2017 Elddis Caravans Rear Top Brake Light Leak.

2017 Elddis caravans could have a leak from the top brake light.

Please check your caravan for the leak I have used roof brush with hose attached leaning on brake and water starts to flow in.

My option is to check your caravans. .. I have used clear gorilla tape to seal my leak.

Please feel free to post and again this is only my opinion.

post-81385-0-84835000-1484500206_thumb.jpgpost-81385-0-59718900-1484500260_thumb.jpgpost-81385-0-86670100-1484500288_thumb.jpgpost-81385-0-50344900-1484500312_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

If water is entering behind the brake light that means that only a single panel of abs/grp separates the cold air outside from the warm air inside so no insulation? I didn't think caravans rear moulded panels were there to keep the weather out, but just for decoration.

Edited by Ern

Ern

No it's the brake light housing I have a video. ...I checked the window. .

It runs down hits the top of window frame, housing or seal and runs around and then out. ..

Gorilla tape that's clear has been used to seal brake light and leak has stoped. ..

Picture shows that I have trapped water inside of tape.

Edited by Teryy1234

Surely a warranty issue.

Swift had a similar problem with water entry behind the high level brake light which was a problem with the "pocket" moulded into the rear panel behind the high level light.

This was five or six years ago, and the panel manufacturer sent a technician out to check every van of that model year.

I recall having a visit at home, and fortunately mine was ok.

Surely a warranty issue.

Swift had a similar problem with water entry behind the high level brake light which was a problem with the "pocket" moulded into the rear panel behind the high level light.

This was five or six years ago, and the panel manufacturer sent a technician out to check every van of that model year.

I recall having a visit at home, and fortunately mine was ok.

swift also had an issue with the front box letting in water !!

www. justgiving. com/fundraising/TamiTurner

WHY DO THEY STILL LEAK!! Surely that should be number one priority!

• Like 1

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

How long have you had this van? Could there be water trapped inside? This is shocking to read.

I have had it 2 months

And now imagine the caravan will be full of damp . .. but I'm wishing for the best and maybe Elddis will give me good news if they call Monday

But I doubt they will call

Edited by Teryy1234

If the water was coming in via the rear light I don't understand how it would be seen running down the inner wall of the caravan.

I had a 2011 Swift and although it leaked through the front sunroof (as they nearly all did of that year). There was no evidence inside the caravan. The water was inside the wall soaking into the wood.

Never understood why anyone would want to sit in a white box in field looking at other white boxes.

It sounds as though water getting through the light is running down inside the wall panel and exiting at the bottom of the window. This means that the top wooden edge of the rear panel and the wooden window aperture edging are well and truly soaked. The wall board must be sopping too. If they strip the wall board the frame will need drying out. If it were mine I would reject it.

Ern

It sounds as though water getting through the light is running down inside the wall panel and exiting at the bottom of the window. This means that the top wooden edge of the rear panel and the wooden window aperture edging are well and truly soaked. The wall board must be sopping too. If they strip the wall board the frame will need drying out. If it were mine I would reject it.

I agree for the amount of water that is running inside the interior of the wall must be at saturation point.

Never understood why anyone would want to sit in a white box in field looking at other white boxes.

SoLiD? Elddis have had 4 years to get the application of SoLiD's adhesives right so that damp could be a thing of the past. Unfortunately as long as these boxes are put together by people and not automated production lines, there will always be room for error and shoddy workmanship. We the consumer are then left with the stress and grief of getting the situation resolved.

Love them or hate them, automation robots in manufacture have generally improved build quality in terms of accuracy, but very difficult to do with caravans I would imagine.

Still, all very worrying in a flagship caravan, although the body build is of little difference to the Xplore. Same production line, same people sticking them together. I may however be more disposed to tolerating something in a £13k caravan than I would in a £33k one.

Here's hoping that all is well on the 16th Feb!

• Like 4

Hi Teryy1234

I appreciate that on the face of it the water seems to be getting in through the rear breaklight but I don't think that is the root of the actual problem. I would suggest that for the water to be getting onto the inside walls in such volumes that there is a more significant failure of the SoLiD construction seal somewhere that your dealer will need to investigate.

My reasoning for this is that I don't believe the light in question is supposed to be a sealed unit, it could be different on the 2017 vans but it looks remarkably similar to the one I had on my previous van, a 2013 SoLiD Crusader. The break light on that van filled with water and went green with mould, when the dealer replaced it I was surprised to see it wasn't sealed to the van at all (other than a foam pad), when I questioned this the Engineer fitting it explained that the light wasn't supposed to form a seal as the integrity of the van was behind the rear panel.

So although the entry point is the light this doesn't explain why or how the water gets inside which would be more of a concern.

Hopefully I'm wrong and your dealer sorts it quickly without too much of an issue.

Davros

When I had water running down the inner bathroom wall ( where the bathroom door is) it was down to a hole in the roof due to a screw that was way too long being used to fix the bathroom door rail to the ceiling. The tiniest of holes but the water built up in the cavity and eventually started running down the wall. I have come across two others with a hole in the roof.

