Worktop Extension Flap

Whilst at the dealers open day, we chanced upon a 2015 VIP 575/4. On the left hand end of the sink unit (worktop) there was an extension flap in the same material as the rest. It seemed to us to be an original fitting. Others have asked about fitting such an extension, so now I know they exist, are they obtainable?

Adrian.

I had a Swift 2000 Allouette with one of those. Very useful they are.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Try getting in touch with your vans manufacturer and ask them, they may be able to help

Edited by Les Medes

Les

We tried Coachman as well as the dealers and was told definitely no. Not only didn't they exist but we couldn't buy a piece of worktop to match to make one. In the end hubby made one from some black worktop that our son had over from his fitted kitchen and after several rub downs and various applications got a very good match.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

We tried Coachman as well as the dealers and was told definitely no. Not only didn't they exist but we couldn't buy a piece of worktop to match to make one. In the end hubby made one from some black worktop that our son had over from his fitted kitchen and after several rub downs and various applications got a very good match.

Well, we saw one today! Honest!

Well, we saw one today! Honest!

Any chance of you going back and asking the dealer?

It was only the promise of making me one that I agreed to have the caravan as without it there is hardly any workspace as we have our TV on the unit behind the kitchen.

Edited by LongTimeCaravaner

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

I used the wood that covered the sink so the match was perfect. Problem was getting something solid enough to take prop for holding it up level with worktop.

Problem was getting something solid enough to take prop for holding it up level with worktop.

On a previous caravan I added a hinged flap that was supported on a small wooden block fixed to the wall. The flap hinged over on top of the existing worktop when not in use as it could not be folded vertically against the kitchen unit - because someone put a wooden block in the way :rolleyes:

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Ours has one but we only use it when preparing sandwiches or nibbles, we prefer it upright as it stops anything that's cooked/fried etc from splashing onto the seats or anyone sat on them.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Any chance of you going back and asking the dealer?

It was only the promise of making me one that I agreed to have the caravan as without it there is hardly any workspace as we have our TV on the unit behind the kitchen.

The dealer told us that the 'van was supplied with this flap in place. He wouldn't be drawn any further. No, he didn't know how to get another, nor why our 2015 VIP 565/4 didn't have one, nor why we were told we couldn't have one or get one. Stalemate?

• Like 1

If possible some pictures of the worktop extension would be very interesting

I agree, but it's a 45 min drive each way and work gets in the way! It is sitting in the Dealership Nr Storrington/Pulborough W. Sussex.

I agree, but it's a 45 min drive each way and work gets in the way! It is sitting in the Dealership Nr Storrington/Pulborough W. Sussex.

Are there pictures of it on their website?

Our 2005 Elddis Avante that we traded in had the worktop extension that dropped down. It also had another one that slid out just above the fridge. It was great for that little extra space you needed.

Hmm. , probably because it was "just in, awaiting preparation". It's there. Why not nip over and look for yourself?

• 3 years later...
On 04/02/2017 at 18:36, standrewac said:

Whilst at the dealers open day, we chanced upon a 2015 VIP 575/4. On the left hand end of the sink unit (worktop) there was an extension flap in the same material as the rest. It seemed to us to be an original fitting. Others have asked about fitting such an extension, so now I know they exist, are they obtainable?

Adrian.

Hi

They probably are, check with Coachman. I have just ordered one for my VIP 545 2017 you would need worktop + 2  x  brackets + 4 x seals bit pricey at about £100 for everything, most expensive being the worktop. You may be able to match yours with an offcut from a worktop supplier and buy the brackets off Amazon for about £12 pair.

Hope this helps, good luck

I did this earlier this year, easy to do and makes a big difference. 

It may depend on the kitchen or caravan layout but we have one on ours and it has never been used. It does get in then way when you need to get under the seat to switch on the electrics or drain the water. If it would not leave holes in the side of the kitchen I would remove it.

Sorry to be the odd one out on this, but 2020 VIP ordered in January and at the February NEC spoke to Elliot Hibbs who volunteered that the flap was an optional extra FOR EXCLUSION if not required; just tell the dealership to mark up the order form!! No flap therefore in our van.

Our reason for not having it is that we felt it would be too easy to knock something off onto the upholstery. Might be wrong but pleased we did not have it fitted.

Bernard in Tring

We found the worktop extension shelf fitted to our van very useful extra workspace. So much so I was persuaded by SWMBO to make another fold down shelf for the other end of the kitchen, only this time wood coloured to be less obvious. Used the same locking hinged supports as the original. As suggested above you just need to be careful what you put on there in case you knock off onto upholstery or bed below. I am under very strict instructions !!! But very useful all the same.

WorktopShelf.thumb.jpg.32b797a88ce2cafb8cb5ad2ca9147238.jpg

ExtraShelf.thumb.jpg.34de572e0a8d18039623b54ddfc3a911.jpg

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

I wanted a drop-down shelf to put my TV on.   I saw some shelving in Homebase which matched the existing furniture in the van so I bought a 3' length and cut one to the size I needed.

P1020987.JPG.239701b6a8930466e22058eede6da0b1.JPG

P1020990.JPG.c35a4923977a2d593cbc1544b1a7625d.JPG

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Bailey (Prima Leisure) do a fold up worktop extension kit at a price!

Flap and hinges (2) come in at £112 :o

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills