if you can argue that the dealer promised it and, verbally or in the paperwork did not inform you that this was a Manufacturers Warranty, and it was a causation factor in your decision then yes you would stand a chance of winning against the dealer.

It's a bit like the fog created by the small print, where once you have actually got to read it you find that say, the microwave is only covered for 12 months by the manufacturer. Given a claim they are entitled to say no because that's what their warranty states. The dealer however is covered by the CRA so in theory its 6 years for the Microwave. Because any sensible person would expect that as a minimum life span for something that is only used a few times a year,

The whole warranty issue is one big run around orchestrated by dealers and manufacturers to try and avoid paying out as much as possible, whilst at the same time advertising it in the best possible way.

How wonder how many people on here with Explorer Group Vans would have made that purchase if the banner headlines for the warranty were to include. "We only cover plastic components for 12 months" as well as the 10 years body claim. or Swift with their restriction on travel for more than 90 days outside the UK. Other manufacturers need to be investigated as well.

Read the warranty properly is probably the second most important thing you can do before signing on the dotted line.

• Like 2

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

We bought our Affinity in 2013 based on the features it offered for the price, unique layout, style/comfort and the promise of a construction method called "Solid". The price, layout and style/comfort were perfect. .. the build quality was nothing short of abysmal.

If Hymer can bring German quality to their construction design and build process whilst retaining the positive side of the Elddis brand then it could be a win-win situation. Only time will tell though. ..

Mark.

• Like 2

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

We bought our Affinity in 2013 based on the features it offered for the price, unique layout, style/comfort and the promise of a construction method called "Solid". The price, layout and style/comfort were perfect. .. the build quality was nothing short of abysmal.

If Hymer can bring German quality to their construction design and build process whilst retaining the positive side of the Elddis brand then it could be a win-win situation. Only time will tell though. ..

Mark.

It's the time we ain't got though!

• Like 1

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

The dealer isn't obliged to honour the "manufacture's warranty" if the manufacture goes bust and you wouldn't gain anything on perusing them to within a court, except finance loss with the court costs but any good legal representative wouldn't advise you to take it to court.

If a manufacturer went bust, then you would have redress to the dealer for some issues up to possibly six years but not all issues would fall under the consumers rights acts if the caravan was fit for purpose, of reasonable quality, reasonable durability with wear & tear enforcing "betterment" all these will considered. (Basically if the caravan is doing the job with very basic quality, that's it) Then you have the manufactures warranty of individual components with their terms and conditions.

If a manufacture goes bust it may be worth paying for a insurance backed warranty through a dealer or it maybe beneficial to the dealer to purchase the warranty for their customers and save them future outlay under their legal responsibilities but I doubt they will. If you have finance on the caravan your rights will still be in place under the consumer credit act and you maybe able to retrieve some or all monies back if a fault preventing use is not repaired by the dealer or manufacturer.

All of the above doesn't really matter though because the Explorer Group are still in business and have to honour their manufacture warranties by law, if all their terms and conditions have been met . ... so happy days.

• Like 1

I'm lost I never at any time suggested pursuing the Manufacturer in the Courts or using the courts to pursue a dealer for not sticking to the terms of the warranty. Exactly the opposite. It does not require a manufacturer to go bust before you have redress against a dealer. The law says that you have redress against the dealer full stop.

The act covers the whole of any item including it's components parts, fit finish etc. and it must be as described so if it is being sold as a luxury item etc then it must confirm to that.

As per the Act.

2) The quality of goods is satisfactory if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would consider satisfactory, taking account of—
a)any description of the goods,
b)the price or other consideration for the goods (if relevant), and
c)all the other relevant circumstances (see subsection (5)).

3)The quality of goods includes their state and condition; and the following aspects (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods—
a)fitness for all the purposes for which goods of that kind are usually supplied;
b)appearance and finish;
c)freedom from minor defects;
d)safety;
e)durability.

The act covers all parts of the van. Any time elements also apply to the whole product.
So the reasonable person test will be applied.
As always with this act it is the courts that will decided what is reasonable.

Actually neither did I mention the Manufacture, I referred to the pursuit of a dealer for a manufactures warranty that you mentioned in your post.

"Re the warranty being honoured, its often drummed out on this forum that the contract is with the dealer, so what difference should a new owner make if you buy a product with a 10 year warranty shouldn't the dealer legally then be required to honour the warranty. ?"

"In theory yes. Look at the adverts etc and it always refers to a 'manufacturers warranty' given a friendly judge and a well prepared case if you can argue that the dealer promised it and, verbally or in the paperwork did not inform you that this was a Manufacturers Warranty, and it was a causation factor in your decision then yes you would stand a chance of winning against the dealer" http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/120863-hymer-takeover-elddis/?p=1431363

No "well prepared case" would convince a judge to enforce a dealer to honour a manufactures warranty if that manufacture had gone bust. With all respect you can quote the consumers credit act (Which is an excellent act for the consumer) till the cows come home but unfortunately it will not give you the benefits of a manufactures warranty in length of term or coverage. http://www. which. co. uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act#product-quality

Still don't understand I have never said use the court to enforce a dealer to honor a manufacturers warranty gone bust or not. But to use the dealers verbal or written use of the warranty as a sales pitch to enforce your rights under the Consumer protection legislation.