Holiday Insurance For Over 70s

Its finally arrived-I will be 70 in April!

Got my new driving license already just cannot bring myself to cut my old paper license in two and send it to DVLA.

Farewell 7. 5 ton trucks its 3500 kilos from now on.

Even my motorbike license is now defunct-legs to weak.

Read my bank Platinum account insurance details-over 70 entails a £50 surcharge!

So thats £16 a month for the account plus £50 each The Wife is an older woman 71 that comes to £342 for a years cover!

We both have existing medical conditions.

Saga quoted £186 for a years cover-a considerable saving of £156 per annum.

Is Saga a reputable company?

Where do others get their travel insurance?

Comments and advice welcome

From my experiance SAGA are not a reputable company. They hide under the illlusion that they do a good deal for the elderly. Well they don't. My late step father was paying an extortinate amount for his car insurance as he fell into the trap of not checking each year to see if he had the best deal. However sayiing that they will probuably do you a good deal for the first year then watch out after that. We had overseas health insurance with them some years ago. Whilst in France my wife cut her leg badly and although we used the E111 ( that does not work that well ) there was some extra payments to be paid,we tried to claim of SAGA but with a wriggle hear and wriggle there we still ended up out of pocket. When we came to renew the following year we nearly fell over laughing with thier quote,obviously our business was no longer wanted.

• Like 2

Agree with ME re. Saga! I normally use Lifesure. ;)

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

My wife and I had Annual Travel Health Cover with Saga. ....in line with insurance needs I told them I was due for a cystoscopy for test purposes. ...for possible prostate problems. I was rung a month later and asked if I had undergone the operation, I said it was a procedure not an operation and I was awaiting results. They then wrote to me cancelling the account but offering to cover me on a trip by trip basis. ..so a caravan trip into Scotland would be £190. ..even though the results were not known and that any medical problems would be dealt with by NHS!

Four months later I got a letter asking me why I had cancelled the Policy and offering a new one. ........go forth and multiply was my answer!

No they were great as a car and caravan insurer but lousy for health cover.

geoff

p. s. Now have cover with Lloyds Bank till I am 80.

Edited by shipbroker

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Ance

Your bank sounds expensive.

Ours if with Nationwide Flex+ account.

Wife is 80 and we get Worldwide annual cover with our medical conditions declared it is £240 to pay.

The account costs £12 a month but we get comprehensive car breakdown cover as well and a few other bits and pieces.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

I get my travel insurance from Caravan Club Red Pennant, and also breakdown/recovery. We've both got pre-exisitng medical conditions.

Land Rover on SORN so not towing anything for a while

Where do others get their travel insurance?

Comments and advice welcome

Being an oldie of 87 years, about the only place I can find that will give me the sort of cover I need for the four winter months abroad is the Caravan Club. They give me cover for car and caravan breakdown, personal health cover plus a number of other eventualities. They always want a medical screening but in spite of my pacemaker implant and my reliance on warfarin, they give me the cover I require for £290 a time. As I have in the past had a substantial claim settled by them without any quibbles, I'm happy with the premium.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Annual policy with the Post Office. About £105 for the year with one pre-condition.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Ance

Your bank sounds expensive.

Ours if with Nationwide Flex+ account.

Wife is 80 and we get Worldwide annual cover with our medical conditions declared it is £240 to pay.

The account costs £12 a month but we get comprehensive car breakdown cover as well and a few other bits and pieces.

Its RBS so of course its not a bargain.

Read my bank Platinum account insurance details-over 70 entails a £50 surcharge!

So thats £16 a month for the account plus £50 each The Wife is an older woman 71 that comes to £342 for a years cover!

We both have existing medical conditions.

We have the same account, only one charge of £50 as the policy covers you both.

The monthly charge gives you other benefits like breakdown cover and Tastecard, which gives 50% / 2 for 1 when eating out. Just twice a month of eating out saves more that the account charge!

https://www. tastecard. co. uk/ You will not be paying for Tastecard

So, if the charges are covered by savings on benefits, £50 for a year's travel insurance for two people is cheap. You can exclude your medical conditions.

Edited by Wunny

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

We have the same account, only one charge of £50 as the policy covers you both.

