Does Caravanning Get Easier?

Poppymay

About 45 mins to 1 hour depending on how many laps of the site we do and how long the argument over which pitch to choose takes :D

We weekend away loads,

Setup is under 30 minutes as is take down. I have simple saying, "The more you put up, the more you have to take down "

The caravan is fully equipped inside including towels and bed made up, only clothes and food is missing.

Towing we have suction type mirrors which fit onto the electric wing mirrors so can be adjusted easily even when driving, plus a rear view camera.

On site a motor mover makes life easy along with the cordless drill for the steadys.

2 water barrels, one hog and then electric, we leave toilet flush as is so is ready to use, we drop a blue sachet (new thing) into toilet, charge the water up and turn on Alde ( we have battery backup).

Wife has packed clothes away and food, set up telly and kettle and that's us.

Under 30 minutes very easy.

No awning for weekends. But that's a lightweight inflatable porch type, it takes longer to put the things we have in it than it does to erect it.

Edited by Simple Life

Ps

My new un-hitching routine which I tried out weekend gone is to engage mover and turn on, rather than applying the caravan handbrake, reverse caravan a little then unhitch from car and motor move caravan onto pitch. Worked really well.

Edited by Simple Life

Just got harder for us as our storage site is insisting the gas bottles need to be removed from the van, while on storage :angry:

We've been caravanning for nearly a year and i felt the same as you when we first started going away. Now, whilst it isn't perfect it is better. We have developed some sort of a system and have minimal hiccups now. Watching others and have a chat is a good way of picking up hints, and tips, and this forum of course. I watched loads of YouTube videos as well. I haven't towed much at all, but I'm going to try and tow as much as possible this year. Like all things the more you do it the better and easier it becomes. Roll on the next few months woo hoo. .... :D

For weekends consider whether you definitely need an awning, if you can get away without one or have a small porch just to store stuff then you may find whole process feels easier.

Having the van ready to go as wel will help so dry food stuffs, clothes bedding all ready to go in van makes life easier

Keep at it when it all comes together its a wonderful thing :)

we don't have a TV in the van. I want a complete break when I'm away. I can have coffee and be set up in 30 minutes.

I prefer beer to help with setup

Beer after setup :) I have found things go wrong if I have beer during setting up :D

We have a TV but usually used for DVD's or simply pop up the status aerial and let TV do its thing and settle for whatever it picks up.

More important is a coffee machine which does come with us :)

Setting up the TV seems to be on everyone's lists, are we the only ones who don't have TV in the caravan?

We have a combi tv/dvd player which is great for keeping the kids busy while we set up and in the evenings when its their bedtime but excited about being in the caravan.

Setting up the TV seems to be on everyone's lists, are we the only ones who don't have TV in the caravan?

We have one and a box of DVDs as we got tired of fighting with Satelite signals but it rather depends on how long you are away for, we do 4 months in two trips and thats a long time to do without any light entertainment.

It does get easier,we have been caravanning since 81.

We keep our van fairly well ready to go,beds made some clothes and shoes in. Also some dry and tinned food,sauces etc.

This stuff is all put in after it comes out of winter storage. Which is under cover!

We have a porch awning (2. 6m Kampa )for short trips or spring/autumn and a full awning for longer trips.

We can be fully set up from putting van on pitch to awning up,beer or cuppa in hand. In 30 to 45 mins or longer if we have a teabreak!

My wife helps with levelling etc then does electric hookup whileI get the water.

She helps with putting up the awning,till the pegging stage,which I do while she sorts out inside,tv if using it cuppa etc!

Now retired our summer trips will be a month minimum.

We have our dvds in a big wallet plus e-books and well stocked I-pod!

Funny how wind appears when awning is about to go up or come down!

Edited by DavS

No, we're in the same boat, and no intention of having one either! When we're on holiday, getting away from most media is all part of it. It's only with reluctance we've finally invested in a tablet & Mifi so we can check essential stuff online, but intend to ration this heavily!

We usually take a TV and SKY with us in UK but not on our big trip to France in the summer. We take iPads with us in order to keep in touch with friends when we have WiFi. I enjoy the modern tech stuff but I'm not a slave to it.

John. :)

Strange how this subject brings out the !! in posts. There is nothing particularly virtuous about choice of TV or not in the van, its purely a matter of choice. We caravan abroad and try to live outdoors as much as possible only retreating to the van and a DVD after the evening meal has been cooked eaten and washed up after. If we were in a cooler miserable climate no doubt the TV would become more important to us.

Strange how this subject brings out the !! in posts. There is nothing particularly virtuous about choice of TV or not in the van, its purely a matter of choice.

You're right David, some appear to regard the TV as an evil addiction to be avoided by virtuous and clean living folk.

John. :D

Strange how this subject brings out the !! in posts. There is nothing particularly virtuous about choice of TV or not in the van, its purely a matter of choice. We caravan abroad and try to live outdoors as much as possible only retreating to the van and a DVD after the evening meal has been cooked eaten and washed up after. If we were in a cooler miserable climate no doubt the TV would become more important to us.

Couldn't agree more - moreover some people apparently resist all electronic wizardry. .........................................and let you know by posting on the internet that they do so :)

Whatever works for you and yours I say!

Edited by sunshinetours

I'm a morning type of person and I must admit I quite like settling down with a glass of Jura and watching tv on an evening rather sitting outside feeding the midges,

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Poppymay. Your post made me smile - not in a condescending way but in an understanding exactly what you're saying/feeling way.

My wife and I bought our first caravan over a year ago now and I can tell you, hitching up the first few times for me personally, was stressful. I put it down to being hyper organised and hyper vigilant - that's my personally type - I'm a worrier.

Now I'm a 43 year old guy; I passed an advanced driving course on my motorbike; I passed my HGV and emergency blue light driving test via the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (I'm a retained fireman), so I class myself as your standard hairy chested bloke that oozes testosterone - or so I think. And obviously I can naturally reverse a large trailer and need absolutely no tuition!!! And I still found hitching and pitching stressful.

I worried about tankslappers (we call that the same on a bike); I worried about getting to the camp site and not being able to site the thing without seasoned vets wetting themselves laughing; I worried about the caravan coming off the tow ball (50mm holding the thing on to your car!!); I wind the jockey wheel up and down up and down to make sure it's not going to pop off the tow ball. The list was endless.

But like everything else, after a good bit of caravanning last year (10 or 11 weekends) and a week away this month, it's safe to say it has started to become second nature.

My wife has the inside permanently stocked with all our cosmetics and non-perishables ready to go. The bedding is always in the thing and only comes out to get washed like the towels etc and is put right back. All we do before heading off after work on a Friday, is stock the thing full of food on the Thursday and turn the fridge on and throw some clothes in it.

We are hitched up and ready to go in 20 mins.

It has become so much less stressful. Go through your habitual safety checks that will become second nature and off you go. For us (and we are all different) the key is having the van stocked full of most things you need.

Jonny

Edited by Sheltie

We've had 4 or 5 goes out in ours now and it's a lot easier, not rushing it took 20 mins to set up fully on pitch (no awning yet).

Towing's *slightly* less stressful.

We watched somone arrive on a Thursday night, it was getting dark when he decided to start putting his awning up, obviously couldn't see anything at this point so left his car running with the headlights on for half and hour!.

What's the rush, do it in the morning. .

Edited by Keefmac

I suppose when it comes to TV we are the opposite of most, working full time and having a 65 acre farm as well as being involved in several charities and the local horticultural show we don't have much time for TV at home, so having the time to put our feet up with a cuppa and get square eyes is part of the getaway for us, particularly in the darker months.

Being able to fit a good sized TV was a huge part of deciding what our new caravan was going to be.

It appears that the makers have decided a tall thin fridge is suddenly a must have, even if it means the only place to fit one is obstructing the door way!

We have but don't usually set it up. . As we rarely watch it!!!