Wind

Nogger

At what stage would you not venture out with your tourer in winds, or what would you class as a safe limit ?

Honestly,to me it isn't just strength but direction that matters.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

There really isn't a "safe" limit. It depends where you are, the direction of the wind and how gusty it is. It's not uncommon for gusts to be twice or even threes time the average wind speed.

Motorways and open flat country tend to be worse than built up areas and gusts from the side can really knock the van about.

As seen in another thready about the "numpty" who managed to get his lorry blown over on the Forth Road bridge, there are warnings about high sided vehicles (which includes caravans)

Personally I probably wouldn't go out at over about 25-30mph, but there will be those who've come through unscathed in hurricanes and otheres who've come to grief in less when a gust has cought them unawares and either caused a violent swerve or flip.

Gusts can typically get to twice the average wind speed - cross-winds are diabolical on some roads with cuttings and bridges/viaducts.

The physical size of the caravan, as well as it's weight, can make a significant difference as can a high Towing Ratio - and different people have different comfort thresholds.

I have towed in extreme wind conditions - but I kept the speed right down to a point where the outfit felt comfortable.

That doesn't answer your question because there's no single wind-speed that's the threshold.

There's no real advice we can give, There are so many variables. You will just have to learn by experience. I have towed in strong gusty wind conditions with no problems. Just listen to the weather forecast and plan your route accordingly. The shortest and quickest route might not be the safest.

As a rule of thumb, I use the wind speed figures from the Forth Road Bridge.

Have a look at the "www. forthroadbridge. org/travel/wind-and-weather" website.

As a rule of thumb, I use the wind speed figures from the Forth Road Bridge.

Have a look at the "www. forthroadbridge. org/travel/wind-and-weather" website.

That doesn't always help - as today's incident shows a HGV blown over despite being permitted to cross.

In a specific location, I include the caravan when they restrict high-sided vehicles.

Correction - a man has been charged in connection with the HGV blown over - so likely he ignored the restriction!

Edited by Black Grouse

That doesn't always help - as today's incident shows a HGV blown over despite being permitted to cross.

In a specific location, I include the caravan when they restrict high-sided vehicles.

Correction - a man has been charged in connection with the HGV blown over - so likely he ignored the restriction!

Sorry, you beat me to it . .... at the time of the HGV going over . ... the bridge was closed to high siders and there was a speed restriction in place.

Pete

Sorry, you beat me to it . .... at the time of the HGV going over . ... the bridge was closed to high siders and there was a speed restriction in place.

Pete

The bridge remains closed in both directions causing chaos in the area and all down to the selfish/carless actions of one individual. I dare say his employer will not be best pleased to have had the company name carried prominently in the news media all day. The latest pictures appear to show the vehicle upright [edit - no my mistake - still very much on its side but they have removed the curtain - people now working inside the trailer] but earlier in the day the overhead pictures showing the company name in very large letters down the length of the 40 foot curtain side trailer left you in no doubt as to the owner. They say there is no such thing as bad publicity, but I’m not sure!

Nobody in their right minds wants end up in this situation so I think we just have to pay attention to the media weather reports and if the warning is ‘ho HGV’s and caravans’ or ‘closed to high sided vehicles, or however they want to phrase then so be it … it’s probably time for a brew and think about plan B!

Edited by jetA1

Driver arrested for dangerous driving and causing forore in many forums.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

It's not something I ever consider to be honest. I will probably only think about it if I hear warnings on the radio or see lorries with the curtains pulled open on the road.

I have towed in high winds before and found just needed to drop the speed down to what felt comfortable, it did knacker me out though as required more concentration.

My last trip in 2016 was down the A9 from CC Brora to Livingston in october.

The forecast was wrong the wind was gusting 60 MPH!

Fortunately it was mostly ahead and on the side through cuttings-which were the most difficult to deal with.

Over the moors the side winds were strong and the truckies and we were down to 30 MPH in places.

Our tow vehicle was Citroen Picasso Grand 150 Hdi capacity 1700 kilos towing our 2007Swift Challenger 560 1560 MTPLM.

If the wind had moved round to either rear quarter of the caravan I am sure we would have to have given up.

We towed up the M6 M74 in a moderate wind perhaps gusting force six according to the waves on the Solway unfortunately the wind was gusting on the caravans nearside rear quarter forcing speed down to 30 MPH-with all the high sided trucks doing the same.

So to sum up as others have stated there are no hard and fast rules regarding wind strength-there are just tooo many variables.

I wouldn't have towed today, well not if I could help it :mellow:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I saw a new Coachman leaving the A19 for the back roads of A167 & A168 this afternoon, OK he shouldn't have been out but he was comfortable in the lesser winds.