The monthly charge gives you other benefits like breakdown cover and Tastecard, which gives 50% / 2 for 1 when eating out. Just twice a month of eating out saves more that the account charge!

https://www. tastecard. co. uk/ You will not be paying for Tastecard

So, if the charges are covered by savings on benefits, £50 for a year's travel insurance for two people is cheap. You can exclude your medical conditions.

Tried to use the Tastecard but found it just did not suit our lifestyle we prefer just to go for a drive when weather suits and eat at our favourite places at times that suit us.

Tried to use the currency option and was told I would have to drive into Edinburgh and park at the fabulous RBS main bank!!!!

Park in the middle of Edinburgh???

So the Platinum account is just for travel insurance.

My vehicle is a Motability lease complete with superb-in my experience-breakdown RAC cover tyres glass-the works-so need for anything provided by platinum.

Tried to use the Tastecard but found it just did not suit our lifestyle we prefer just to go for a drive when weather suits and eat at our favourite places at times that suit us.

Tried to use the currency option and was told I would have to drive into Edinburgh and park at the fabulous RBS main bank!!!!

Park in the middle of Edinburgh???

So the Platinum account is just for travel insurance.

My vehicle is a Motability lease complete with superb-in my experience-breakdown RAC cover tyres glass-the works-so need for anything provided by platinum.

Fair enough.

OH uses Tastecard when doing ladies that lunch each week, it suits them, so for us it's worthwhile.

I have Britannia Rescue which covers both of us, whatever vehicle we are using, or are in, so is good for my motorcycles and the car came with AA cover for the 1st year, so RBS cover was wasted, if it was ever needed.

We rarely use foreign currency, so that's not used either

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

The problem with travel insurance is the small print.

I have given up on annual policies. Most, if not all, have a clause requiring you to notify them of ANY visits to the doctor / hospital even if no treatment ensues.

Then, when you do notify, and even if you have had no treatment, they can and do charge a substantial "change fee".

If you don't notify and make a claim they will trawl through your medical records for any excuse not to pay out through "non-disclosure".

Therefore we get individual trip insurance at the last possible moment.

Volvo V70 D4 Estate automatic Swift Challenger SE 580

Therefore we get individual trip insurance at the last possible moment.

That would cost us a small fortune as we take several trips a year.

Also have to do medical screening each time.

Also would have to done prior or same time as booking, people do forget you need insurence in place at time of booking. you do not want to loose out if you have to cancel.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

I get my travel insurance from Caravan Club Red Pennant, and also breakdown/recovery. We've both got pre-exisitng medical conditions.

We both have pre-existing medical conditions and no restriction from Red Pennant. Annual cost is about £309.

Edited by Durbanite

We use Nationwide.

Insurance covers upto 75 years. The Flex plus account is £10 per month. This can be reduced as you get 3% interest on upto £2500 in the account.

We use Nationwide.

Insurance covers upto 75 years. The Flex plus account is £10 per month. This can be reduced as you get 3% interest on upto £2500 in the account.

We wanted to change to the Flexplus but because of existing medical issues, they would not progress the application.

We wanted to change to the Flexplus but because of existing medical issues, they would not progress the application.

We have N/W Flex plus account never had any problems with declared medical issues.

knarf

• Like 1

We have N/W Flex plus account never had any problems with declared medical issues.

knarf

They wanted a large payment for 31 days travel in the EU. I think it was about £250.

They wanted a large payment for 31 days travel in the EU. I think it was about £250.

I pay an excess of £150 for myself and wife which covers existing medical issues and over 75 age suppllement for worldwide travel

etc.

knarf

We use Nationwide.

Insurance covers up to 75 years.

No it is higher as my wife is 80.

Regards, David

Phoned RP and done the insurance with them as less onerous than Nationwide plus of course the motoring cover.

N/Wide includes motoring cover.

knarf

Many thanks for the many informative responses I am going to spend tomorrow morning ringing round to get some quotes.

Problem is always going to be you do not know the quality of the insurance until you try and claim.

On this very small sample Saga is not getting even an average rating!

Might go down the library and read Which travel insurance.