Huawei E5220 Mi-fi

I have a 20GB sim card in my phone, and I hardly get anywhere close to using tha amount of data, so I assume I wouldn't benefit from a MiFi? Or will it get a better signal than a mobile phone?

Almost certainly 'yes'. I tend to use '3' mifi sims and it is rare for the mifi not to improve the signal significantly compared with either of our phones. Many here will also show even further improvement by using an external aerial on the mifi but I have had mixed success with that.

Sam :beardy:

Range Rover Sport - Auto Sleepers Kensington

Well, I have finally bought a 5330 and a 3 Mobile 12 Gb SIM, after having difficulty getting WiFi on a site in the Dordogne last month where you had to go to the reception area to get a signal, we met a friend who had one and I was well impressed. I will be putting it to the test this week when we will be away for four nights and then in Sept/Oct in France and Spain, so fingers crossed

Les

Well, I have finally bought a 5330 and a 3 Mobile 12 Gb SIM, after having difficulty getting WiFi on a site in the Dordogne last month where you had to go to the reception area to get a signal, we met a friend who had one and I was well impressed. I will be putting it to the test this week when we will be away for four nights and then in Sept/Oct in France and Spain, so fingers crossed

I don't think you'll be disappointed. We've been using a Mifi unit & "3" data sims on the continent (and in the U. K.) for a few years now. Only a couple of places have we failed to get a signal and one such place is Black Horse Farm CMC site nr. Folkestone! The Mifi has worked on a site in the Lake District where phone signals are poor - definitely pulls in a stronger signal. We will be using ours on our travels down to Austria next month.

Glen.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

I'd only need it for a forthcoming 2 week holiday. Can these '3' SIM cards be purchased without contract and without any commitment to top up? I'd be using it for the 2 weeks and then wouldn't need it again until next year.

I'd only need it for a forthcoming 2 week holiday. Can these '3' SIM cards be purchased without contract and without any commitment to top up? I'd be using it for the 2 weeks and then wouldn't need it again until next year.

The large capacity pre-paid Three data sims have a 12 month time limit. Smaller versions have a shorter validity.

s-l225.jpg

Right, so that sim would work for my purpose then. Only needing to top up if I use all the data during my 2 week holiday. Thanks.

Was going to ask which is the best Huawei model these days but I've just checked the '3' website and discovered they don't have any signal cover where I'm going in Pembroke Wales

Edited by Guest

Right, so that sim would work for my purpose then. Only needing to top up if I use all the data during my 2 week holiday. Thanks.

Was going to ask which is the best Huawei model these days but I've just checked the '3' website and discovered they don't have any signal cover where I'm going in Pembroke Wales

If you get an unlocked unit you can buy any PAYG Data Sim to go in it, especially for the UK. I usually use "3" sims, but do pick up EE ones when on offer too, just be sure to buy Data sims, not phone sims which include data.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

I tend to buy the 1gb "3" data sims when they are on offer and use it in the van for the week we are away. cheaper than the on-site wifi or club wifi's. works out to about £3-£5. 00 for the week .

Nissan X trail Dci 150 Sport - Bailey Ranger 520 /4

A pal put me onto the web site mymemory I have just bought a 12 Gb 3 Mobile SIM for £24. 99 delivered that will last 12 months from the date I start using it

Les

I use the Huawei E5577 which is a 4G unit with the aerial connections. I also have a roof mounted aerial which boosts the signal no end. The aerial also has a WiFi element which is connected to a WiFi adapter which pulls in WiFi signals from over a mile away. This means I can connect my laptop to the WiFi adapter and pick up WiFi from the reception for free. I can also use the Huawei unit as a WiFi extender which picks up the local WiFi signal and allows me to connect up to ten WiFi enabled units.

I'll be honest, I found the 3 sim to have dreadful download speeds whilst abroad so bought local cards to overcome the problem. They were generally poor also. I was achieving speeds of less than 1Mb for most of my trip and never saw 4G all the time I was away (almost 7 weeks) from France to Croatia. I know someone who purchased a SatFi dish at about £3. 5k and that's working ok. Sims work great here but the continent just isn't set up for fast internet yet.