Yes I too saw the lorry over, surprised me as I used to do some routeing for them and as a company of over 700 vehicles in Northern Europe they are a highly professional outfit. .....wonder if the driver was one of their Eastern European staff?

geoff

I saw a new Coachman leaving the A19 for the back roads of A167 & A168 this afternoon, OK he shouldn't have been out but he was comfortable in the lesser winds.

Yes I too saw the lorry over, surprised me as I used to do some routeing for them and as a company of over 700 vehicles in Northern Europe they are a highly professional outfit. .....wonder if the driver was one of their Eastern European staff?

geoff

Don't they have wind in Eastern Europe then !!!! Edited by Towtug

Don't they have wind in Eastern Europe then !!!!

Yes but it might just be written or spoken in a non-Scots manner. ....many European drivers are given sat-nav directions for their journeys. ..'nuff said.

geoff

Hi

Thanks to Bubble 2015 for the link to the Forth Bridge site. Very interesting.

We were planning to tow back from the Peak District to Hertfordshire today, but postponed until tomorrow, due to predicted and actual gusts here of over 50 mph. Hoping to get back tomorrow before the snow sets in!!

Actually, in 15 years of all year round caravanning it is the first time we have had to postpone a journey.

Cheers

Paul R T

I towed back from the West Coast of Scotland on Christmas Day while the tail end of storm Barbara was about. It forecasted gusts of 50mph side on.

I never would normally but another storm was forecast that was worse so as the winds were forecast to drop throughout the day I took my chance to get home early.

It was all going well till I got to Rannoch moor and the Bridge of Orchy, the wind was massive! I looked in my mirror and saw the caravan following at an angle that looked like it was leaning alarmingly. I went code brown and continued down to the cover of the glen. Although windy the rest of the journey was fine.

So in summary, I got away with it that time. Don't think I will do it again in a hurry and unless I have to though. It did prove to me though towing in wind is possible, but not relaxing!

Hi

Thanks to Bubble 2015 for the link to the Forth Bridge site. Very interesting.

We were planning to tow back from the Peak District to Hertfordshire today, but postponed until tomorrow, due to predicted and actual gusts here of over 50 mph. Hoping to get back tomorrow before the snow sets in!!

Actually, in 15 years of all year round caravanning it is the first time we have had to postpone a journey.

Cheers

Paul R T

It sounds like postponing was a good idea :) 90+ mph winds were recorded at High Bradfield yesterday

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I towed back from the West Coast of Scotland on Christmas Day while the tail end of storm Barbara was about. It forecasted gusts of 50mph side on.

I never would normally but another storm was forecast that was worse so as the winds were forecast to drop throughout the day I took my chance to get home early.

It was all going well till I got to Rannoch moor and the Bridge of Orchy,

I have done similar in the past to beat even higher forecast winds and in similar conditions. The M62 over the pennines was not nice with HGVs down to 35mph. Would not have fancied Rannoch Moor though! :o

We were stuck at Beachy head for an extra day due to some seriously high gusting winds - certainly kept me awake for some considerable time - tried to put the car upwind, but it still kept bouncing around - worrying times - but thankfully stayed safe

There really isn't a "safe" limit. It depends where you are, the direction of the wind and how gusty it is. It's not uncommon for gusts to be twice or even threes time the average wind speed.

Motorways and open flat country tend to be worse than built up areas and gusts from the side can really knock the van about.

As seen in another thready about the "numpty" who managed to get his lorry blown over on the Forth Road bridge, there are warnings about high sided vehicles (which includes caravans)

Personally I probably wouldn't go out at over about 25-30mph, but there will be those who've come through unscathed in hurricanes and otheres who've come to grief in less when a gust has cought them unawares and either caused a violent swerve or flip.

You say 'those who've come through unscathed in hurricanes' I find that very interesting and somewhat surprising - no not surprising totally amazing, are there any video's I could look at with a caravan being towed through a hurricane?

Alan

We had a caravan damaged on Loch Morlich site from a gale force wind blowing down off Cairngorm a few years back. We then couldn't leave site for a further 3 days as the A9 was closed to high sided vehicles because of the strength of the wind. We have towed in gusty winds from Fort William across Rannoch Moor, but certainly wouldn't recommend it, even keeping speed down. Not a pleasant experience. We had an older van which weighed a ton which may have made it more resistant. I wouldn't do it with one of today's lighter models, that's for sure. Our current van is a Lunar Ariva, one of the lightest weight ones available. Would probably turn into a hovervan, lol.

Edited by Gogirl67