Hi

Hi Teryy1234

I appreciate that on the face of it the water seems to be getting in through the rear breaklight but I don't think that is the root of the actual problem. I would suggest that for the water to be getting onto the inside walls in such volumes that there is a more significant failure of the SoLiD construction seal somewhere that your dealer will need to investigate.

My reasoning for this is that I don't believe the light in question is supposed to be a sealed unit, it could be different on the 2017 vans but it looks remarkably similar to the one I had on my previous van, a 2013 SoLiD Crusader. The break light on that van filled with water and went green with mould, when the dealer replaced it I was surprised to see it wasn't sealed to the van at all (other than a foam pad), when I questioned this the Engineer fitting it explained that the light wasn't supposed to form a seal as the integrity of the van was behind the rear panel.

So although the entry point is the light this doesn't explain why or how the water gets inside which would be more of a concern.

Hopefully I'm wrong and your dealer sorts it quickly without too much of an issue.

Davros

Oh the joys of owning a buccaneer this is the second one in under a year with a leak. ..and this ones the replacement.

It would seem my dealer in Ipswich hasn't submitted the warranty claim yet. ..but then that's not surprising either as they are profit driven it seems

So here I am about to start the fun of sitting on a bucking horse and hoping to stay on again.

I

I was concerned about rear panel on my 840, I will have to go and check carefully around it now. My reason is that it is completely unsupported and thin, I checked a different avante 840 and 866 and they are the same. On my last van the rear panel was just like sides and solid. On Elddis it is just a sheet of hanging ABS that wobbles and moves in and out if touched or water thrown at it (i. e. cleaned). Probably wobbles being towed as well. It did not inspire confidence as continual flexing cant be good after a few years.

I didn't notice before as I had not actually touched it.

I would say I do otherwise like my 840 and it suits me well, maybe the rear panel will be fine and just a confidence issue.

If it wasn't for Brexit I would have bought a Kabe 600 classic or Burstner 560 averso top, they are undoubtedly much better built. But I think all UK manufacturers similar and none of them are better than the other, unless you go niche like van master or Inos.

Edited by Davedave

This is worrying reading, as I am about to take delivery of a 2017 Avante 550. I have just traded in my 9 year old Swift, and I have never ever had a leak problem with that. Hope mine isn't a "Friday" caravan.

I was recommended an approved repairer by Elddis and today they found and fixed the leak.

The loom hasn't been sealed in properly that goes through the panel.

This took all of 20 minutes and they even helped to fix some other faults.

They are going to check for damp when they repair the other things that need doing.

Elddis customer services did call me quickly and I thank them for this but not happy that it leaked, but at least they helped✌️

Edited by Teryy1234

Thanks for the update Teryy. At least now you know the fault and that it has been rectified, and we all know of a potential problem to watch out for.

Unfortunately it goes back to my earlier comment of the people who are building these things being less than diligent with their standard of work.

If Elddis were to go back to the guy who was supposed to seal the cabling, and took the costs of repair to your caravan out of his pay packet, just watch the change in the industry. Start making the workforce take responsibility for their work. It is a novel approach I know! ;)

I think the problem with build quality is

down to the fact that they work on piece rates, in that the more they do the more they get paid, thats certainly true of Hull (Swift). A friend of mine took up the position of manufacturing director (or similar) of a large static caravan manufacturer here in Hull and the first thing he did was get rid of piece work it took him many many months of negotiation as the work force was totally against it. Anyhow it was eventually changed to everyones satisfaction. I'm told the upshot of this is a far better product with less remedial work required. Admitted it was him who told me this.

I think the problem with build quality is

down to the fact that they work on piece rates, in that the more they do the more they get paid, thats certainly true of Hull (Swift). A friend of mine took up the position of manufacturing director (or similar) of a large static caravan manufacturer here in Hull and the first thing he did was get rid of piece work it took him many many months of negotiation as the work force was totally against it. Anyhow it was eventually changed to everyones satisfaction. I'm told the upshot of this is a far better product with less remedial work required. Admitted it was him who told me this.

Thats interesting, which company is it that has made this change?

Thanks for the update Teryy. At least now you know the fault and that it has been rectified, and we all know of a potential problem to watch out for.

Unfortunately it goes back to my earlier comment of the people who are building these things being less than diligent with their standard of work.

If Elddis were to go back to the guy who was supposed to seal the cabling, and took the costs of repair to your caravan out of his pay packet, just watch the change in the industry. Start making the workforce take responsibility for their work. It is a novel approach I know! ;)

Having had a sub standard van I am not here to defend manufacturers, however I wonder how much poor workmanship is down to pressure, and time constraints placed on staff by the directors to get the units built asap to improve cash flow and reduce costs.

The company was Willerby Caravans a very large manufacturer of static vans. As I said initially they was much resistance to the change from all quarters. I'm told the work force and the management are all now happy with this. This was about 3 or more years ago. My friend left the company a year ago. (Not related)😆

I was told by someone who had worked at one of the major manufacturers. That they were paid by the number they got through the door and there was no quality criteria. Basically if they produced 10 vans and 10 came back for repair for faults they got paid more than producing 9 van and none coming back.

I am not going to say which manufacturer for the following three reasons

1. He might not have been telling me the truth (although I believe him)

2. It might no longer be true

3. For all I know all manufacturers use the system to pay their work force.