Sign in to follow this  
LittleGreyCat

Alko Wheel Lock Fitting - Tips And Tricks?

Hi all, purchased an AL-KO wheel lock today after initially shying away because of the price. Took the van for a warranty job and they had a lock in their shop, the dealer gave me a 10% discount for being in the caravan club. The point is it is brilliant, worth every penny!

You should be able to get a reduction on your insurance as well, if you are with CAMC

They're a good lock, Bob. Many moan about them, saying that they're difficult to fit, but I've never found that to be the case, even before I had movers fitted. (then again I don't have a twin axle!) And others will say that they're easy to cut off, but I've never seen evidence to back that up.

Main thing against them is price, but because they are wheel-specific you can usually pick one up second hand . .. often the dealers sell one on that's come in on a trade-in.

John

Hi all, purchased an AL-KO wheel lock today after initially shying away because of the price. Took the van for a warranty job and they had a lock in their shop, the dealer gave me a 10% discount for being in the caravan club. The point is it is brilliant, worth every penny!

They are only "brilliant" when you remember to fit them, or at least align the wheel with the receiver before you have ramp under wheel, steadies down, awning up and pegged etc. I'm sure we have all done it at some point. .. :D
  • Like 2

It took me years to get use to the Alko lock, used it for 6 years,but as my new caravan hasn't come with one I'm happy not to replace it.

Instead I've bought a full stop which can still use the reciever if i want to.

As i park 1" away from my shed more times than not the reciever never lined up, so that involved jacking up the caravan after ever tour. A pain in the rear.

They are only "brilliant" when you remember to fit them, or at least align the wheel with the receiver before you have ramp under wheel, steadies down, awning up and pegged etc. I'm sure we have all done it at some point. . . :D

For the first year yes. :)

OK, i went to purchase a wheel on Friday and the guy in the shop has put me off.

He says they are very hard to put on and you need to jack the van up each time?

is this true? is it hard to line up, i do not have a motor mover.

Thanks in advance !

On a single axle with a motormover a cinch. Without a mm a pain. If solo I imagine a right royal pain.

You do have to jack up to rotate the wheel & line up the bolt, other than that the lock is a very neat bit of kit.

We have one and I have established a technique which works a treat. I should add that we do a fair bit of touring so we use the wheel lock often. When manouvering the caravan into place, remember that the lock goes on first (before any other tasks like corner steadies), and it's easy.

On level ground - Move caravan to place and adjust for wheel lock. Fit lock.

On side sloping ground - move caravan to place with ramp under appropriate wheel to get lateral level. Shove the other ramp on top of the first so that you can then move the van back/forth on a level surface, whilst maintaining lateral level. Fit lock.

This procedure really works. I never ever use a jack.

Edited by Ern

On a single axle with a motormover a cinch. Without a mm a pain. If solo I imagine a right royal pain.

+1

With a motormover there is no jacking. Easy to line up by eye and I like it.

When I was without a mover due to the motor falling off my 10 year old mover and needing a new mover I had to site the caravan on a fairly steeply sloping pitch using the car. OH could not tell me when the wheel was lined up! So I had to keep getting out of the car, checking and moving slightly, getting out checking . ..................... etc.

OK, i went to purchase a wheel on Friday and the guy in the shop has put me off.

He says they are very hard to put on and you need to jack the van up each time?

is this true? is it hard to line up, i do not have a motor mover.

Thanks in advance !

The Bulldog version is much easier to fit . . but Alko stopped them producing their version . , so you have to buy a used one . . (as I did)

Edited by Disco Kid

Here's a good tip to prevent getting your nice alloy wheel scratched.

I've put some adhesive foam on the lock where it come in contact with the wheel.

The tape I used is a good quality thin foam type grey in colour.

I used to put some on my hard hat at work to prevent it rubbing on my head.

We are changing the caravan, (picking the new one up on 9th June). The new van comes with an ALKO receiver already fitted, so I priced the correct lozenge for it. It's £300+ and they haven't got any in stock. They've got 2 on order, and they already have 2 other people waiting, so they couldn't guarantee that we'd get it by handover day. Instead, I've bought a Purpleline Nemesis Ultra, (£118 with discount with loyalty card), and the workshop are going to fit the receiver bolt for me. Caravanguard, (my insurer), are happy with it too.

Mike.

• Like 2

Thinking of buying Al-Ko lock. How do you fit the receiver?

8 minutes ago, David Oakley said:

Thinking of buying Al-Ko lock. How do you fit the receiver?

If you mean the receiver fitted to the chassis, then you dont.

Either the caravan has a receiver fitted or it doesnt.

Most vans since around 2009 have the receiver fitted.

Edited by hp100425ev

On 22/05/2017 at 08:48, Ern said:

We have one and I have established a technique which works a treat. I should add that we do a fair bit of touring so we use the wheel lock often. When manouvering the caravan into place, remember that the lock goes on first (before any other tasks like corner steadies), and it's easy.

On level ground - Move caravan to place and adjust for wheel lock. Fit lock.

On side sloping ground - move caravan to place with ramp under appropriate wheel to get lateral level. Shove the other ramp on top of the first so that you can then move the van back/forth on a level surface, whilst maintaining lateral level. Fit lock.

This procedure really works. I never ever use a jack.

We recently bought a 2nd hand alko wheel lock for our van. Just been up the storage to fit it .... and boy what a faff. 

We dont have a motor mover for starters, and the OH is somewhat hard work ... so i may aswell be flying solo !! 

By eye it looked spot on but when holding the red lozenge up against the wheel, the receiver was millimetres off. Faffing pushing & pulling the van using a brick as a chock didnt help as as soon as i go yep thats it, OH applyies handbrake and the movement mis-aligned it again 😤

After about the 6th attempt we got the thing lined up and on. And the van still within its parking space!

I store the van with handbrake off anyway so just omitted that part and just relied on the brick chock once aligned.

Qustion is any idiot proof aligning tips ?!

Or is a motor mover the next best purchase ... or a divorce!! 😵🥴🤗

3 hours ago, montymal53 said:

We recently bought a 2nd hand alko wheel lock for our van. Just been up the storage to fit it .... and boy what a faff …

Qustion is any idiot proof aligning tips ?

Montymal, 3 tips that may help -

Once I get near to the correct alignment, I never push and pull the van … instead I move the tow hitch slightly left or right which has the effect of turning the wheel slightly without getting it to a point where the van wants to roll.

Also, when I first got the van I marked the alignment points on the wheel so that lining up is easier.

Lastly, don't push the Alko lozenge straight into the wheel recess before putting the bolt in … instead, hold it out a few centimetres with the bolt sticking through and get it onto the threads first.

Good luck, John.

• Like 1