Edited by Vanmaster Man

I use the Huawei E5577 which is a 4G unit with the aerial connections. I also have a roof mounted aerial which boosts the signal no end. The aerial also has a WiFi element which is connected to a WiFi adapter which pulls in WiFi signals from over a mile away. This means I can connect my laptop to the WiFi adapter and pick up WiFi from the reception for free. I can also use the Huawei unit as a WiFi extender which picks up the local WiFi signal and allows me to connect up to ten WiFi enabled units.

I'll be honest, I found the 3 sim to have dreadful download speeds whilst abroad so bought local cards to overcome the problem. They were generally poor also. I was achieving speeds of less than 1Mb for most of my trip and never saw 4G all the time I was away (almost 7 weeks) from France to Croatia. I know someone who purchased a SatFi dish at about £3. 5k and that's working ok. Sims work great here but the continent just isn't set up for fast internet yet.

Could you give us the name of your aerial please? I have had a couple of aerials and not much success with any!

A pal put me onto the web site mymemory I have just bought a 12 Gb 3 Mobile SIM for £24. 99 delivered that will last 12 months from the date I start using it

Someone previously mentioned to ensure I buy a data only sim, and not one with free calls & texts. Is this right?

MyMemory has a 12GB data only sim at £24. 99, but the 12GB data sim with calls & texts is only £18. 75

35188971023_482f701ded_z.jpg

Someone previously mentioned to ensure I buy a data only sim, and not one with free calls & texts. Is this right?

MyMemory has a 12GB data only sim at £24. 99, but the 12GB data sim with calls & texts is only £18. 75

35188971023_482f701ded_z.jpg

You need DATA ONLY at £24. 99, good luck

• Like 1

Les

I bought the Low Profile MIMO 4G/LTE antenna with the cell/WiFi elements.

The Motorhome WiFi unit is the same to look at but only has the cell elements fitted whereas mine has both the cell and WiFi elements so is useful for the laptop plugged in directly. My unit cost alot less than the one advertised on here.

https://www. motorhomewifi. com/product/low-profile-4g-mimo-lte-roof-mount-antenna/

The fact that the Huawei 5577 has the extender ability, you could just use the cell version and connect via TS9 connectors which the aerial comes with and the Huawei uses also.

The place I got mine from seems not to do the unit any more.

At last, that took some finding I can tell you.

https://www. amazon. co. uk/dp/B015Z8EWGY/ref=pe_1572281_66412651_cm_rv_eml_rv0_dp

This works very well just plugged straight into the laptop. It picks up 10 extra WiFi connections from my home address including a pub with fast free WiFi. Almost tempted to get rid of my own system and use theirs!! (Joking)

Where it works really well is picking up the reception or local coffee shop without actually having to sit there.

I bought the Low Profile MIMO 4G/LTE antenna with the cell/WiFi elements.

The Motorhome WiFi unit is the same to look at but only has the cell elements fitted whereas mine has both the cell and WiFi elements so is useful for the laptop plugged in directly. My unit cost alot less than the one advertised on here.

https://www. motorhomewifi. com/product/low-profile-4g-mimo-lte-roof-mount-antenna/

The fact that the Huawei 5577 has the extender ability, you could just use the cell version and connect via TS9 connectors which the aerial comes with and the Huawei uses also.

The place I got mine from seems not to do the unit any more.

Thank you. £40 cheaper here:

http://www. outdoorbits. com/low-profile-mimo-lte-roof-mount-antenna-p-4626. html

It's not very clear, however, how the quick mount works.

Soz - just looked again and the £40 difference is for the Quick mount

Edited by SamD

I got mine from radio-solutions. co. uk

I had a look earlier but couldn't see it on there. The single element version was only about £90 but I went for longer cables which they custom built the whole thing with TS9 connectors at the end to suit the MiFi it connected to. This added a fair cost plus of course the extra elements for WiFi and it all rocked up to £175. Still cheaper than the other lot and full of options for my application.

First day on site with my MiFi Ibought the Howareyou 5330 that came with a 3 Mobile Data SIM, so far so good,glad I bought this unit, saves paying absorbitent site wifi prices

Les