Holiday Insurance For Over 70s

I am sure everybody is aware of the importance of health insurance. In the past I have used RP. But then managed to find cheaper alternatives. In the future I will be re-looking at RP as I'm 69 next month with some health issues. I think they do a good product and that the application is a bit simpler than others.

10 years ago I took ill in Hong Kong. Should have been flying home the next day. My health insurance kicked in (can't remember the company). They booked the next flight which was 5 days away. Paid for my hotel, paid for the doctors and arranged a chauffeur from Heathrow to my front door.

The best thing was I felt much better the next day so had an extended holiday.

If my illness turned out to be serious I would have been in real trouble without the insurance.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

N/Wide includes motoring cover.

knarf

However they will not cover a UK caravan that is 8. 14m in length. This was confirmed on the phone so although we have the benefits of the Flexaccount which includes EU travel we cannot use it.

No it is higher as my wife is 80.

If people are taking insurance it's important to check current T&Cs - Nationwide definitely states upto 75 years (older with age premium). I appreciate it may have been different in the past.

http://www. nationwide. co. uk/products/current-accounts/flexplus/insurances-and-benefits#xtab:worldwide-travel-insurance

See exclusions.

Edited by MillieDog

- Nationwide definitely states upto 75 years (older with age premium).

Yes that is why I at 78 and my wife 80 are covered by Nationwide Flexplus Travel Insurence.

I can see no upper age limit quoted so we are OK so long as Medical screening is past and additional money paid.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Yes that is why I at 78 and my wife 80 are covered by Nationwide Flexplus Travel Insurence.

I can see no upper age limit quoted so we are OK so long as Medical screening is past and additional money paid.

Hi David,

Apologies, I wasn't trying to cause you concern that you weren't covered.

I just wanted to make sure people reading this thread didn't assume cover for over 75s, but checked the exclusions.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

No problem Steve.

I was just checking to see if an upper limit was in place.

I feel sure NW and other banks running these insurence schemes are the best for Seniors.

If going outside the EU particularly going to the USA I told they can't be beat because of the Worldwide cover inclusion.

• Like 1

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

I get a letter each year which advises me of the renewal price of the declared items do not think I'm required to contact them if no changes. If I do nothing they automatically take the money quoted.

Regards, David

Phoned RP and done the insurance with them as less onerous than Nationwide plus of course the motoring cover.

If you have Flex Plus you have medical cover so isn't it possible to get just vehicle breakdown cover cheaper?

knarf

I get a letter each year which advises me of the renewal price of the declared items do not think I'm required to contact them if no changes. If I do nothing they automatically take the money quoted.

Their terms and conditions state:

"There is an upper age limit of 75. Once you turn 75, you must contact us in order to be medically screened and to pay an additional premium. There is a requirement for you to call and be screened every year."

knarf

I

If you have Flex Plus you have medical cover so isn't it possible to get just vehicle breakdown cover cheaper?

knarf

Because of my medical condition, they refused to process my Flexplus application despite all the other criteria being more than okay. Annoying!

Something to be aware of is if you have cover provided through a bank account and you take out cover with a different company i. e. R/P,in the event of a claim you are required to notify the company you are making the claim with that you also have cover provided by your bank.

knarf

Their terms and conditions state:

"There is an upper age limit of 75. Once you turn 75, you must contact us in order to be medically screened and to pay an additional premium. There is a requirement for you to call and be screened every year."

knarf

I

That is different to the current yearly letter I have.

I'm required to tell them if anything as changed.

If I'm happy with the quote and nothing changed I have to phone and ok the payment that they have quoted in the letter. ( Earlier I said it was automatic I was wrong, sorry.)

So unless a change being notified no screening each year.

So if the next letter says the same up to now no change in our conditions one phone call will be made to accept the payment being advised.

Regards, David

Something to be aware of is if you have cover provided through a bank account and you take out cover with a different company i. e. R/P,in the event of a claim you are required to notify the company you are making the claim with that you also have cover provided by your bank.

knarf

Not sure why because in our case the Flexaccount EU insurance would not cover us as we did not pay the extra premium as is basically invalid for EU travel.

I might be wrong but I think if your bank does do free travel insurence that it is not automatic and you have to do something to activate it.

Regards, David

knarf

But does that apply to bank/building society insurance which requires an additional fee for medical conditions which you have refused to pay? As far as I am concerned, despite having a letter from my Building Society that I have free insurance the fact that I refuse to pay the additional medical fees makes it null and void.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

But does that apply to bank/building society insurance which requires an additional fee for medical conditions which you have refused to pay? As far as I am concerned, despite having a letter from my Building Society that I have free insurance the fact that I refuse to pay the additional medical fees makes it null and void.

That is where the problem lies,if the insurance co checks and it discovers that you have insurance through the bank/building society it can get difficult.

You could be accused of failing to disclose,that is why it is necessary to inform that you may be double insured.

If you refuse to pay the additional medical fees on N/W for example you may still be covered for basic insurance which excludes you medical conditions.

The N/W flex plus insurance terms and conditions state as part of the Flex plus account you are insured and it seems you are unless you close the account.

It doesn't make any difference to the settlement but can have a delaying effect,it is no problem to notify them that it is possible that you may be double insured and let them sort it out with the Bank/Building Society

The same thing applies to all insurance policies,ie,you get Phone insurance with Flexplus acc and your phone may also be covered by your household policy.

http://www. gocompare. com/travel-insurance/double-cover/

knarf

Edited by KNARF

Red Pennant do not ask you to disclose whether you have insurance elsewhere however it is fraud to claim for the same problem from tow different insurance companies. .

It's important to carefully read the small print in insurance documents,the company may not require you to tell them and you may not even know you have double insurance.

It's only fraud if you try to claim on both insurers and deliberately don't disclose that you have claimed from the other insurer.

A lot of insurers have it written in the small print that in the event of double insurance they will only pay a share,that's when it gets messy with Insurers arguing about the proportion. It's better not to avoid double insurance if you are aware of it.

I can't understand why people have a fee paying bank account and then don't take advantage of the benefits available to them!

knarf

• Like 1

I no longer try to understand why people do weird things (especially after last year) so just shake my head sorrowfully. ....

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1955 Francis Barnett Cruiser 75

David

Just like my RBS travel insurance.

If you do not pay an extra £50 per annum -on reaching 70 the RBS will continue to take your cash every month but you will not have travel insurance.

If you do not pay an extra £50 per annum -on reaching 70 the RBS will continue to take your cash every month but you will not have travel insurance.

Why do you continue with that account what other benefits do they offer to make it worthwhile?

knarf

Of course they will - until you tell them you no longer want that account! What else do you get for the fee?

For me,paying the age supplement and medical supplement still worked out a lot cheaper than any other travel insurance I could buy.

If I didn't get the insurance there would be no point in paying £10 per month(N/W Flexplus) I'd close the account.

knarf

• Like 1